Nokia N76 review

Finally went to the Univercell showroom at Guindy and picked up this beauty in black. Have to surprise my girl tomorrow, so came straight to my buddy Rahul's
place and then it occured to me, why not post a review for this on TE. So here it is people. Review of the Nokia N76.

Starting with the contents of the box.
* Nokia N76
* Nokia Connectivity Cable (DKE-2)
* Nokia Battery (BL-4B) 700mAh
* Nokia Travel Charger (AC-4)
* Nokia Classic stereo headset with new Nokia A/V 3.5mm (HS-43)
* Micro SD card 512 MB.

This phone is a beauty to look at. No doubts. No second thoughts. From the moment you take it in your hands, it feels slim, light and very very sexy. Nokia
has finally managed to combine beauty with brains. No i am not saying that previous phones by Nokia were ugly or something, but this is a class apart. A very good build quality, starting from the overall feel of the phone to the keypad, the flap, the keys on the front screen, everything is of top notch quality here.

[URL=http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1992wz4.jpg][/URL]

So I'm starting with the physical dimensions of the phone. It fits comfortably in your palm whether you hold it or just let it lie there. Not too wide, but
not too slim, width wise just 5 cm's. Not at all thick, measuring just 13.7 mm's, it can easily fit in your jeans or shirt's front pocket. It feels pretty
light too at 115g's. The phone with its flap closed measures some 7 cm's and with the flap open stands at 10.6 cm's. Not that big. All in all, a very well
proportionate phone.

[URL=http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1991si6.jpg][/URL]

Nuff said about the dimensions, lets get down to operation's. The phone runs on Symbian OS 9.2 release 3.1, and surprisingly, being a symbian based phone,
surpasses all the worries of being slow. This is one fast phone we are talking about. Its really fast. Even with the MicroSD card loaded about halfaway, the
menu and everything else felt like a breeze. No lag at all. While accessing the log, menu, gallery, viewing pictures in thumbnails, et all, everything works
real fast. Pretty good achievement by Nokia i guess.

Now comes the consumer end of the phone. This baby has a 2 MegaPixel cam on the back along with a single L.E.D flash. The camera is activated by pressing a dedicated key on the right side and the layout appearing on the screen is by default the landscape mode. However you can change it to the traditional way, if you want. It actually looks cool, while holding the phone horizontally.Another key just above the camera key opens the gallery right away. A boon for people who love to look at the gallery contents every now and then. THe upper right part of the phone has the volume control buttons which i felt were slightly stiff to operate. The volume control keys can also be used for zooming while using the camera. The left side houses the flap for the MicroSD card, which requires quite a bit of care and caution to open. Just above the slot is place for the charger, and the 3.5 mm jack(Finally!! Thank you Nokia!!) is housed on the top of the phone with the mini-USB port and the power button. One small thing i'd like to say here is that i found the placement of the charger point and the 3.5 mm jack quite stupid. Had they been exchanged, it would have been perfect. But sadly, the 3.5 mm jack hinders the full opening of the flap. That being my only grouse with this phone. Else everything else is just perfect:)

[URL=http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1989sj0.jpg][/URL]

The screen is a large bright 2.4 inch QVGA (240 x 320 pixels) TFT with up to 16 million colors and the cover display is a 1.36 inch color display (160 x 128
pixels) TFT with up to 262,144 colors. Both the screens look fabulous in daylight and lowlight. The main screen has a vga secondary camera along with the light sensor, both of which are quite undecipherable. For some time i was actually confused regarding if the secodary cam actually existed. It nicely blends into the black background. The cover display is finished in metal so has a tendency of being the fingerprint database, something like the 2nd gen iPod Nano. Same goes for the keypad. Its finished in metal as well. So the same applies here too. But other parts are not smudgy.

[URL=http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1999dw7.jpg][/URL]

Putting in the SIM-CARD is something i found very amusing. You have to put it into a small tray like thing which fits into the back of the phone with quite a
definitive click.

The music player on this phone is very good indeed. Though not touted as a music phone, the music quality is very good. It has 5 preset equalizers and they all sounded well set. They can also be edited and saved as per your preference. The volume through the headset provided seemed pretty loud even though the sound was not great, mainly due to those stupid earphones supplied commonly with nokia phones. I guess when coupled with EP-630's and stuff, sound has to be right up there with iPod's and N 91's. Upon closing the flap with the music playing, the cover screen displays the current track playing with a really cool visualizer. All looks real nice :)

I clicked a few pics with the cam in low light and the flash was not all that impressive. However snaps in proper light conditions seem to be pretty good.
Video capture is in .3GP format with resolutions in 320x240, 176x144 and 128x96. Nothing much to write about here. The loudspeaker is at the base of the phone and is pretty decent. Doesnt blow away the competition, but i found it loud enough. :)

Everything else is traditional nokia. Messaging is a breeze. Call quality is flawless. Reception and et all are again 10/10. All in all, a great phone.

I picked it up for 17,600 + processing fee. I'd say its a great fone, at that price. "Beauty + Brains" :hap2:

before i end this, a very :hug: BIG THANK YOU :hug: to Rahul for the help with the shots and uploading the images and stuff. This review wouldnt have been possible without him.

Hope you all found the review okay. My first review on TE. So please do leave some comments. Thank you.

Gratz man on your new buy. The best thing in the review I liked is comparing the cell with a ITC Classic pack :bleh: (My brand) as compared to other people by Using Credit Cards :hap2:

why are all the pics having a blue tint:huh:.. cant see things properly :(

and do tell us what your gal says :bleh:... a lot of us dont have that privilege :ashamed:

thanks all for replying :) The blue color is becuz the snaps were taken on Rahul's desk. I assume all of you know about his uber cool blue neons :D. and regarding my gal liking it or not, well i was expecting to get bashed for spending so much money (yeah my pay sucks :( ) but the moment i handed her the box all gift wrapped in red that said "i love you" all over and she opened it, she was smitten on it that instant. Till now all i hear is "i love this phone so much, and i feel like holding it all the time, its perfect " :bleh:

Sourav said:
This is one fast phone we are talking about. Its really fast

Yeah man wid a 369 MHz proc you'd expect that !!!

What you've forgotten to mention is that da 700 mAH battery does not do justice to an otherwise gem-of-its-kind !!!

@sauron

ermm, i did the review the day i got the phone, so dint know about the battery. But now that you have mentioned it, yes the battery aint that great. Need to recharge it every 2 days or so.

Aah you'll get used to it !!!

See if this interests ya -

Code:
CPU:

Single CPU

CPU Type: ARM 11

CPU Clock Rate: 369 MHz

Memory:

Max User Storage: 26 MB

NAND Memory: 128 MB

SDRAM Memory: 96 MB

~44 MB Free Executable RAM Memory