Next Step in Game Programming..?

dovakhiin

Adept
Hey guys...
I'm basically an engineering student who dreams of being a game developer one day,problem is I don't know what exactly to do.:(
People in blogs and forums usually advice ppl to start with coding little games like pong,tetris.I've coded pong and tried making a space shooter but I eventually got bored because i don't like 2D games.The part I'm most interested in is 3D graphics and game physics.
I'm fairly good at OpenGL programming(fixed pipeline) and C++ programming.
So if any of you guys have any experience in game programming suggest a hobby or something like that which will help me get better at what I'm interested.
And what exactly does a B.tech graduate have to do to become a game developer in say Ubisoft Pune?

You tried looking at various online free resources (books, open source code for 3D games and engines etc) to start off?

It's a good idea to use one of the many game engines already out there like xna(c#), torque, irrlicht(c++)

You can focus on making the game rather than making the engine that way

nukeu666 said:
It's a good idea to use one of the many game engines already out there like xna(c#), torque, irrlicht(c++)

You can focus on making the game rather than making the engine that way

vishalrao said:
You tried looking at various online free resources (books, open source code for 3D games and engines etc) to start off?

Game engines are a good way to go forward i guess..i tried working on the Ogre3D engine long back but back then I did'nt know enough C++...:p.I think I'll give it a try again now that my programming skills have improved.

So does anyone know about the prospects in India and the job requirements.?I've heard that most game development companies in India work on mobile games...Is this true?

...Find a Diploma or similar Course in DirectX. and take that.

There are quite a few now in India.

I can look around and PM you some from home if needed.

Thats the way to go forward.....Can even contact a few friends in UBIsoft for you,

and ask them, more in detail, drop me a PM incase I forget...

Have a nice day...

nuke'em said:
I've heard that most game development companies in India work on mobile games...Is this true?
Nope, There are some companies which do game development for consoles also for example Gameshashtra.

Though there is a lot of Mobile Game Development there is a fair amount of console development too. IndiaGames, Chembur for eg. has a huge section for mobile games development but they also do develop for other platforms. I have worked there for a bit as a tester but got bored of testing mobile games so I quit, it was fun while it lasted though.

Infected said:
...Find a Diploma or similar Course in DirectX. and take that.
There are quite a few now in India.
I can look around and PM you some from home if needed.
Thats the way to go forward.....Can even contact a few friends in UBIsoft for you,
and ask them, more in detail, drop me a PM incase I forget...
Have a nice day...
Brilliant!!!:clap:...I'm only starting my third year in B.tech though so I don't doing a diploma is an option right now...but still I want to be prepared for this so I could really use those contacts to find out more details...I've PM'd you.Please reply when you find the time.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Roxtin said:
Nope, There are some companies which do game development for consoles also for example Gameshashtra.
Cool!!!..Console games sound a lot more interesting .

Has anyone heard of any good gamedev companies in Bangalore.?I'm asking because I'll have to do an industrial training project for my b.tech sometime during my 4 years.

so u want to develop games ;)

THE HARDCORE PATH

1) LOVE GAMES,ready to WORK 20+ hrs..its hard and fun at the same time..
2)Learn c++,data structures,algorithms nicely...
3) Write code as much as you can.(develop some small games using 2d games library like sdl,sfml.:bleh:
4) Learn directX ,collisions,basic AI stuff(neural networks,state machines etc) :p
5) Write simple games using directX...(DEVELOP COMPLETE GAME)
6) Keep on writing code and learning new stuff,after some time u will gain experience and deep understanding of games.. :)

:eek:hyeah:

some recommanded books

3d math primer for graphics and game development, Programming Game AI by Example,Game Coding Complete,C++ for game Programmers(excellent book on C++ :D),Physics for game programmers,

3d game programming using directX 10.0, Data Structures and Algorithms for Game Developers,Art of game design,AI Techniques for Game Programminggame architecture :D

Lord Nemesis said:

Thanks for the link Lord Nemesis:hap2:.Lots of information in that thread.
gamingstill said:
so u want to develop games ;)

THE HARDCORE PATH

1) LOVE GAMES,ready to WORK 20+ hrs..its hard and fun at the same time..
2)Learn c++,data structures,algorithms nicely...
3) Write code as much as you can.(develop some small games using 2d games library like sdl,sfml.:bleh:
4) Learn directX ,collisions,basic AI stuff(neural networks,state machines etc) :p
5) Write simple games using directX...(DEVELOP COMPLETE GAME)
6) Keep on writing code and learning new stuff,after some time u will gain experience and deep understanding of games.. :)

:eek:hyeah:

some recommanded books
3d math primer for graphics and game development, Programming Game AI by Example,Game Coding Complete,C++ for game Programmers(excellent book on C++ :D),Physics for game programmers,
3d game programming using directX 10.0, Data Structures and Algorithms for Game Developers,Art of game design,AI Techniques for Game Programminggame architecture :D

hey,
Thanks for listing out the important steps:).Only problem for me is getting through step 1.Did you actually work for 20hrs a day at any point.?If I spend 20hrs on coding when do I get to play games?

Is the pay really worth the effort or do you have to be really passionate about gaming to like the job?And how is the experience of working for a game company?Is it atleast more fun than working for a normal IT firm?

I hope you don't mind the slightly intrusive questions.I'm just trying to make a commitment to a career in game development at this point...:).The programming part is not too scary for me.I know it will be challenging but I'm willing to put up with it and I've already made a start.:)

how about using udk?

comes with everythink, you just need do learn how to map and script the game logic

but the most frustrating part of game development is getting/making good 3d art for it

alt least if you never did 3d graphics before

nukeu666 said:
Decide if you want play games or make games, both are mutually exclusive

no cuz game development starts with the passion for games and its the fact that large amount of people in gaming industry are GAMERS...:eek:hyeah:

If you don't play games ,forget game development..;) as you will end up in a disaster..:p

Arrangemonk said:
how about using udk?
comes with everythink, you just need do learn how to map and script the game logic

but the most frustrating part of game development is getting/making good 3d art for it
alt least if you never did 3d graphics before

yes its different from programming n requires lot of creativity ..:D

i do both ..( programming(AI ,game engine etc) and 3d work)..:cool2:

here is a sample of my 3d work ->

nuke'em said:
Thanks for the link Lord Nemesis:hap2:.Lots of information in that thread.
hey,
Thanks for listing out the important steps:).Only problem for me is getting through step 1.Did you actually work for 20hrs a day at any point.?If I spend 20hrs on coding when do I get to play games?

Is the pay really worth the effort or do you have to be really passionate about gaming to like the job?And how is the experience of working for a game company?Is it atleast more fun than working for a normal IT firm?

I hope you don't mind the slightly intrusive questions.I'm just trying to make a commitment to a career in game development at this point...:).The programming part is not too scary for me.I know it will be challenging but I'm willing to put up with it and I've already made a start.:)

yes sometimes i used to spend 19-20 hrs doing programming...:p
if you are not passionate about Games then may not like it much as it involves lot of hard work..
Currently pay may not be as good as other IT firms but the game programming work or 3d work involve lot more creativity and fun whereas It firms work involves normal programming.:tongue:
Basically you are getting paid for something you love to do.... :eek:hyeah:

gamingstill said:
no cuz game development starts with the passion for games and its the fact that large amount of people in gaming industry are GAMERS...:eek:hyeah:

If you don't play games ,forget game development..;) as you will end up in a disaster..:p

That's good to know because I'd rather give up game development than gaming...:p

gamingstill said:
yes sometimes i used to spend 19-20 hrs doing programming...:p

if you are not passionate about Games then may not like it much as it involves lot of hard work..

Currently pay may not be as good as other IT firms but the game programming work or 3d work involve lot more creativity and fun whereas It firms work involves normal programming.:tongue:

Basically you are getting paid for something you love to do.... :eek:hyeah:

I think I'm a little uncertain now.Hmm....Lots of Money or game development...tough choice.Either way I think I'll continue learning game programming for now because it improves my skills and its so cool!!.Thanks for the replies gamingstill....:hap2:

Cool 3D work btw...

nuke'em said:
That's good to know because I'd rather give up game development than gaming...:p

I think I'm a little uncertain now.Hmm....Lots of Money or game development...tough choice.Either way I think I'll continue learning game programming for now because it improves my skills and its so cool!!.Thanks for the replies gamingstill....:hap2:

Cool 3D work btw...

its just the starting as i have decided to do game development for the next 20 years atleast.....as Gaming and Game Development are my PASSIONS...

Back