Budget 41-50k New rig for VMs and video editing

desiibond

Skilled
Finally ,after nearly a decade, I am going to go back to full size desktop. My Mac Mini survived for 8 long years and I am not sure how long it will last. MacOS is already very slow and I am using Windows 10 on the mini. I am now looking for a rig to support video editing for a YouTube channel that I am going to start soon. At first, i will only need something that can help me learn video editing and if it works out well, I will go with a midrange professional video editing GPU. I am also in a dilemma whether to go with assembled PC or laptop or AiO.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 50K for assembled rig, 60k for laptop/AiO.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
    • Logitech Wireless Mouse
    • Monitor - 2x Dell 24" displays
    • Samsung EVO SSD + 2 x Seagate Barracuda HDDs
    • 2012 Mac Mini
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • All of above ,except Mac Mini
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD only, probably Ryzen 5 3600
    • Motherboard - MSI or Gigabyte, thinking of waiting for B550 series to be widely available. Built-in WiFi is a must.
    • GPU - basic one to start with, to learn video editing. Will buy midrange professional GPU later once I get used to Video Editing.
    • PSU - Corsair VS550?
    • RAM - 8GB HyperX?
    • Chassis - transparent side panel, RGB support. The most confusing part right now.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • GPU - 15k-20 range, after 6-9 months.
    • RAM - another 8GB stick.
    • 27" Dell UltraSharp.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Video processing
    • Lots of VMs and containers
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Prefer well established and reputed brands like ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI etc.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4
    • Racing - Grid at medium to high settings
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Will be using existing dual display setup
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Already have licensed Windows 10 Pro
    • Linux - CentOS

when you say VM and video editing you want best of both the world ,go for ryzen 1700 @9999 as it will provide you more cores than 3600 and the saved money of 3600 can be invested into NVIDIA gpu ,as ADOBE has started NVENC support for video encoding for nvidia GPUs ,get a better GPU .You can increase your GPU budget by selecting ASrock mobos which sell for 7.5 k

Last edited:
This seems to be an old post, so I don't think you've waited this long, but if you have, a slight warning for you: Don't go with the VS550. The VS series might be alright for an average user, but I wouldn't trust it for any expensive hardware. From your description, it seems you intend to run this machine quite a lot, so if budget is tight, atleast jump up to the CX (gray, not green. Avoid the green CX.) series from Corsair. A CX 650 should suffice.
For more options refer to this PSU Tier List, and buy the highest one you can fit in the budget.

Also, you propose to start with 8gb RAM and add 8GB in 6 months, but trust me, as you start learning video editing, the RAM usage climbs fast. I would recommend starting from 16 GB. You can either choose a single 16Gb stick, of go with 2x8gb, with the latter giving you the benefits of dual channel RAM.
There's not much difference between the cost of a 2400MHZ kit and a 3000-3200 MHz kit, so prefer the faster one. (My suggestion).

Also, while I am sure you have your reasons for asking for inbuilt wifi in your motherboard, I would advise against choosing a motherboard merely for the wifi. You can always add in a pcie card for better performance, for the same price difference that you will see between wifi and non wifi motherboard. (I am comparing Asus Prime B550M-A wifi with it's non wifi counterpart).
The benefit of pcie card would be that you can upgrade it to a faster wifi tech when it releases, or carry it over should you change motherboards. If you have broadband internet, always prefer an Ethernet cable from the router. If you intend on using a hotspot, then just a USB adapter might suffice.

When you choose the GPU, choose Nvidia. When it comes to video editing, support for CUDA will be a lifesaver, as the OpenCL on AMD cards is horrible 2012 tech which lacks support along with being slower. The Nvenc encoder is just a cherry on the top, should you go the 1650 super, the 1660 (non super) or above.
For getting started, you can look into the gtx 700 or 900 series, but I would recommend saving up and directly going to the the mid-range GPU, because the cheaper GPU would simply be a waste.

Lastly, while a beautiful cabinet is very enticing, don't compromise on performance. Unless you intend on moving the cabinet quite often, such as to LAN parties etc, an ordinary cabinet with good airflow and cable management options should be enough. RGB doesn't render videos, so you can add it much later, once all the hardware is to your satisfaction.

Back