New PC (CPU only) or laptop?

moshel

Adept
was planning to buy a laptop for my mom, but then another thought came to my mind and I have a question.

I already have a complete PC of my own, I want a separate one for my mom. Is it possible to have 2 cabinets which share the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and internet connection?

It is fine if I can't use both of them simultaneously. But people speak about dedicated download rigs, how do they work?

If possible please let me know what all additional things will be required.

also suggest a cheap PC (15K should be enough i suppose, lower the better) in that case. mom's current priority is learning computers so at max she would use the internet and do the usual word/excel/powerpoint/MSpaint only.

if not possible, suggest a laptop. about 15 - 20K. screen size 13" and higher only.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Moshel

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD Sempron 140(2.7Ghz, 1 core) 1700

Motherboard Asus M2N68-AMPLUS 2300

RAM 1GB 800MHz Kingston DDRII RAM 1500

HDD 500GB Seagate 7200.12 2200

GPU On Board GF7025 -

Monitor Dell E1910IN 5900

Cabinet Zebronics/I ball/ Circle Cabby 700

PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w/ Zebronics Pro 350w 1500

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

Mouse NA -

ODD L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 1000

Total 17500

There you go. Decent monitor and enough for all your needs.

Go with a decent entry level PSU like the FSP SAGAII 350w/ Zebronics Pro 350w ~ 1.5k if you are gonna use this as a 24*7 DL rig.

^^ Thanks for the suggestion but

1. I don't need a download rig. Want a comp for my mom. Will need something little bit better than this. 2 cores, 2gb ram.

2. There is no place for 2 whole desktops, thats why I asked whether it is possible to have a common monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and internet connection between two CPUs?

moshel said:
was planning to buy a laptop for my mom, but then another thought came to my mind and I have a question.

If possible please let me know what all additional things will be required.

also suggest a cheap PC (15K should be enough i suppose, lower the better) in that case. mom's current priority is learning computers so at max she would use the internet and do the usual word/excel/powerpoint/MSpaint only.

A secondary PC hooked up via Crossover cable/Lan hub and Remote desktop should do.

Just curious, if there are going to be used via the same kbd/monitor/etc, why bother buying a second PC at all? Why not set up a VM inside yours for your mom to play around with :)

There is something called KVM switch which can be used to connect single monitor, k/b and mouse between two PCs. for internet, just get wifi router and two wireless LAN cards.

^^+1 to KVM, as per your requirement this is what you need but,

considering they'll not be used in parallel, why you can not install another OS as dual boot and ask your mother to use that, whole money saved, invest it in something useful after some time.

In case is has something to do with filesharing, :) there are N ways to do that.(did somebody said n+1 to break that)

It is better to go for a seperate laptop. It will be more convenient, portable. you can use the system in paralel. Share wifi. You can borrow from her once in a while for browsing and stuff :)

My few cents worth.

Back