Monitors Non-glossy (matte) alternative for Dell S2240L

Jose.Palai

Disciple
I need a 21.5" FHD monitor in my office. I like Dell S2240L - it has good picture clarity & Dell has good service. But a glossy screen won't suit in my office. Dell doesn't have a non-glossy version of S2240L. It has an LG IPS panel. Which are the other monitors having the same panel of Dell S2240 with a non glossy surface?

LG, AOC & Asus might have monitors with the same panel. There is no detailed reviews available for monitors below 23". So it's difficult to find exact panel type.

I enquired in a nearby shop and they said they have LG 22MP55HQ IPS monitor. But they won't give an option to test it before buying. Anybody have 22MP55HQ ? It is a new model. How is the PQ & how is LG's after sales service?

Asus VX229H. AH-IPS like the S2240L. Matte finish. A bit pricy at 13k IIRC.

The price for the LG (9k on flipkart) is quite decent. And the usual weakness of entry level LG IPS monitors i.e high response times due to absence of overdrive circuitry, doesn't seem to be the case on this LG. However there's no info on whether its a full 8-bit AH-IPS panel or the regular 6 bit e-IPS panels.

Asus VX229H. AH-IPS like the S2240L. Matte finish. A bit pricy at 13k IIRC.

The price for the LG (9k on flipkart) is quite decent. And the usual weakness of entry level LG IPS monitors i.e high response times due to absence of overdrive circuitry, doesn't seem to be the case on this LG. However there's no info on whether its a full 8-bit AH-IPS panel or the regular 6 bit e-IPS panels.

I bought LG 22 MP55HQ. It's an awesome monitor. It has good picture quality, good colors & viewing angles. Anti-glare coating reduces the reflection. Contrast is also good.

LG website says it has AH-IPS panel. How to check if it is 8-bit or 6-bit?
Menu has an option to change 'Response Time'. Don't know how it works.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

How to check if it is 8-bit or 6-bit?
You would have to access hidden service menu to know exact part no. of your monitor's panel. You would have to press some key combinations to view that menu. I think in LG monitor You have to follow these steps:
First of all Turn off the monitor, wait for 5 seconds. Then press and hold the menu button. With menu button pressed, press the power button. keep holding both buttons until the monitor powers up then release them. Press the menu button once again and menu will be visible. To revert back to the OSD menu, turn the monitor off then back on again.

Here is the pics:

on.jpg

on2.jpg

How is the minimum brightness of the monitor? Do get eye strain even in lowest brightness after few hours while using it for web browsing?

AOC have this problem it's minimum brightness is too bright for me. It is very good for entertainment like gaming and watching movies but can't use it for work related tasks.

How is the minimum brightness of the monitor? Do get eye strain even in lowest brightness after few hours while using it for web browsing?

AOC have this problem it's minimum brightness is too bright for me. It is very good for entertainment like gaming and watching movies but can't use it for work related tasks.

Minimum brightness in low enough. I normally work with brighness 30 & contrast 50.

Also this monitor does not use Pulse Width Modulation for backlight dimming. PWM can cause eye strain issues.

Last edited:
Any BETTER alternative of this (LG 22 MP55HQ) monitor? As in 24 Inch but costing around 10K?! Specially for Matte Screen (Anti Glare Screen for better eyes) as Dell are having too.. Glossy screens (but with vibrant and beautiful colours, and also hurts eyes when used for long hours).

Any BETTER alternative of this (LG 22 MP55HQ) monitor? As in 24 Inch but costing around 10K?! Specially for Matte Screen (Anti Glare Screen for better eyes) as Dell are having too.. Glossy screens (but with vibrant and beautiful colours, and also hurts eyes when used for long hours).

Dell U2414 will be a better option. But it'll cost 18k. A good 24" IPS monitor will cost at least 14k.

If you are looking for a matte finish Full HD IPS monitor, go for LG 22MP55HQ, there's no better option below 10k.

Thank you Jose. But is it too dull as compared to Dell S2240l? Everyone says dell has the best display which I agree with, but I have to spend lot of time in front of computer and that too continuously for many long hours. So I got this complaint from few of my friends that it's beautiful and vibrant display hurts eyes very soon. If not something else then I will go with LG only. Don't know much about Asus or AOC monitors. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you Jose. But is it too dull as compared to Dell S2240l? Everyone says dell has the best display which I agree with, but I have to spend lot of time in front of computer and that too continuously for many long hours. So I got this complaint from few of my friends that it's beautiful and vibrant display hurts eyes very soon. If not something else then I will go with LG only. Don't know much about Asus or AOC monitors. Thanks for your reply.

Both Dell S2240L and LG 22MP55HQ have LG AH-IPS panel. The only difference is that Dell has glossy & LG has matte finish.

Thanks, I have decided to go with LG. But I am confused between 23MP65HQ, 23EA53 and 23MP55HQ? Will settle for cheapest one.

22" vs 23" won't make a noticeable difference. I would suggest you to get 22MP55HQ which I am using right now. I bought it for 9.2k. It has AH-IPS panel & has good picture quality. I don't know about panel type &pq of other models. EA53 is an older model. MPxx are the latest models.

Oh. Ok. Will go with 22MP55HQ only then. I was feeling that it's a bit uncomfortable to sit in front of an 24" screen and work. Because it feels to big to grasp everything at one time. Just a thought. I mean you can't focus completely, therefore thought may be 23"" will be better. But yes even you are right, it won't make much difference. Thanks for clearing up this silly thing for me. But I think 22MP55HQ is not available. Instead 22MP56HQ is there. Don't like the silver frame. Will look out of place.

Sadly 22MP55HQ has been discontinued, and have been replaced with 22MP56HQ. Will have to go with 23" then.

Any comments on AOC LED 22" (I-2269VWM) ?

Sadly 22MP55HQ has been discontinued
Clearly LG hasn't got that memo. AFAIK the panel was launched barely 2~3 months ago.
Did a dealer tell you this because he had no stock?
wyGtIK3.jpg

Anyway, the AOC seems decent too. AH-IPS with the same mild matte finish.

Yes Eddy. I too told told him that the Website says the opposite thing, but he confirmed me. That's why I too kinda believed him. The only problem with MP56 is the Silver colour, which I think gives a bad plastic feeling and it will look out of place in the whole system (once it gets build). I believe, I read somewhere that AOC has IPS panel but without Anti Glare Screen, whereas MP56 has an Anti Glare Film.

Back