OC & Modding Northbridge chipset cooling

Vignesh

Adept
I have a Asus k8n housing a 3000+ processor. I am trying my hand at overclocking lately. I was concerned about the northbridge chipset heating up. Is it an absolute must to have active cooling for the northbridge chipset when running high fsb's for sustained periods of time? When do you decide to go for active cooling? Any guidelines please.

Thanks,
Vignesh.

run some cpu intensive tasks and touch the heatsink.. if its too hot then its better to get some active cooling

you can get those 40mm fans at local electrical shops.. we get them here for rs 10 or so

I checked the temperatures when playing games, it is not too hot ( my fingers are not burned yet :D ) but still am concerned about it. Call me paranoid as this is my first system. If I switch over to active cooling, do you recommend an after market heatsink + fan or can I just fix a fan over the existing heatsink?

have a look at tech arena guides theres a guide that darky posted on how to give your NB active cooling but adding an extra fan to the existing HS

dark you should transfer the guide here i think

Well i am aware that the northbridge heatsink given by Asus is crap.I had replaced mine with a Northbridge Heatsink of Asus A7V8X-MX.And added 40mm fan on it.Helped a lot.

If you want to run at sustained OC'ed speeds,i suggest you get it done. ;)

Yeah even i was lookin for a solution..actually, nowadays its getting really hot here in pune... worse,my room is packed from all directions..(u c i stay in hostel)....

I have a P4P800 D.....i agree wid darky tht the heatsink provided by Asus is crappy...heats up considerably....Darky,if i'm rit,u r from Pune too...can u pls tell me whr can i find a good quality 40mm fan in pune.... i tried to search for a gfx card fan but in vain...

Also,i have a p4 3 gig ht...when i play games, the cpu temps shoot to 51-52C... and the fan RPM goes above 4500...normally it stays at 40c nowadays... is it ok?? Or i need to take a look??

CaaYoTee said:
Yeah even i was lookin for a solution..actually, nowadays its getting really hot here in pune... worse,my room is packed from all directions..(u c i stay in hostel)....

I have a P4P800 D.....i agree wid darky tht the heatsink provided by Asus is crappy...heats up considerably....Darky,if i'm rit,u r from Pune too...can u pls tell me whr can i find a good quality 40mm fan in pune.... i tried to search for a gfx card fan but in vain...

Also,i have a p4 3 gig ht...when i play games, the cpu temps shoot to 51-52C... and the fan RPM goes above 4500...normally it stays at 40c nowadays... is it ok?? Or i need to take a look??
Darky,if i'm rit,u r from Pune too...can u pls tell me whr can i find a good quality 40mm fan in pune.... i tried to search for a gfx card fan but in vain...------------> Well you can find one in Budhwar Peth [pasodya Vithoba Chowk].As you might be knowing it is the elex area in Pune.All those shops only.
try out @ Pioneer or king or some other shops.

Also,i have a p4 3 gig ht...when i play games, the cpu temps shoot to 51-52C... and the fan RPM goes above 4500...normally it stays at 40c nowadays... is it ok?? Or i need to take a look??----------> Is it Prescott or Northwood ? If Northwood then i guess you should clean things up and try to improve ventilation [preparation for hot summers ahead] :lol:

Darklord said:
Well you can find one in Budhwar Peth [pasodya Vithoba Chowk].As you might be knowing it is the elex area in Pune.All those shops only.

Hmm I had posted the same query in TA and didn't get an answer. :no:
anyway, i'm planning to go to mumbai this weekend. will get it from there.
also plan to get a 120mm fan. cpu temps reach 55 C on load. board temps around 40-41 on load.

is the mobo temp sensor close to the NB chipset?

Darklord said:
preparation for hot summers ahead
hell, yes, you need to do this, Pune is already hot. :-[
EDIT: 2 more to go :)

bottle said:
i think the mobo temp sensor is closer to the ram area.. not very sure though

I too was looking for the chip from which my ASUS P4C800ED was getting its temperature - so I used a Hair Drier with a thin nozzle in front of it and I painted the board with warm air and found that it reacted to the warm air when the air flow was over the Super I/O chip on my board. This is located at the bottom back of the board - that is between PCI slot 5 and the back plane.

nice experimentation richard ;)

i remember reading a link last time where they showed some of the common locations for the motherboard temp sensor and one of them was near the ram which was why i mentioned it earlier

ps: welcome to te :cool2:

Well you can find one in Budhwar Peth [pasodya Vithoba Chowk].As you might be knowing it is the elex area in Pune.All those shops only.
Thanx a lot...will find out.... :)

Is it Prescott or Northwood ? If Northwood then i guess you should clean things up and try to improve ventilation [preparation for hot summers ahead]

Yaar...u r scarin me..yup its a northwood..r the temps unusually high for a northwood...? Actually it goes above 50 only when 'm playin games...normally stays in the 40C-41c range... :( The fan stays in the 4000 rpm-4300rpm range nowadays...also my room has no ventilation whatsoever...

Amey, u once told me on TA tht u can arrange me an Arctic Silver here in pune...dont kno if u remember...is tht possible now...wots the price rit now?? Also will fitting a prescott hsf make a difference?
I think Sujata computers has Presscy hsfs... :)

i think the mobo temp sensor is closer to the ram area.. not very sure though
Yeah typically mobo manufaturers place the sensor near the NB and the memory...cos thts whr the main culprit is..the actual source of heat!!

Yaar...u r scarin me..yup its a northwood..r the temps unusually high for a northwood...? Actually it goes above 50 only when 'm playin games...normally stays in the 40C-41c range... The fan stays in the 4000 rpm-4300rpm range nowadays...also my room has no ventilation whatsoever...

Hmmmm
Its ok if it is in between 40-45 @ idle. :hap2:
But still you can try to improve the cooling though. ;)

Amey, u once told me on TA tht u can arrange me an Arctic Silver here in pune...dont kno if u remember...is tht possible now...wots the price rit now?? Also will fitting a prescott hsf make a difference?

I can arrange AS5 for you even now.It costs 500/-
I had fitted Prescott HSF on my northwood,it did cool down things but the fan is too noisy.
:S

Anyways its your wish what to do. ;)

I think Sujata computers has Presscy hsfs...
Go ahead and be ready to be ripped off.heheheh i too got from him but i hadno choice as my stock one had gone kaput.
Expect him to quote you around 1200-1500/- :rofl:

richard said:
I too was looking for the chip from which my ASUS P4C800ED was getting its temperature - so I used a Hair Drier with a thin nozzle in front of it and I painted the board with warm air and found that it reacted to the warm air when the air flow was over the Super I/O chip on my board. This is located at the bottom back of the board - that is between PCI slot 5 and the back plane.

:hap5: that was some experiment, dude... you can really innovate, can't you?
keep it up...

PS: last one.

Back