New Sony laptop worth the price?

Sei

Skilled
I went to Vijay sales yesterday and the guy told me that Sony had launched 3 new models. I've forgotten the names and surprisingly can't seem to find the models online too.

The spec of one of the models which I thought VFM was -

Core i3

3GB DDR3 RAM

320GB HDD

Windows 7 Home Basic/Premium (don't remember) 64 bit

Full keyboard with numeric keypad on right (Simply excellent!)

14" screen (If I can recall correctly)

ATI 5470

Price Rs. 39000

The build quality was simply superb. I saw the newer Dell Studio laptop (costed my friend around Rs. 50000) and this Sony had a much better look.

Now, please don't compare this with Acer and the likes, but is the configuration good? Considering the fact that "It's a Sony" :p. And what about the 5470? Is it good for an occasional gaming session of TF2?

Have to say saw that coming, especially,since brands like Acer are redefining the term VFM.

Considering it is a Vaio, the laptop is a steal.

Sei said:
I went to Vijay sales yesterday and the guy told me that Sony had launched 3 new models. I've forgotten the names and surprisingly can't seem to find the models online too.

The spec of one of the models which I thought VFM was -

Core i3

3GB DDR3 RAM

320GB HDD

Windows 7 Home Basic/Premium (don't remember) 64 bit

Full keyboard with numeric keypad on right (Simply excellent!)

14" screen (If I can recall correctly)

ATI 5470

Price Rs. 39000

The build quality was simply superb. I saw the newer Dell Studio laptop (costed my friend around Rs. 50000) and this Sony had a much better look.

Now, please don't compare this with Acer and the likes, but is the configuration good? Considering the fact that "It's a Sony" :p. And what about the 5470? Is it good for an occasional gaming session of TF2?

the os in the model is home basic. and screen size is 15.5.

build quality is absolutely top notch. sony used to be always overpriced, but this seems to be reasonably sensibly priced

Hmm, 15.5" is pretty good. No issues regarding Windows 7 Home Basic.. going to do a clean install anyways, should be fine.

Any links regarding ATI 5470? How is it's performance?

Okay, just checked out quite a few videos on Youtube. ATI 5470 is quite a decent card for occasional gaming. All set then, going to start the process today! :D

HD5470 is comparable to 8600M GT. And it's a very good config for 39k. Given that Sony laptops are very good in reliability and support, you should go for it.

Sei said:
Hmm, 15.5" is pretty good. No issues regarding Windows 7 Home Basic.. going to do a clean install anyways, should be fine.

Any links regarding ATI 5470? How is it's performance?

Okay, just checked out quite a few videos on Youtube. ATI 5470 is quite a decent card for occasional gaming. All set then, going to start the process today! :D

Do let us know the final price at which you buy and also any other freebies or discounts you get :hap2:

Lazzy Boy said:
Do let us know the final price at which you buy and also any other freebies or discounts you get :hap2:

I went to Vijay Sales yesterday and they agreed to reduce the price by 1k ~ Rs 38k for thr following config -
VPCEB14EN

Core i-3 330M

3GB DDR3

320GB HDD

15.5" WXGA (1366*768)

512MB DDR3 HD5470
Getting a free laptop bag (forgot to check how it looked.. again.. *dumb* ) and around 10 free items (USB cooling pad, USB light, mouse etc). Seems pretty reasonable. Told them that I'll think about it for a day and get back to them. The more time you make a sales guy spend on you, the more eager he is to seal the deal by reducing the price.:D
Will go back today and book the same.
They said that it's a new model and they cannot reduce the price further and not to tell my friends so that they also come and demand the same. I, of course, told him that I will not mention it anywhere :p

PS: A very similar thread is also made in the Laptops section.. If they can be merged, it would be great.

Back