WP Nokia Lumia 720 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbY

Skilled
Quick word on the phone:
You can get it off ebay for as low as 16300.
The build quality is top notch, exudes premium construction and materials. Though I find the phone a bit slippery to hold.
The display is one of the best, don't go by the ppi numbers. Astonishing sunlight legibility, great indoors too. With WP you never notice any pixellation.
WP8 is liveable ( for android and IOS users), and on ocassions better than either of IOS or Android
Battery life is biblical, you can get upto 2 days on a full charge.
Phone is super light to behold and 4.3" seems just right for a cell phone
The 6.7Mp Carl Zeiss flavored rear camera is a giant killer, low light photgraphy comes close to the Lumia920 but beats the iPhone5, HTC, GS3 etc etc hands down. Color Reproduction and details too are very good for a budget handset.
You will love how good mobile office for WP is, you can finally work with .doc, .xls and .ppt files on the go.
Nokia Music, I know this might sound absurd to a lot of people. But I do not mind paying for this service ( free for the first 6 months). Saves me the hassle of downloading songs .. connecting to PC .. transfer.
NFC .. yay on a budget handset
Brilliant keyboard
Ability to use your phone as a mass storage ( IOS users, I sympathize with you)
The best Social Network Integration, Period.
"Loud" speaker
Option to have a wireless charger accessory

Cons
-I miss google maps, nokia maps is very good - but its just not google maps.
-No youtube app, though the web based version is a liveable alternative.

Below is an untouched photo in mildly cloudy weather(5pm). I have only played around with the scene modes in the camera.

wp201305010311.jpg

The 6.7Mp Carl Zeiss flavored rear camera is a giant killer, low light photgraphy comes close to the Lumia920 but beats the iPhone5, HTC, GS3 etc etc hands down.

The low light capabilities put to shame some of the other flagship phones. I just couldn't resist myself comparing it to my colleague's uber costly iPhone 5, and another guy's S3. Haha. Their reactions were at best sheepish.

Cons
-I miss google maps, nokia maps is very good - but its just not google maps.

Anything in particular that you miss? I have been using Nokia Maps long before they were named as Here or whatever, from the days of Ovi - for about the last 4 years or so. I have found them to be far better and reliable than Google Maps, but what takes the cake is the ability to use it without a data connection. That alone is worth every penny (if they charge for it that is)

-No youtube app, though the web based version is a liveable alternative.

Try MetroTube or myTube, both are very good apps, though I am not one for saving to my account, so the browser version works fine for me.

For YouTube, there is an app now by Microsoft, which is wonderful - no ads, and with a download feature. No wonder evil Google doesn't like it :D

For YouTube, there is an app now by Microsoft, which is wonderful - no ads, and with a download feature. No wonder evil Google doesn't like it :D

AFAIK it is soon going to be flooded with ads.

@OP : I do agree with your point about nokia music. It is a very good add-on. No hassles just click and you are good to go.
Virus free, Drm free, compressed but great quality songs on your phone in a jiffy. :)
Per month charge is 113/- INR.

@abbY Did you buy any case/cover for this? I just bought the phone and it's quite slippery. Also, let me know if you did put a screenguard? Or should one put it given it has a CGG2 screen?

Mods: Can you change this to Official Nokia Lumia 720 Thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you people guide me to some nice covers/cases? Also, should I apply a screenguard on a CGG2? The phone rocks my socks off...but it is quite slippery indeed. :|

I call it the sheep in wolves clothing! Cannot call it a value proposition owing to it being almost twice as expensive as the L520 with the same basic hardware. What makes it worth the price is the awesome design ( unibody, slim and light) and of course the camera! The rear snapper reveals better details in low light situations than even my canon P&S! Daytime snaps, though otherwise amazing, feels a bit washed out. The real bonus, and the deal clincher has to be the 2000mah battery!
Examples :
Low light casual click(default settings) :

1a.jpg

Daylight snap, colour reproduction not perfect :
1b.jpg

Congrats on your purchase! I own one in black and I have to admit the White one looks way more fabulous! Great flaunt value!

Pah! Everyone is talking about everything but the case cover and screenguard question I asked above. :(
Guess I'll have to figure it out on some other forum?

Pah! Everyone is talking about everything but the case cover and screenguard question I asked above. :(
Guess I'll have to figure it out on some other forum?
Why does it need a case or even a screen guard. Aint it a Gorilla Glass 2? Case... My My.. Shell out 17k to wrap it as a present and not flaunt it?

Why does it need a case or even a screen guard. Aint it a Gorilla Glass 2? Case... My My.. Shell out 17k to wrap it as a present and not flaunt it?

Not 17K. Only 15.8K from HS18 :p

Thing is it's way too slippery. I somehow managed to catch this thing with my feet yesterday when it slipped out. Like it just fell flat on my feet and stayed there (Only God knows how did that happen). Hence asking for the case. Screenguard, I'll skip that I guess.

Yep. White Lumia 720 is the only glossy one. Rest all have a matt finish.
Found a white capdase case with matt finish. Will get it.

Found a white capdase case with matt finish. Will get it.

From eBay I am guessing? If those are the cheap 100-200'ish priced ones, I doubt if they are authentic Capdase cases. I got a black one for my Lumia 920 last weekend and another for the 520. The coating is wearing out gradually on the sides for the 920 revealing the glossy plastic underneath. It does have the Capdase logo nicely printed (which will also wear out in due time!).

From eBay I am guessing? If those are the cheap 100-200'ish priced ones, I doubt if they are authentic Capdase cases. I got a black one for my Lumia 920 last weekend and another for the 520. The coating is wearing out gradually on the sides for the 920 revealing the glossy plastic underneath. It does have the Capdase logo nicely printed (which will also wear out in due time!).

Yep. You're right. It just arrived in the morning today and looks and feels very flimsy. But well, it'll do for some time then I guess there's been more options in the market. :)

Before transferring the phone from the other OS, make sure you've shortened down the numbers that you want to transfer via 'Transfer my data' app. Windows doesn't have an option of selecting multiple items. :|

And in other news, many people in my office have decided to either upgrade or downgrade (if not for them, then for their wives and GFs) to Lumia after checking out the fluid interface and classy looks. The white one really does look very dashing indeed.

Was in the next store and checked the black one, man this thing is sexy to hold on. Phone's build quality was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back