Audio Noob Need Upgrade from EP-630 to Audio Heaven

Hello,

I have been using my trusted EP-630 for almost 2 years now.

After reading about the hundreds of brands of earphones on TE, I felt the need to upgrade to better ones.

Music genre I listen to is usually - Alternative,and rarely Rock (not much of metal or grunge) and I watch movies and tv-shows on my ipod touch.

I have no idea about the bass or treble or sound-stage or mids or highs or lows :ashamed:

Budget is 5K, willing to shell out some moolah on an amp if need be.

the EP 630 is pretty close to heaven. you might find out soon that for the money you're gonna invest, you're not gonna get much further

pl11 is slightly better , only because of the better choice of tips.

with the same tips, i found them to sound similar :ashamed:

EDIT: +1 to what esanthosh's said below. i've gone down that path, and its not worth it

Most of the plugs you buy depends on how they are driven, amps are not necessary all the time, it just honestly depends on what you are comfortable with. I have 5 pairs of Plugs, from the Ep - 630 to the PL-30's ive tried all the entry level to the mid range (around 1200 INR). Next the choice of tips makes a lot of difference. The Pl-11's are an ideal upgrade to the Ep630's, if you really want to drive them a little better just pick up an E5 or E3 from FiiO and burn them in for about 40-60 hours.

Alternatively, if you know anyone who lives nearby and has the Pl-11's then i'd suggest you to check them out and compare it with the Ep-630's. If it suits your needs. Then pick em up. :)

1. Do not spend 5K.
  2. There's no "heaven" in audio. Only an endless series of upgrades and empty wallets :bleh:
  3. If you HAVE to spend 5K, try 2/3 IEMs with completely different sound signatures. You will not only learn what the terms like sound stage, bass etc., mean (by comparing them), but chances are you might like a completely different presentation compared to EP-630 you are used to.

Get the nuforce NE-6 and enjoy it for a couple of years.

Sad side story: Somebody stole mine from within my pocket when I was waiting in a line to buy tickets at the station :( (Luckyly, I also had my HD2 in the same pocket which escaped being nicked)

greenhorn said:
the EP 630 is pretty close to heaven. you might find out soon that for the money you're gonna invest, you're not gonna get much further
Sir that's so no true . Once you get the taste of some real good IEMs EP-630 surely sounds crap and no where close to heaven .. :bleh:

One thing is true after a point of time you don't get much for your investment and the difference is pretty small .Its more likely to turn into a investment of diminishing returns after a level .. But definitely not after EP-630.

I have moved on from EP-630 to PL-30 , RE-2 ,RE-0 ,countless other entrylevel & midrange IEMs and now finally settled for the flagship RE-252 which are one of the finest universal IEMs under 300$ . Every earphone has its own pros and cons and a very unique sound signature .At each level there's a big difference in sound quality and easily appreciated by most users.

Today I tried a pair of Ultimate Ears Tripple fi and was blown away by its sound quality but then I know I wont be gaining much moving onto TF10, so I stopped my self from making another purchase.

Anyways coming to the OPs query , since you haven't mentioned any preference about what sort of sound you like or if you want heave boomy bass, neutral / balanced sound etc. Kilpsch S4 is one of the safest bet under 5k. If you can describe what you are exactly looking for or maybe just tell me what you like and don't like about EP-630 , I could help you with more suggestions... ;)

Kumar said:

Sad side story: Somebody stole mine from within my pocket when I was waiting in a line to buy tickets at the station :( (Luckyly, I also had my HD2 in the same pocket which escaped being nicked)

Sorry to hear about your NE6 . They are one of the best IEMs for the price and safest bet for anyone upgrading from EP-630 , as you get amazing lower midrange , soundstage without missing out on heavy bass .Infact its bass is one of the best of all IEMs Ive tried .;)

@ OP .If you are not sure about spending 4-5k .. I suggest you get a NE6 or RE2 under 2k ,depending on weather you want bass and more instrumental focused sound or balanced sound with little low bass.

greenhorn said:

LOL you have no idea about the ones in the mid & higher-up segment unless you listen to them. The EP630 is perhaps disregarded ATM for being muddy and boomy bass. :bleh:

People don't even suggest the EP630/635 but the PL11 as the entry level IEMs. You should listen to the RE0 and the RE1 if you can get a chance to. :)
And the difference isn't non-linear if I may add. Something like the exponential curve. :p

Kumar said:

Kumar sir, where in the earth have you been for so long? :O

PS: Gannu here, if you can recollect me.

Desecrator said:
LOL you have no idea about the ones in the mid & higher-up segment unless you listen to them. The EP630 is perhaps disregarded ATM for being muddy and boomy bass. :bleh:

People don't even suggest the EP630/635 but the PL11 as the entry level IEMs. You should listen to the RE0 and the RE1 if you can get a chance to. :)
And the difference isn't non-linear if I may add. Something like the exponential curve. :p
Kumar sir, where in the earth have you been for so long? :O

PS: Gannu here, if you can recollect me.

Gannu! no wonder i haven't seen you around..!

Exponential curve? :p

Yeah, the best bet for the op is to get an ne-6. Should be an immediately noticeable improvement over the ep630 in all aspects.

So my Ep 630 finally conked off (not exactly , one end is louder than the other) , have ordered a PL-11 , lets see how they turn out .

EP-630 to PL-11 is not a big upgrade.. Infact some even consider it a downgrade :p. Hope you like them . I ofcourse find them better than EP-630 !

Back