Nintendo pulls Wii ads - claims "not required"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ck Nish

Skilled
Nintendo, the gaming giant, has been forced to pull ads for its Wii console in the run up to Christmas as demand is already too high. The campaign for Wii, created by Karmarama, will be replaced by ads for its handheld console, Nintendo DS.

The company says that it has been forced to pull the ads because retailers have been running out of consoles and it would be irresponsible to continue with the campaign.

A Nintendo spokesman says: "We have been running the campaign all year round, but we want to take a responsible stance this Christmas and not fuel demand."

We're making money and you're not

still doesn't change the fact that nowhere did nintendo claim they didn't require wii ads. you made that up all by yourself.

Yeah but they clearly don't need to advertise. Its the gist of the article.

Bastards have got a license to print money. :D

spindoctor said:
still doesn't change the fact that nowhere did nintendo claim they didn't require wii ads. you made that up all by yourself.

Unless you're a literally correct numbnut, you can usually arrive at that conclusion. For further reference, try m47r1m's post. Sheesh, you guys!

Im calling it common sense on nintendo's part...why waste money on advertising when inventory is flying off the shelves the moment it hits stores...Keep the money for when sales actually slow down...

The fact is that at this point Nintendo's popularity is entirely word of mouth. People see their friends playing it and they want it too. Who needs ads for that?

Kid: "Mommy! Mommy! Uncle Joe down the street's said he's got a Wii and all the boys in the the neighborhood come to play with it every day. Can I..."

Mom: "...Good god! I knew it! I'm never letting you outside the house again."

Ck Nish said:
Unless you're a literally correct numbnut, you can usually arrive at that conclusion. For further reference, try m47r1m's post. Sheesh, you guys!

your opinion on the situation doesn't change the fact that what you posted is completely wrong. unless you can point to me where nintendo has claimed they don't need advertising for the wii.

in fact, they have actually given a reason as to why they are pulling the ads. whether you believe it or not is immaterial, because they still didn't claim anything like you said they did.

And that reason doesn't entirely stand up. After all, there will be some Wiis in stores. It is not as if they have stopped selling them for a month. They still have to sell those don't they? But they realized that they didn't need ads to sell those, they would get sold all by themselves.

windows is installed on 95% of the world's desktops. by that logic, microsoft would never have to advertise windows because people would probably buy it anyway.

i'm not sure why you guys feel the need to see something fishy about the situation. is it not possible that nintendo is just not lying to the consumers? besides, it's not like they're saving the money... their advertising budget is shifted to the ds which actually sells better than the wii.

and again, it's factually incorrect to state that nintendo claims they don't need to advertise the wii.

I think spindoctor the point you are missing (and this is true for the Windows comparision as well) is that there really arent enough Wii's to go around. They are selling out as fast as Nintendo can ship them. Which in turn makes advertising for them redundant. The point is not that "people will buy it anyway".

Whats the point of advertising if you simply dont have enough product qauntity to make that ad revenue worthwhile?

So sensibaly they are concentrating on the DS. Smart move as the PSP is starting (finally) to sell well enought to be labelled as competition.

Hence the "not required" quote. QED.

the ds is still blowing the psp out of the water (<-- ds fanboy :p)

perhaps nintendo doesn't require wii advertising. that's not the same as saying that they have claimed that they don't require advertising. because they haven't. reading between the lines is fine, but saying stuff that isn't true...

spindoctor said:
that's not the same as saying that they have claimed that they don't require advertising. because they haven't. reading between the lines is fine, but saying stuff that isn't true...

You seem to be taking far more offense to this than someone should. Please, tell me. Did Nintendo burn your house down? Or at least pollute it till it weathered away? Or did a bunch of thugs who embellished every word they spoke till it no longer literally reflected their actions mug you in an ally in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back