noob friendly C++ IDE in ubuntu

greenhorn

Patron
this one's for my sis.

tried out anjuta, but way too complex. she needs a window where she can simply choose new C++ program, tyoe something , compile it and run it.

tried out geany, but conio.h is nowhere to be found.

whattodo :ashamed:

conio.h hmm, you are trying to compile programs of old format (turbo c/borland compiler -- right?). I haven't hit anything "native" to linux that can run those pre 2000 syntax programs (nor have I tried to find any). Is it possible (because it is better to learn) that she can upgrade to new/current C++ syntax?

But sometimes it hardly matters and you just need to be able to compete with others in academics, so this shall help:

Help For Linux: Install Borland Turbo C++ in Ubuntu

The easiest way according to me is to use gedit, and then compile from command line. No fuss, and it works too. But yea, you will need the required header files in place.

greenhorn said:
this one's for my sis.
tried out anjuta, but way too complex. she needs a window where she can simply choose new C++ program, tyoe something , compile it and run it.
tried out geany, but conio.h is nowhere to be found.
whattodo :ashamed:

Dude anjuta is the answer to every problem you mentioned. Its not complex at all. Just create a new C++ project (the extension could be .cc), type the code and select build/run to compile/run.
And conio.h does not exist according to ANSI C++. Why do you need it anyway? If its for getch() then simply put
cin.get();
cin.ignore();
before the return statement of the main (you will need to use namespace std)

yeah i also think anjuta isnt so complex. maybe it appears so because it includes everything.

theres always good ol' vi.

the problem was that it had a hugely complex new project dialog. even I couldnt figure it out :ashamed:

her college profs want programs written a certain way, and not necessarily the right way. and i sure as hell dont want to take a risk with her marks.

as you all know , there are two ways to learn something - to understand it , and to pass an exam, and this request belongs to the latter category

^If that is the case then forget the IDE. Use any editor in Ubuntu Gedit or Kate and write the c++ code using the ANSI standard.

Save the file as .cc
open the terminal and navigate to the folder where you saved the file.
type g++ <filename>.cc (you should have g++ compiler for C++ for this, mostly it comes with Ubuntu, if then then use the package explorer to search for it and download it)
a "a.out" will be generated after the compilation. Use the command ./a.out to run the program from the terminal.

Sorry I cannot point you to other IDE's in ubuntu, but the above methed is excellent for running single file programs. No need to get into the "Create Project" hassles.

^However if someone runs that code in Unix again, it would not work. Would it not be simpler than to code just in Windows rather than booting into Linux and then using Wine to simulate an windows application? Correct me if I am wrong.

her system doesnt have windows installed :p

or at least not a working one for now, and i cant be bothered to reinstall it at the moment !

Hi,

Why won't you use QT from Trolltech which recently got acquired by Nokia.

Its an interesting thing, considering its ability and future...

Its going to be LGPL

IDE -Anjuta or Eclipse.

if not ,for turbo c addicts ,get motor ,it looks like the same old borland blue :p
For me ,I too am learning C(not cpp) just for fun ;) and uses gcc-4.3(almost standards compliant ansi/iso) for compiling and vim for writing codes.

Back