Nokia 6600 vs Ngage vs Ngage QD vs Moto E398!!

yep.. sending is easy.. i received some files on my QD from my friend's 398.. but when i tried to send some files I had to "search" 5 to 6 times atleast b4 the E398 was detected. Once it was detected it didnt take long for file transfers. But i must say that bluetooth tranfers between 2 nokia phones is a tad faster.. (not the actual time it takes to transfer the files, which is about the same, but the time taken for the whole process.)

apollyon said:
^^read my post carefully!! i said i am having probs RECEIVING files from other BT phones...sending is very easy

wierd. What problem ? Can you specify it ?
And E398 hides itself after a minute when BT is turned on (even permanent on) there is a 'Find Me' option in Bluetooths menu, run that when trying to detect an E398.

And Mask, you've got a QD right ? Have you stored Mp3's on your MMC ? If so can you tell me in which directory in MMC have you put the songs in and what program you use to play Mp3's ? And how do you transfer files to MMC after you recieved BT files on the phones memory (Which comes in Messages-Inbox) ?

params7 said:
And Mask, you've got a QD right ? Have you stored Mp3's on your MMC ? If so can you tell me in which directory in MMC have you put the songs in and what program you use to play Mp3's ? And how do you transfer files to MMC after you recieved BT files on the phones memory (Which comes in Messages-Inbox) ?

U can store MP3s anywhere u want. I have made a folder named MP3 (DUH, what was I thinking.. :p) and have all my songs there. I use UltraMP3 to play them. I transfer the files using a USB card reader. But if u have installed PC SUite and use it to detect ur QD thru bluetooth, then QD's MMC will show up as a seperate drive in windows. U can then copy directly to the MMC.

I had tried detecting my QD thru PC SUite software, but it didnt help me. May be I had to tweak some settings but since I have a card reader I didnt bother to do all that. :)

TheMask said:
U can store MP3s anywhere u want. I have made a folder named MP3 (DUH, what was I thinking.. :p) and have all my songs there. I use UltraMP3 to play them. I transfer the files using a USB card reader. But if u have installed PC SUite and use it to detect ur QD thru bluetooth, then QD's MMC will show up as a seperate drive in windows. U can then copy directly to the MMC.

I had tried detecting my QD thru PC SUite software, but it didnt help me. May be I had to tweak some settings but since I have a card reader I didnt bother to do all that. :)

Which operating system did you try it on?
Bluetooth support in Win XP SP1 sucks. It is much better in SP2.
Also, installing the Widcomm Stack drivers might have helped. :clap:

TheMask said:
hmmm. i think i had tried with SP1 only.. havent tried in the last 8 months.. i guess i'll try it with SP2 now..

Yeah! Try that out! 'Coz I installed many games & s/w in mah friends n-gage QD, and loaded many songs on his MMC via Bluetooth. The thing worked out smooth as butter!
Once the USB Bluetooth device is installed and configured properly in SP2, everything's just a few steps away!
Only thing you have to do is enable bluetooth in the phone, set it to discoverable mode, and you are done. The bluetooth dongle will automatically detect as a modem. Even, if it does not automatically do so, you could manually scan for devices from the control panel.
Then, just right click any file you wish to send over to your phone, and in the "Send To" Context menu, you'll see a new item "Bluetooth Device", click on it, then select the device (if there are more than one), and click Send.
You are done!
Enjoy! :clap:

P.S.: Maybe I'll post a comparative review of File Managers for Series 60 Devices on my 600th or 650th post as a special TE Exclusive review. :hap2:

Edit - Oh yeah! One thing I completely forgot to add here is the fact that for smaller files, BT is very good. But if you have to transfer files bigger than 3-3.5 MB, BT is a pain in the tushie. For such cases, a Mem. Card Reader/Writer is your best bet! :D

~HeadShot~ said:
... for smaller files, BT is very good. But if you have to transfer files bigger than 3-3.5 MB, BT is a pain in the tushie. For such cases, a Mem. Card Reader/Writer is your best bet! :D

Tnx for the tip. Thats what i usually do now. For block transfers I use the card reader. for small files i use BT. The BT software that came with the driver CD detects my phone but PC Suite didnt (back then).

TheMask said:
Tnx for the tip. Thats what i usually do now. For block transfers I use the card reader. for small files i use BT. The BT software that came with the driver CD detects my phone but PC Suite didnt (back then).

Which software came with your driver CD?
Most are useless ones!
Better download & install the Widcomm Drivers from your manufacturer's website.

[RANK="66.45.42.84/Bluetooth/usefullinks.asp"]Useful Link on BlueTooth[/RANK]

Also, if you try out this on XP SP2, then you may face problems during installation. For your convenience download this file:
[RANK="www.e-beam.com/support/Switching_from_MS_Driver_to_WIDCOMM.pdf"]Switching from MS Driver to WIDCOMM (PDF)[/RANK]

i don't know what problem i'm having, i use this application (fexplorer) on my friends QD to transer files to MMC, but Ultramp3 then won't detect the song. And the folder is not visible otherwise, like the main menu, but only in the tree-type directory listing in fexplorer.

do you think i should reccomend him to buy a MMC card reader, will that work ?

Or should he just get the bluetooth dongles, and use some software ?

good news...everything working just fine, transferred tonnz of stuff from my friends o2 xda mini...seems that the prob was only with a specific file i was trying to transfer from darky's 3230...it was a .amr file...
the e398 rocks!!..would recommend this phone to anyone...the 65k screen is mucho better than a comparative nokia phone...when connected to the pc it gets detected as a usb mass storage device, kinda like a usb hdd or flash memory...

params7 said:
i don't know what problem i'm having, i use this application (fexplorer) on my friends QD to transer files to MMC, but Ultramp3 then won't detect the song.

err.. u might have done this, but did you RESCAN the file system using UltraMP3 to detect the new songs? coz as such it wont be added to the playlist once u have copied the songs. Everytime u add/remove new/old songs, u'll have to RESCAN the filesystem.

btw, Apollyon, e398 plays .amr files as well. Maybe it can't exept it through BT....
Oh yeah, and congrats on getting an e398!!
Mask i'll try your suggestion on the QD when i get the chance and update.

How
params7 said:
1) I don't know what problem i'm having, i use this application (fexplorer) on my friends QD to transer files to MMC, but Ultramp3 then won't detect the song. And the folder is not visible otherwise, like the main menu, but only in the tree-type directory listing in fexplorer.

2) Do you think i should reccomend him to buy a MMC card reader, will that work ?

3) Or should he just get the bluetooth dongles, and use some software ?

Sorry for the late reply, buddy! I was sort of busy for quite some while! Also Net connx. probs!

1. As pointed out by Masky, you have to rescan the file system everytime you put in a new song in your MMC.

2. & 3. I think you should buy both, the Bluetooth dongle & MMC reader/writer. If this post is not enough to persuade your friend, then refer to my earlier posts in this thread for good reasons.:eek:hyeah:

4. BTW, That software
(fexplorer) which you are using is a total piece of shit. I would rather recommend that you use [RANK="my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=597&faq=2"]FileMan.[/RANK]

Edit: Oh Yeah, I forgot to mention, but FileMan is not a free utility! But there are ways to get the same for free! PM me, if u want to be enlightened on one such method!:p

BIG UPDATE on the E398!!

www.motov398.tk
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=628096

some user/super modder from howardforums has successfuly kinda 'merged' e398 with a V3 Razr's flash (bios) What that means is e398 won't act like an e398 it used to be, but now it has got incredibly fast, video play smoother, interface has gotten better! Free space of internal memory has been increased from 5 mb to 8 mb (don't know how is this possible, he can't just change the hardware with bios file) anyway's, i just flashed it today, and i can say this for sure, people who say that e398 is 'laggy' can now be proved wrong.

quote from the decription -

Feel the Speed! - This firmware is the combination of the best performing
E398 firmwares to date! Does your menu feel laggy? Do you
wait forever for your phone to pick up after you press answer?
Do your videos stutter and skip? Not anymore!

note - all credits go to ' Eyesonly_D ' the guy who has just revolutionized the e398.

on the side note, that's not all, he still plans to release much speedier versions in a week.

params7 said:
BIG UPDATE on the E398!!

www.motov398.tk

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=628096

some user/super modder from howardforums has successfuly kinda 'merged' e398 with a V3 Razr's flash (bios) What that means is e398 won't act like an e398 it used to be, but now it has got incredibly fast, video play smoother, interface has gotten better! Free space of internal memory has been increased from 5 mb to 8 mb (don't know how is this possible, he can't just change the hardware with bios file) anyway's, i just flashed it today, and i can say this for sure, people who say that e398 is 'laggy' can now be proved wrong.

quote from the decription -

Feel the Speed! - This firmware is the combination of the best performing

E398 firmwares to date! Does your menu feel laggy? Do you

wait forever for your phone to pick up after you press answer?

Do your videos stutter and skip? Not anymore!

note - all credits go to ' Eyesonly_D ' the guy who has just revolutionized the e398.

on the side note, that's not all, he still plans to release much speedier versions in a week.

Woah, man! You are really giving me a reason to buy a Moto E398! BTW, I don't think I'll buy one, since my desire is fixed on the to-be-launched Nokia 6681! But I'll try to persuade my pop to buy a Moto E398 instead of the Nokia 6600 he's considering now! I'll need a good reason to make him buy this thing! But, "flashing the firmware" ain't a good reason.:p

He has lost out his faith on other brands after trying out a few phones from other companies! He now sticks to Nokia only! Pretty much like the orthodox people who stick to Intel only!:eek:hyeah:

So, buddy, temme a reason to compel him enough to buy this beauty!:clap:

there is no reason to get the E398 over the 6600...other than mp3 ringtones if u r into it...

As for flashing the firmware....never do tht unless and untill u get it done from the service centre or a expert....its just 2 risky...

yup, flashing can be risky, but not if you have medium computer skills. There's a complete walkthrough with screenshots and programs and step by step instructions on flashing/flexing. Just followed it once, and now i'm a flashing expert :)

6600's good, but i think E398 is in par with it. it actually depends on what the user wants.

IMO -

Pros -
1. Smartphone
2. Lots of Applications, advanced.
3. Video recording
4. Larger screen
5. Heavily Customizable
Cons -
1. Big lowdong on its music capabilities
2. A fat man's phone, lol, kinda looks like one.

E398

Pros -
1. Overall meant at young crowd, termed as an 'Mtv kinda' phone
2. Style and sleekness
3. Stereo Surround sound effect on headphones and Handsfree, the ability to connect to Hi-Fi's and Woofers stereo systems
4. 4x zoom compared to 6600's 2x and has flash
5. Has softwares updates all the time, acts as a USB removable Hard Drive.
6. Rythemic lights are AMAZING and has Bass Beats and excellent vibration system.

Cons -
1. Not a smartphone, Applications are available in plenty for this too, but not as advanced as 6600's
2. Smaller screen when compared to 6600's but better quality.
3. Lack of high storage MMC's in India.

Some pictures -
100733.jpg
nokia6600_01.jpg
6600_LARGE_BACK_75.gif
moe398014uf.jpg
e398-3.jpg

e39830qc.jpg

Alright enough of e398 vs 6600.
N-gages are feeling lonely :no:

~HeadShot~ said:

4. BTW, That software
(fexplorer) which you are using is a total piece of shit. I would rather recommend that you use [RANK="my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=597&faq=2"]FileMan.[/RANK]

looks like the link is dead..

Back