Notice To All Those Who Need Help With Builds and Guide to Rig Suggestions !!

Amien

Skilled
Please mention the budget for your rigs before clicking the "Submit New Thread" button...

"Is this config. alright?"
"Should i go ahead with this upgrade?"
"What's the better option between these two?".

Questions like these are the first posts of many, many newbies who join TE. Some stay back, other's disappear once they get what they want, but the constant in-flow of threads with people asking for suggestions on their selected config or choice of upgrades never stop.

Over the short time i've spent on TE, I have come across many, many of these threads, and while most of them recieved more than satisfactory advice thanks to the excellent community here, some of them could not, due to not being able to put their point across.

To stop beating around the bush, what im trying to say is that most newbies are clueless and misinformed. I know because i've been there. There is a very high probability that a newbie's first post will be in this section as opposed to the introduction area, and so, im going to try providing some guidelines to help you out. Guidelines that would've helped me when i joined this place, guidelines that will let you get your point across and get the best possible advice, and hopefully make you stick around to learn, grow, and help someone else like you out in the future.

"Why do i need to read this?"

a) If you're here to ask for suggestions on a new computer or upgrade, you're obviously interested in getting the max. performance for the money you are about to spend. You've taken the trouble to fill a form and register, why not make it worth your effort by getting the best advice possible?

b) If you decide to stick around in the future, this is your eqvivalent of a first impression. Don't blow it :)

So, here goes, the top 5 things to keep in mind:-

1)Do not have an Attitude/Pride.
Please, leave it out, it's not going to help in any way. Members aren't obligated to giving you suggestions, neither are they to give you lenthy explanations as to justify their recommendation. Remember you are ASKING for help, not demanding it. All doubts can be googled.
2)Provide Accurate Information.
I cannot stress this enough, there are certain things absolutely essential for someone to even start giving you suggestions. They are:-
*Budget and all the components that fall within said budget.
*Primary Use of said computer.
*Current setup.

All of this information has to be present in your opening post, members who do not have as much free time are not likely to check a suggestion thread twice.
3)Do not ask for suggestions you don't need.
If you're completely convinced that your choice is the best, don't ask for suggestions as you're going to buy what you want anyway. EVEN if you for some reason still want to ask, don't let it be known to others that you have disregarded what they've said and bought what you originally wanted anyway. Since it's your money, no one really cares what you do with it, it's just an annoyance that can be avoided.
4)Do not have a bias.
There is absolutely no reason for you to have an emotional attachment to a company that profits from the products it sells to you. By putting stuff in like, "Intel/AMD/Nvidia/ATi/etc. only!" you're effectively putting limiters on the best you can get in that price-range. A lot of members will not have the patience to make you understand why you shoudn't go for a certain platform/part over the other and will just suggest something according to your wishes, so you're the one losing out here. Avoid. Just keep in mind that any suggestion worth it's salt will follow 1 simple principle: The maximum performance at the given price point.
5)Have an open mind.
Everytime you do something that you've never done before, there will be doubts and questions. Be it spending 3,000 plus on an "SMPS" for the first time or overclocking your CPU/other components. If there is a need for the power, if the components you're buying are OC-capable, the expensive power supply suggestions and OCing tips and targets will be put out. As with everything new, instead of being closed-minded, ask questions, read and increase your knowledge. It's obvious that the final decision will be yours. Rest assured that the rest of us like our components and money just as much as you do.

Hope this helps out in someway, Feel free to add to the above.

Note to mods.:- Something i typed out to alleviate boredom and to make a little contribution. Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it surely feels like it belongs to this section, you may move it to another section at your discretion.
You may modify/re-format/delete/rename this mini-guide as you deem fit.

Thank you for reading and i hope you have a nice day. :)

Re: Guide to Rig Suggestions

STICKY NOW!!!

super well written sir amien !!!

this is a brilliant guide :)

cheers and this one deserves a STICKYYY ..

Should be treated as a MUST READ and as a RULE !!

Cheers sir !!

regards

This seriously need to be stickied.

A point also need to be highlighted that there are certain people who have migrated to the forum and advising people in the wrong manner.

They are saying "Try this" and "try that"- no technical explanation is given whatsoever. When one gives an explanation- most of them are so funny not even stand up comedians will be able to keep up with that. For these people, they have a blocked mindframe "anyone who is buying a system is only intended for gaming and nothing else- even if a person want a normal system".

Use your brain- gaming isnt the only reason people buy a system and nor everyone buys keeping gaming in mind. Some bloke comes from the shadows in a middle of a civilized community discussion and make some ridiculous point- "spend 5k more and buy this processor-this is VFM" or even one of the point about the mobo where I seriously think are EPIC "OMFG" facepalm moments. K-I-S-S: Keep it simple stupid!!!!.

You cant help people, step aside and learn but dont spread any wrong information or advice. We have the slogan "grey matters here" because it does matter here- not because we wanted to have a catchy ad jingle.

Also, we should have a sticky on how NOT to make posts without structure.

A good example would be our dear friend sorcy's post just above mine :mad::mad:

lol@stalker :p! I second him, The Sorcerer! Your lengthy posts do tend to be tiresome without any formatting. Spaces, paragraphs etc. do help in putting your quite valid points across better :)

stalker said:
Also, we should have a sticky on how NOT to make posts without structure.

A good example would be our dear friend sorcy's post just above mine :mad::mad:

^^+1...:) watz wrong with dat guy? he takes everything so serious.

he hav been doing the every same thing he hav posted above in some forums I hav seen him. Be a little open minded dude...and don't kill anyone for typing in short and for not buying big PSUs, ok? huh?... :huh:
btw nice useful thread Amien, keep up the gud work :)

The Sorcerer said:
I suggest you get a dictionary for yourself and get your english right before asking what's wrong with others.

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: Sorcy to my rescue :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

stalker said:
:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: Sorcy to my rescue :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

I guess he came to rescue for himself, the guy was pointing fingers on sorcy and not you, as far as my understanding goes.

And +1 for sticky, and nice post/point there sorcerer

j1n M@tt said:
oops! I didn't mean u, I mean Sorcy.

And I pointing my comment towards you. Unlike others like you I make an effort to re-edit the previous comments and correct my spelling mistake/ format accordingly. Like I said, you need a dictionary- just my 2 cents.

There should be a final point on thanking and/or repping everyone who contributed something useful.

Vulc4n said:
There should be a final point on thanking and/or repping everyone who contributed something useful.

^
If i did that i would effectively be asking others for rep., not good form IMO.

@udayrulz, toolius, pavasedge, SidhuPunjab, Naga, j1n M@tt, Dark Star, VaRz, thebanik, G@d of w@r, tirthankar, sato1986, Aniruddh, stalker, Gannu, WingZero.
Thank you, you are too kind :)

@The Sorcerer
Thank you.
Also, you make a very valid point.
I did feel like putting a few pointers in for the people giving the suggestions, but then i thought it sort of defeats the purpose if a relatively new member has to prove his credibility before he is taken seriously. As it is, anyone who wants to be taken seriously will try to back up their claim or suggestion, but IMO the one who will be spending the money is the one who should research and evaluate suggestions himself.
At the same time, there is concern over newbies trusting "less than ideal" recommendations blindly.
Any suggestions for this dilemma?

Nicely done. Cheers!
happy19.gif
<

I wonder if the the newly registered members would take the pain to browse through the stickies before starting a new thread though. Saves us a lot of pain!

Back