Audio No audio on TV through HDMI (when selected Dolby on airtel HD+ Set top box)

yashoshah

Recruit
Hi.
I recently purchased a Samsung 40H6400AKXXT LED TV.

Airtel HD+ STB is connected to it through HDMI cable. Everything works fine in stereo mode -- But when I change the "preferred audio over HDMI" in STB audio setting- to Dolby or Dolby digital plus, there is no sound on HD channels, though sound on SD channels is OK.

I tried changing the sound setting in TV menu also to Dolby digital, but to no avail -- No sound on HD Channels.

Is the TV not supporting Dolby over HDMI?

The TV has no optical audio input but is outputting one. So I can't connect SPDIF out of STB to TV.

How can the 2 speakers on your TV broadcast sound meant for 5.1 Channels w/o any loss of info?

" 5.1ch Dolby digital sound is only available
when connecting an external speaker through an
optical cable."

Here, something from my Samsung 26" LCD. Check your manual.

Thanks for the response.
All I wanted to ask was -- How come there is no sound, not even stereo (2-channel) sound from TV, when external device (STB) audio setting was DD or DD Plus over HDMI.

My TV manual doesn't explicitly state that there will be no sound when external device audio is DD or DD Plus.
Yeah, but it does say that "Digital audio is only available with 5.1-channel broadcasts." and "To listen to 5.1-channel audio from an external device, connect the device to the TV via an HDMI cable and the device's digital audio output connector directly to the home theater system."

Back