Nikon D3100 - how can I get sharp portraits indoors

nuvpreet

Disciple
I own a d3100 with a 18 55 lens can u tell me please how can I get sharp portraits indoors ( mediocre lighting ) and outdoor

If you want sharpest photographs from your kit lens, you need to stop down the aperture by a couple stop and focus manually. Still you may not get the desired result indoors as you'll need to up the ISO quite high. And you won't get the subject separation i.e. bokeh either. Since you bought into an inter-changeable lens system, I'll suggest to get the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for better result. It is much faster than your kit lens which means you can keep the ISO therefore noise to minimum and it also produces much sharper images.

You need to find a steady surface to place the camera when you take the shots in low light situations, use the max. aperture possible and max ISO tolerable (w.r.t. graininess of the pic).

If the subject is not moving, then no issue, just click the photo while the camera is resting on the surface (or use the auto timer so that you are not touching the camera and it is 100% steady).

If the subject is moving, you will need to use the inbuilt flash. Normally this will freeze motion at the cost of a harsh looking photo. You can dull the flash a little by covering it using a tissue paper/white cloth to diffuse the light, you can also use a white card to angle the light to the roof.

Of course you always have the option of buying faster lenses (the 50mm 1.8 as suggested by sabby), which will help you to some degree, but for low light a tripod/monopod/bean bag is almost compulsory. You could also splurge on external flashes that have inbuilt redirection/diffusion options. But all these options depend on how much you are willing to spend

Before you agree on any lens suggestion from me first use your kit lens and set it on 35mm / 50mm and make sure what gives you the desired field of view.

Suggest you to get a 35mm Prime with f1.8 this is the glass i have on my D5200 almost 90% of the time.

If you need for professional work i suggest this

Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

Advantages of this lens
Wide Aperture 1.8 means u let in more light, less need to rely on ISO which helps you reduce image noise
Fast Shutter Speed so the image gets captured faster.

Get a good solid Tripod and remote trigger ML-L3 [ebay :)]

If you still want to use your kit lens then make sure you stay close to 18~ mm as the kit lens has a progressive aperture and its open at its best on 18mm
avoid shaking your hand while taking snaps.

D3100 is a APS-C sensor so a 35mm behaves like 50mm
35 x 1.50 = 52.5
Sensor size and there effect is another topic for discussion but this image summarises a lot.
Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg_.png

digital_camera_sensor_sizes.jpg

Last edited:
I own a d3100 with a 18 55 lens can u tell me please how can I get sharp portraits indoors ( mediocre lighting ) and outdoor

Indoors considering the lighting of a typical house the only thing you can do is to use the camera on a tripod/monopod or proped on a surface. Alternatively, if it is for viewing online then you could try increasing the iso to 1600 or so in order to get usable shutter speeds handheld. Using software like Neat Image to clean up the noise (due to higher ISO), editing the raw files, image stacking/HDR are also options you can explore with the same hardware.

Overall, a tripod is the item that will give you most improvement at additional investment beyond your existing gear.

I would also suggest you start using either an aperture priority or shutter priority mode (If its a baby or pet :p) for starting of this will allow you to concentrate on the on the subject more,
Experiment on changing the light source across the face, Let the camera do the adjustments (You have paid a premium for these features),
Keep the ISO Less than 800 (personally I prefer not to exceed 400)

Under-exposed photograph can be easily treated, But an already noisy( Extreme ISO) photography will not produce results you need (Very Grainy Results)

You can manually change exposure compensation in these modes to suite your needs.

Focussing is totally up to you , for kit lens id recommend you go manual .

Happy Clicking

Last edited by a moderator:
Back