PC Peripherals New Mac mini Launched.. India Price 44900 (Crime...)

Not entirely Apples fault. You should see the import and taxes Policies Indian Governments have.

Those who want will buy it!!! All Computing hardware is cheapers in US compared to India.Whos fault is that ???

freshseasons1 said:
Not entirely Apples fault. You should see the import and taxes Policies Indian Governments have.

Those who want will buy it!!! All Computing hardware is cheapers in US compared to India.Whos fault is that ???
import taxes and duties are very very reasonable these days. Even more for larger corporations.
If only Apple invests a bit more in India and sets up assembly line for their computing business here.

Dont blame our govt for everything. The duty structure is more than decent at the moment for computer hardware. But Apple is importing entire unit as is where duty is at its max.
Couple that with low volume market in India + [sarcasm]usual brand tax[/sarcasm] and you get these kinda price.

freshseasons1 said:

Ok lets go in the logical way...

mac mini old model prices (all are MRP)

Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz/2GB/160GB/GeForce 9400M/SD - 33900/- (was 599$ at US)
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB/GeForce 9400M/SD - 43900/- (was 799$ at US)

Still Here... good

Now New Mac mini Comes at 699$ which becomes 44900/- here ...

Simply

If $599 ~ Rs33900/-
& $799 ~ Rs43900/-

Then,
How $699 ~ Rs 44900/-
(I dont think govt does anything for the new models...)

Its fully APPLE INDIA'S FAULT...

While on this, I have a slightly unrelated question. What is the excise / import / any other duty levied on laptops sent from the US as GIFTS? Getting it from someone in person is not an option, hence I ask.

Shripad said:
import taxes and duties are very very reasonable these days. Even more for larger corporations.

If only Apple invests a bit more in India and sets up assembly line for their computing business here.

Dont blame our govt for everything.
What do you think i can do Bro ? :) I am a politician sitting in opposition.Its my duty to criticize the Government. :)

thirumalkumaran said:
Ok lets go in the logical way...

mac mini old model prices (all are MRP)

Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz/2GB/160GB/GeForce 9400M/SD - 33900/- (was 599$ at US)

Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB/GeForce 9400M/SD - 43900/- (was 799$ at US)

Still Here... good

Now New Mac mini Comes at 699$ which becomes 44900/- here ...

Simply

If $599 ~ Rs33900/-

& $799 ~ Rs43900/-

Then,

How $699 ~ Rs 44900/-

(I dont think govt does anything for the new models...)

Its fully APPLE INDIA'S FAULT...
You are right.This I admit is Apples fault. But isnt this kind of discouraging the sales ? Thanks for making sense out of this.Nothing beats figures.

Yeah Apple has a lucrative pricing for the Macbooks in India. Sadly the case is more or less the same in the UK as well. In the south-east Asian nations, Dubai and the US, I have found it to be cheapest.

All hail Apple's International warranty (except for the iPhones i.e)! :p

Just like your Volkswagen cars or Ducati bikes imported to India, the Apple products are FBU's i.e Fully Built Units.

Govt of India levies large amounts of taxes on FBU's, so technically its neither Apple's or Govt's fault, as the moderator said, if Apple sets up an assembly unit here, the prices would drop quite a bit.

Desecrator said:
Yeah Apple has a lucrative pricing for the Macbooks in India. Sadly the case is more or less the same in the UK as well. In the south-east Asian nations, Dubai and the US, I have found it to be cheapest.

All hail Apple's International warranty (except for the iPhones i.e)! :p
UK gets screwed over because of VAT.. 17.5% is massive.

^Yeah I was shocked to see that the prices for the MBP was just the same compared to Indian prices. :(

If tourists can claim the VAT before they leave the country, well it's fine.

Apple has pretty inconsistent pricing in India. Some of their products have pretty good pricing and in line with other countries (after making allowance for duties of course) Others attract a huge difference in premium. It seems they set high prices on products that they think are going to sell well in the country. The Accessories especially seem to be a major rip off as many people see them as essential purchases.

A few years back My friend/colleague who was sharing accommodation with me at the time was offered a spot bonus of 30k by my company which he could claim in the form of a product from a list of choices being offered. Since he didn't have a computer of his own, he choose to go for a Mac Mini. He went for a better model than what was being offered agreed to pay the price difference which came to 6k. The Mac Mini was sourced from a local Apple dealer. Now the thing was that Mac Mini does not include either the Keyboard or mouse, so he has to buy them separately. Since he was already fed up with OS X Tiger antics at office, he had planned to install Windows XP right from the start. So I told him to simply get a Microsoft or Logitech combo for 1000 bucks and be done. But he wanted to see if he can get a Apple keyboard and mouse just to match the Mini despite having used Apple keyboard and mouse at office and knowing how crappy they are. The keyboard was the older model with the white keys in the transparent tray and was a major dust/dirt/grime magnet. The mouse was the mighty mouse which was ergonomically unusable for any one with decently large hands.

The Apple guy quoted him a freaking 8.5k for this combo. That's like 1/4th the cost of the Mac Mini. I knew that Apple accessories are costly, but this was insane. :crazy: I can understand premium prices for premium products, but this was clearly not such a case. My backlit gaming keyboard + Gaming Laser Mouse combo cost me less than that and during the 3.5 years I have been using them at home, I was already on a second Apple keyboard at office and as for mighty mouse, In a month after starting using it, my fingers started aching badly and I had to exchange it for a HP USB Mouse. I am not sure whether these accessories attracted such a premium in US at the time, but this was clearly a case of premium for the brand name. In the end my friend quietly picked up a MS Wireless Combo for 1.4k.

Back