Budget 90k+ New PC build for 1080p (maybe 1440p) gaming under Rs 1.5 lakhs

Rohan99

Disciple
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting a new build for 1080p - 1440p gaming. My current build in on a avg 5 yrs old, majority components are over 8 yrs old and i think GFX & CPU Cooler is approx 3 yrs old.

obviously with my current build i'm unable to pay many titles at my monitors native resolution of 1080p and i have to pay at min setting to get a decent experience.

Currently i've set my budget to Rs 150K though i would prefer to keep it as low as possible without compromising me requirement. Below you'll find my spec. and below that a few question i would need answered.

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration
    • i5-2320 @ 3.00 Ghz
    • Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2
    • Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 (2x4GB)
    • Sapphire AMD R7 260x 2GB 1050 MHz
    • Corsair CS650M
    • WD Green WD10EARX 1TB
    • Coolermaster Hyer 103
    • Coolermaster Elite 430 Black with 1 front intake 120mm fan
    • Samsung Syncmaster B2230
    • Seagate 2TB Expansion Desk (external)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Corsair CS650M
    • Seagate 2TB Expansion Desk (external)
    • Samsung Syncmaster B2230 (maybe if there is not budget for new monitor)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • i5 -8600K
    • Asus Rog Strix Z370-E
    • Gskills F4-3000C16D-16GTZR (2x8GB)
    • Zotak GeForce GTX 1070Ti Amp Edition
    • Samsung 860 Evo Series 2.5" 500GB SATA III (System & Game Files Only)
    • Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 1TB (Archival)
    • Cryorig H7
    • Thermaltake Core V51
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Maybe in a year or so
    • Another 1070 ti for SLI if needed
    • A 1440p Monitor if i keep my current on for now
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai, Looking into Prime Agbg they seem to have majority components in stock
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Entertainment
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • AMD, from experience and wht i have read it runs hot and i've had my fair share of replacements for my earlier gfx HD7770 i mean is started with HD5770 recieved HD6770 in replacement then HD7770 all under warranty thankfully
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Batman Arkham Knight - Max Settings 1080p or Medium - High Setting 1440p
    • Witcher 3 - Max Settings 1080p or Medium - High Setting 1440p
    • Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Max Settings 1080p or Medium - High Setting 1440p
    • GTA V - Max Settings 1080p or Medium - High Setting 1440p
    • Hellbalde Senua's Sacrifice - Max Settings 1080p or Medium - High Setting 1440p
    • All depends on the monitor, i'll prefer a 1440p monitor if budget permits
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1902x1080 or 2560×1440
    2. Desktop - 1902x1080 or 2560×1440
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
I'm also attaching a pricing list from Newegg.com, Amazon.com & primeagbg.com which i used for reference. Pricing might be a little outdated maybe by a few days not more.

Questions needed answered

• Alternative for G.Skills and if i should opt for 2400 MHz instead of 3000 MHz, what would be the difference ?
    • Founder's Edition on Nvidia site is cheaper, but how is their service in Mumbai
    • How much difference does a SLI make ?
    • Zotak Amp Edition or Mini Edition ? Price Difference of Rs 4K
    • Alternatives for Mobo maybe MSI/Gigabyte or in Asus the Z390 Series of TUF Series
    • SSD Alternatives ?
    • Monitor option under Rs 15K preferable a good 1440p, my current monitor does't have HDMI input and i'm using a HDMI to Digital Converter extension.
    • Is the a quality difference in HDMI - HDMI and HDMI - Digital (using converter) ?
    • Will a Coolermaster 460W Xtreme support the config i'm currently using ? I have one in spare
    • I would like a little RGB in my case since i'm opting for a transparent side panel cabinet, but don't want to go overboard i want it to be classy and just enough.
My current plan is using 1070ti and in a few yrs for for SLI or OC if the need arises, i'm happy with 1080p gaming but i do wonder if i should go for 1440p.

I intend to finalize config but Dec start, window shop in Dec and purchase latest by Mid Jan. I don't want ruch as there is significant money involved and i don't want to regret my buy.

Attachments

• Gaming Rig.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
From my point of view..

Questions needed answered

1. Alternative for G.Skills and if i should opt for 2400 MHz instead of 3000 MHz, what would be the difference ?
    Since you have chosen to go with an intel proccy, there are far less compatibility issues compared to AMD. Hence my suggestion would be to go for as much faster RAM as possible.
    Generally speaking the 3000MHz unit will overclock to a higher number than the 2400MHz one. So there's that too.
  2. Founder's Edition on Nvidia site is cheaper, but how is their service in Mumbai.
    Why not get an used, under warranty, 1080 or 1080ti instead? It will get you more performance than the 1070ti.
  3. How much difference does a SLI make ?
    SLI is still not preferred by many gamers simply because there are just too many optimization issues that comes along with it. Micro stutter reports are very common on SLI setups. Not to mention that you will need to upgrade your PSU too for it.
    Better alternative is to get the fastest single GPU with the same money.
  4. Zotak Amp Edition or Mini Edition ? Price Difference of Rs 4K
    Amp edition would usually have a better and beefier cooling unit compared to the mini. Google about the VRMs on both and see which one has the better. My guess would be that the AMP edition will have better VRM which would result in better & stable power delivery which would give you better overclocking results. If there are no plans to overclock, then both should perform nearly identical.
  5. Alternatives for Mobo maybe MSI/Gigabyte or in Asus the Z390 Series of TUF Series
  6. SSD Alternatives ?
  7. Monitor option under Rs 15K preferable a good 1440p, my current monitor does't have HDMI input and i'm using a HDMI to Digital Converter extension.
  8. Is the a quality difference in HDMI - HDMI and HDMI - Digital (using converter) ?
  9. Will a Coolermaster 460W Xtreme support the config i'm currently using ? I have one in spare
  10. I would like a little RGB in my case since i'm opting for a transparent side panel cabinet, but don't want to go overboard i want it to be classy and just enough.
    May be get the mobo & RAM with RGB features and along with the case fans, it should give you a good result.
My current plan is using 1070ti and in a few yrs for for SLI or OC if the need arises, i'm happy with 1080p gaming but i do wonder if i should go for 1440p.

I intend to finalize config but Dec start, window shop in Dec and purchase latest by Mid Jan. I don't want ruch as there is significant money involved and i don't want to regret my buy.

3.Very few devs care for sli support these days... so you are better of purchasing a single but more powerful gpu like 1080ti if possible..
PS You are better of waiting for some time as Intel has really bumpy prices.

* Upgrading from a 900p monitor , I can tell you that 1440p monitor is worth the upgrade...but they are costly and hard to find below 15k

From my point of view..
Won't prefer used hardware, difficult to verify genuinity of product

But will drop sli option, go for OC instead if needed

3.Very few devs care for sli support these days... so you are better of purchasing a single but more powerful gpu like 1080ti if possible..
PS You are better of waiting for some time as Intel has really bumpy prices.

* Upgrading from a 900p monitor , I can tell you that 1440p monitor is worth the upgrade...but they are costly and hard to find below 15k

Upgrading from a 1080p, is it worth it

1080ti puts a huge hole in my budget, I would actually like alternatives on current spec which would be cheaper but not without much off a performance trade off

Last edited by a moderator:
As of today, to the best of my knowledge, there is no 2k monitor within 15K. Even decent 1080p monitors will run into 11k - 15k range, and even higher based on refresh rate/ color gamut.

1070ti is a good choice for 1080p max settings below 75 Hz. In many games, you can get more than 100FPS, so I would suggest going for a 1080p monitor with 120 or 144Hz refresh rate if the budget allows. They will typically cost over 20k. If you are getting a 60 Hz monitor, I would suggest to go for 1060 or 1070 at the max. 1070 ti is a bit too much and you may save some money. Also, please do not consider SLI for the reasons mentioned by other posters. One option can be to go for 1060 6GB and a 1080p 144 Hz monitor. This way, you can play current games at 60 - 75 FPS, but when you upgrade your graphics card next year to 2060 or 2070, your 144 Hz monitor will make a good use of it. Just my 2 cents.

I'm unlikely to consider an upgrade for another 3-5 yrs which is why I'm going for 1070ti which should be good for 1080p and 1440p.

I'll look for 1080p monitor with 120 or 144 refresh rates. Thought my current one (1080p 60hz) is good it is almost 10 yrs old. Any suggestions ?

As of today, to the best of my knowledge, there is no 2k monitor within 15K. Even decent 1080p monitors will run into 11k - 15k range, and even higher based on refresh rate/ color gamut.

1070ti is a good choice for 1080p max settings below 75 Hz. In many games, you can get more than 100FPS, so I would suggest going for a 1080p monitor with 120 or 144Hz refresh rate if the budget allows. They will typically cost over 20k. If you are getting a 60 Hz monitor, I would suggest to go for 1060 or 1070 at the max. 1070 ti is a bit too much and you may save some money. Also, please do not consider SLI for the reasons mentioned by other posters. One option can be to go for 1060 6GB and a 1080p 144 Hz monitor. This way, you can play current games at 60 - 75 FPS, but when you upgrade your graphics card next year to 2060 or 2070, your 144 Hz monitor will make a good use of it. Just my 2 cents.
[DOUBLEPOST=1542909785][/DOUBLEPOST]Any advise on hardware alternatives ?? Or are my specs good ??

This is one of the cheapest 144 hz monitor on Amazon. It doesnt have G-Sync though. You can maybe start your search of monitor from here. :)

https://www.amazon.in/Acer-Predator...&qid=1542997886&sr=1-4&keywords=144hz+monitor

And, the other specs looks good to me. One suggestion though. Go for Intel build only if you end up buying a high refresh rate monitor. For 60 - 75 Hz, you can save some money and build an AMD based PC and it will serve you much better in productivity and gaming will not be any less. My reason for saying that is that when you go for a high refresh monitor, you will need to keep the minimum frame rates as high as possible in which Intel wins right now unfortunately. But, for a 60 - 75 Hz gaming, AMD will win. Both at gaming as well as productivity. Lemme know what you think and I can help you some more

This is one of the cheapest 144 hz monitor on Amazon. It doesnt have G-Sync though. You can maybe start your search of monitor from here. :)

https://www.amazon.in/Acer-Predator...&qid=1542997886&sr=1-4&keywords=144hz+monitor

And, the other specs looks good to me. One suggestion though. Go for Intel build only if you end up buying a high refresh rate monitor. For 60 - 75 Hz, you can save some money and build an AMD based PC and it will serve you much better in productivity and gaming will not be any less. My reason for saying that is that when you go for a high refresh monitor, you will need to keep the minimum frame rates as high as possible in which Intel wins right now unfortunately. But, for a 60 - 75 Hz gaming, AMD will win. Both at gaming as well as productivity. Lemme know what you think and I can help you some more

Definitely sticking to Intel, like I said not upgrading for 5 odd yrs.. will look into the monitors.

If budget permits will get a new one, if not keep the current and maybe next year a new monitir

How are the Benq ,Acer & LG monitors ?
I found this on Amazon Acer 24 inch (60.96 cm) 3D Gaming Monitor - GN246HL Bbid https://www.amazon.in/dp/B075HM9269/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Npn-BbBQA15XX

Out off curiosity, how will a freesync monitor do with a Nvidia Gfx

Can you recommend alteratives which I can keep on standby in case these specs are not available or prices have spiked[DOUBLEPOST=1543034848][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm unlikely to consider an upgrade for another 3-5 yrs which is why I'm going for 1070ti which should be good for 1080p and 1440p.

I'll look for 1080p monitor with 120 or 144 refresh rates. Thought my current one (1080p 60hz) is good it is almost 10 yrs old. Any suggestions ?

[DOUBLEPOST=1542909785][/DOUBLEPOST]Any advise on hardware alternatives ?? Or are my specs good ??

How is Zotac 1080 mini, concern ed about heat & noise

Last edited:
Anything from Intel for high end rigs is currently a money down the drain situation because of over inflated prices (due to shortages) and as they don't come with a HSF (for a reason) and run so hot that Liquid cooling is almost mandatory. But I guess, since you are opting for a mid range CPU, the hit on the wallet won't be as extreme as the high end SKU's like 8700K/9700/9900K. But even 24-25k for 8600K is way over priced. You can get a 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 2700X for 3-4k more. In fact, it cost me less than than the 8600K Indian price since I got my 2700X from US.

For RAM, check this video

For the CPU you chose, anything above 2666MHz for RAM is an overclock. You can choose either one based on price difference. Since you don't intend to upgrade for 5 years, consider that too. Unless you intend overclock and and run the RAM at its certified speeds, you might as well save a few bucks by going for 2400 or 2666Mhz RAM. Apart from GSKill, check Corsair for RAM, they have very good after sales network in the country.

For GPU, I would not recommend any stock cards. The custom designs are almost always worth spending more for. I haven't bought a GPU with a stock cooler in last 10 years.

I am using a mini card and I'm not having a very good experience. They have issues. Steer clear of them.

And I did not know that 8600 costs 25k. It should be in 15k range ideally. If I were you I would get a ryzen 2600. AMD platform costs for the overall build are much less compared to Intel. If you're an Intel fan boy this is the time to rethink about that no offence.

I am using a mini card and I'm not having a very good experience. They have issues. Steer clear of them.

And I did not know that 8600 costs 25k. It should be in 15k range ideally. If I were you I would get a ryzen 2600. AMD platform costs for the overall build are much less compared to Intel. If you're an Intel fan boy this is the time to rethink about that no offence.

Which is the AMD equivalent or better to i5 8600k and is it compatible with the MOBO & RAM I have selected.
I main concern with AMD is heating issue, my gfx temps hits 82 under full load.

So no Mini Cards.

Primeagbg.com has a combo of Asus Z370-E, i5 8600K and Gskill 3000mhz ram for 59K

I'm yet to do the leg work and check out shops to see is I get better deals, which is why I'm first finalising specs so that the buying happens quick.

i5 8600 / k have 6C/6T. Going by that, Ryzen 5 2600 / X are closest since they have 6C/12T. 2600 sells for around 15K, AND it comes with a very nice cooler. That is 13k saved right there.

Mobo will be different as AMD Ryzen work on a different socket called AMD AM4. AM4 have these chipsets: A320, B350/450, X370/470. A320 is out of question as it has its own limitation and is meant to be paired with absolute minimum of low cost PCs. So, we are looking at B450 or X470 chipsets. Search them online, you will find that they are significantly cheaper than Intel motherboards.

If you compare CPUs cost wise, then in 25k range, you can get a Ryzen 7 which have 8C/16T, but if I were you I would still go for Ryzen 5 2600/X as they are excellent gaming chips and amazing productivity CPUs

I'll look into it and get back.. what about RAM compatibility.

Just to confirm, does AMD come with a the STD stock cooler or the wraith cooler thing.

There won't any issue with AMD CPU with Nvidia GPU

Which is the AMD equivalent or better to i5 8600k and is it compatible with the MOBO & RAM I have selected.
I main concern with AMD is heating issue, my gfx temps hits 82 under full load.

You will need a B450 or X470 AM4 motherboard for Ryzen CPU's. Also, there is no "heating issue" with Ryzen. In fact, Intel 8th and 9th gen CPU's run pretty hot themselves. Even without any overclocking, the 8600K gets to 65-70 deg with an aftermarket HSF. Overclock and you will see 80's. Ditch the idea that any of these 6/8 core CPU's are going to run cool.

And yeah, no issues with AMD CPU and nVidia GPU. I am running a 2700X with with a GTX 1080.

You will need a B450 or X470 AM4 motherboard for Ryzen CPU's. Also, there is no "heating issue" with Ryzen. In fact, Intel 8th and 9th gen CPU's run pretty hot themselves. Even without any overclocking, the 8600K gets to 65-70 deg with an aftermarket HSF. Overclock and you will see 80's. Ditch the idea that any of these 6/8 core CPU's are going to run cool.

And yeah, no issues with AMD CPU and nVidia GPU. I am running a 2700X with with a GTX 1080.

So a Ryzen 5 2600x for CPU, there seen to be a 2-3% performance difference in gaming and it saves me a 5K odd in cash.

Coming to motherboards, i'm looking at ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F, MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON & GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING which are 12K-15K price range.

Suggestions ??

Anything from Intel for high end rigs is currently a money down the drain situation because of over inflated prices (due to shortages) and as they don't come with a HSF (for a reason) and run so hot that Liquid cooling is almost mandatory. But I guess, since you are opting for a mid range CPU, the hit on the wallet won't be as extreme as the high end SKU's like 8700K/9700/9900K. But even 24-25k for 8600K is way over priced. You can get a 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 2700X for 3-4k more. In fact, it cost me less than than the 8600K Indian price since I got my 2700X from US.

For RAM, check this video

For the CPU you chose, anything above 2666MHz for RAM is an overclock. You can choose either one based on price difference. Since you don't intend to upgrade for 5 years, consider that too. Unless you intend overclock and and run the RAM at its certified speeds, you might as well save a few bucks by going for 2400 or 2666Mhz RAM. Apart from GSKill, check Corsair for RAM, they have very good after sales network in the country.

For GPU, I would not recommend any stock cards. The custom designs are almost always worth spending more for. I haven't bought a GPU with a stock cooler in last 10 years.

what would be ideal for a Ryzen 5 2600x ??

Ryzen 2600X supports RAM clocks upto 2933MHz beyond which it would be considered overclocking. So going for 3000MHz RAM makes sense. However what speeds you will be able to run it at ultimately is going be a bit of a gamble. Ryzen specifically likes RAM modules with a few varieties of Samsung memory chips. But since you don't intend to overclock, you don't need to worry about that. Just get GSKill or Corsair DDR4 kit that fits your budget.

As for motherboard, I would prefer X470 over B450 simply for the reason that most these boards are built with the idea that this platform will be future proof for Zen 2 as well. I will not be able to suggest a specific board since I don't have enough information on these.

I personally have the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 and have no issues with it. I think there was somebody who got the X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming.

Ryzen 2600X supports RAM clocks upto 2933MHz beyond which it would be considered overclocking. So going for 3000MHz RAM makes sense. However what speeds you will be able to run it at ultimately is going be a bit of a gamble. Ryzen specifically likes RAM modules with a few varieties of Samsung memory chips. But since you don't intend to overclock, you don't need to worry about that. Just get GSKill or Corsair DDR4 kit that fits your budget.

As for motherboard, I would prefer X470 over B450 simply for the reason that most these boards are built with the idea that this platform will be future proof for Zen 2 as well. I will not be able to suggest a specific board since I don't have enough information on these.

I personally have the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 and have no issues with it. I think there was somebody who got the X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming.

The X470 Aorus Gaming 7 & Rog X470 is priced similar to the intel one i had selected, where as the Ultra Gaming is priced as 15K and the B series at 12-13K. The major difference form what i understand is the power circuitry & RGB.

So i'll stick to Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming.

For RAM, would appreciate specific options, not good with these thing and i get confused with too many options. So a quick search gives a few options

wht is the difference in 2x 8 GB and 1x 16 Gb RAM ?

Last edited:
All modern motherboards have dual channel (or quad channel) for memory access. So, when you put in two sticks of 8GB in the right slots (1 & 3 or 2 & 4), both of them can be accessed at the same time there by doubling the bandwidth compared to having a single stick of 16GB. So, go for 2 x 8GB.

As for the kits.

GSkill Trident Z F4-3000C16D-GTZR - Hynix chips

Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 - (Hynix chips in latest revision, Samsung/Micron in older revisions)

Don't think there would be any difference. Don't bother going beyond 3000Mhz since you don't intend to overclock.

Back