Laptops [Notebookcheck] Dell XPS 15 (i5-2410M & GT 540M)

UPDATE : New review from anandtech is up now ...http://www.anandtech.com/show/4274/dell-xps-15-l502x-now-with-sandy-bridge

From the flood of available on the market, 15 customs-multimedia notebooks, the XPS 15 stands out clearly. Dell is not only a visually unique and with high-quality materials unit, but also on potent inner workings. Instead of an Intel processor, the first core i-generation a cutting-edge Sandy-Bridge-CPU working in the new XPS 15 with two or four cores. As a graphics card that does either GeForce GT 525M or the - for players more interesting - GeForce GT 540M their service. Both DirectX 11-capable middle-class models from NVIDIA.

[attachment=7748:13911.attach]

full review here http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...XPS-15-Notebook-i5-2410M-GT-540M.50915.0.html

many were waiting for this review .. hope it helps ...

Attachments

• delXPS15.jpg
    delXPS15.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 106
Edit : Sorry for the wrong link ... my bad ..Links updated ...

AnandTech Review up now :

NEWER SANDY BRIDGE VERSION REVIEW http://www.anandtech.com/show/4274/dell-xps-15-l502x-now-with-sandy-bridge

Ups :

1.) CPU rocks

2.) FHD is superb

3.) 9 cell battery + SB cpu is a real deal those who want 4-5 hours of backup without power

4.) Best sound thus far on a laptop

Downs:

1.) Bland design

2.) 540M GPU is mid range performer

3.) switching HDD with new or better HDD is a pain in the a$$

are the GPU units modular or onboard in the xps sandy bridge versions..can anyone from dell throw some light...i am thinking of upgrading the gpu myself

pauldmps said:
Why do they list the GPU as GT-420M instead of GT-540M ?

EDIT: It is not the sandy-bridge model but the old one.

edited the third post ... i was reading about the design from the L501[older model] and unknowingly posted that link .. sorry...
titana said:
are the GPU units modular or onboard in the xps sandy bridge versions..can anyone from dell throw some light...i am thinking of upgrading the gpu myself

GPU is 540M Nvidia , above average GPU , but it seems , its a great battery saver...
pauldmps said:
Now I am getting confused.

Wasn't this thread about new Sandy-Bridge Dell XPS ?

links updated in the the third post ... sorry for the confusion

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

L502 , a.k.a New Dell XPS 15 as per dell site has 525 GPU 1GB as thier base GPU ,540M is available as upgrade only.. both have save SPU`s , differ only in the clock speed, read the review [anandtech] posted in the third post , its detailed in it

@naveen

i know the GPU is 540M Nvidia..what i wanted to know was if it was installed as a separate card or its onboard..in essence i want to know if there is a slot on mobo which i can use to install AMD 6XXX cards ...something like this.

anyone???

Clevo laptops are custom built (as far as I know). So that's why you can replace the GPU.

I don't think that would be possible in any laptop of other brands including the XPS.

titana said:
@naveen

i know the GPU is 540M Nvidia..what i wanted to know was if it was installed as a separate card or its onboard..in essence i want to know if there is a slot on mobo which i can use to install AMD 6XXX cards ...something like this.

anyone???
I think integrated into the board , here is pic [ taken from notebookreview forum]

photogt540m.jpg

its same design like in M1530 , i think , not sure though , using one heat pipe for GPU and CPU

tbh i didnt like the xps much it doesnt offer gaming aspect much and i wanted a pure gaming blast

i saw some reviews for the GX 660R ( Which has i think Raid and a better Cpu ) but i went for the msi GX 660 with blu ray etc so feel it is much better than xps if u want a good gaming lappy

not saying the xps is bad just not upto the mark for me and the msi has full HD so it is awesome and the budget whcih i was looking was getting exceeded if i added the features i wanted with dell so it was a no brainer for me

paraskhosla said:
tbh i didnt like the xps much it doesnt offer gaming aspect much and i wanted a pure gaming blast

i saw some reviews for the GX 660R ( Which has i think Raid and a better Cpu ) but i went for the msi GX 660 with blu ray etc so feel it is much better than xps if u want a good gaming lappy

not saying the xps is bad just not upto the mark for me and the msi has full HD so it is awesome and the budget whcih i was looking was getting exceeded if i added the features i wanted with dell so it was a no brainer for me
how much did it cost ?

oh but when u spend 65+ why not try tog et 5k more and get a msi GX 660?

i mean not saying u shld just u shld save a bit more well i saved a bit more for better lappy

paraskhosla said:
oh but when u spend 65+ why not try tog et 5k more and get a msi GX 660?

i mean not saying u shld just u shld save a bit more well i saved a bit more for better lappy
my original budget was 60K , i pushed it a little to 65K , also i greatly depended on my M1530 thinking it will sell at 20K , but went only for 15K , so that was a serious blow to my budget..

oh ok well then xps is really great

the one feature of the msi one which is best for me is gaming and the way u can control(raise the fans) when u game so its pretty awesome

though xps is really very nice also it just that it suits me more if i can say

Back