Budget 90k+ New Work laptop - win or Mac?

guptaji

Adept
Hey folks,
I need to decide soon on a new work laptop.
My main requirements are the office apps - excel: will be needing it for a fair amount of financial modelling, ppts and basic word.
Laptop needs to be light and portable!
My default choice would be a Mac but if it is going to be a hassle using it with MS office then I would stick to a win laptop. Please advise.
Thanks

Hey folks,
I need to decide soon on a new work laptop.
My main requirements are the office apps - excel: will be needing it for a fair amount of financial modelling, ppts and basic word.
Laptop needs to be light and portable!
My default choice would be a Mac but if it is going to be a hassle using it with MS office then I would stick to a win laptop. Please advise.
Thanks
You have ms office for Mac too. Works great and you can get a licence for cheap on ebay

Mostly no issues with MS office in Mac and Windows, but very occasionally pptx may look slightly different. If you are ok with the port situation, go with a Mac.

I checked out the new MBPs. I think the office suite works pretty decent on them.
Regarding the keys, I think everything is moving to USB-C slowly; so should be ok I guess. Thanks everyonw

If you are ok with apple tax and carrying dongles, then yea MBP isn't a bad notebook. Be aware that the keyboard with butterfly switches will fail sooner or later. This is a known design flaw.

I will change my statement. The new MBPs are completely shit, my wife bought one yesterday and I'm returning it today, as nothing works with it...if I attach a dongle for hdmi, the mouse lags, sometimes the wifi stops working if I attach a thumbdrive.
Checked YouTube, God!! These laptops are terrible.
My 2014 Air was a much better machine.
If you haven't bought yet, please don't. If you have, return it if possible and get a xps/ gram/ thinkpad or whatever.
Stay away from newer Apple laptops, God!! They are awful....coming from a 10 year Mac user.

I was planning to buy a laptop last month and as a Logic X user for years,another Mac seemed to be the only option.
I didn't buy one for the port situation (wasn't aware of keyboards and other issues) and ended up buying a LG Gram.
Now my wife dropped her old macbook air from an escalator last Sunday and it was destroyed completely (hinge,screen etc) She tried to use my old iPad air2 for her photography needs but it was lagging a lot even with the Photos app, so she bought the 2018 base MBP from a nearby Apple retailer (South city mall in kolkata) on Tuesday.
Right from the start, it’s plagued with strange issues, every time we attach any peripheral with the dongle (HDMI cable, midi keyboard, SD card etc.etc.) the WiFi disconnected intermittently, the trackpad started lagging, locally stored music started cutting off.
We initially thought that its a lemon (as for last 10 years we were using Macs without any problem) but a quick google search and a few YouTube video (specially the Louis Rossman videos) later I changed my mind.
Don‘t want it to be a Apple bashing post, I love their Mac OS and still think it’s much better compared to Windows for musicians, photographer, video editors. But Apple’s choice of hardware for their laptops really baffles me.
I‘m still struggling with Windows 10. It’s really shitty with power management, audio drivers, lack of reasonably priced good quality DAW like Logic, but Apple is really making things harder for people who use their computers for things other than Facebook, YouTube and general browsing.
Sorry for the long whiny post. I thought it’s necessary for people to know how crappy the current MacBook situation is ,before dropping a lot of money.

The new MBPs are completely shit, my wife bought one yesterday and I'm returning it today, as nothing works with it...
Which model was it ?
Post automatically merged:

Be aware that the keyboard with butterfly switches will fail sooner or later. This is a known design flaw.
In addition to zero travel or very little you're saying it does not last very long.

That is news to me now.

It was the lower clocked 128GB base version (2019 I believe, not the dual core one)
Think it's the least expensive one.
Maybe I got a lemon but it seems to be lot of lemons out there.
Now she has to buy another laptop. I don't wanna hijack this thread, but can you guys suggest me another Windows laptop? For now she's storing all the photographs in my laptop, we are on vacation and only have one spare external drive and it's a hassle storing everything to an external hdd, specially the videos of our kid.

Back