NTP 2012 Approved: Minimum Broadband Speed To Be 2 Mbps

comp@ddict

Skilled
Hurray?

The Union Cabinet today has approved the National Telecom Policy -2012 (NTP – 2012), including introduction of Unified Licence.Key highlights of NTP 2012 are:
  • Increase rural teledensity from the current level of around 39 to 70 by the year 2017 and 100 by the year 2020
  • Broadband –“’Broadband For All” at a minimum download speed of 2 Mbps
  • Domestic Manufacturing- Making India a global hub
  • Convergence of Network, Services and Devices
  • Simplification of Licensing regime- Unified Licensing, delinking of Spectrum from License, Online real time submission and processing
  • Achieve One Nation – Full Mobile Number Portability and work towards One Nation – Free Roaming
  • Resale of Services
  • Voice over Internet Protocol
  • Cloud Computing, Next Generation Network including IPV6
The policy seeks to provide a predictable and stable policy regime for a period of about ten years.A brilliant move?

NTP 2012 Approved: Minimum broadband speed to be 2 Mbps, Roaming charges cancelled

Highly unlikely... It was suppose to be increased to only 512kbps... We in India are not that progressive.... 2Mbps is designated for 2015, but rest assured just like this NTP it would get delayed for another 2-3 years & maybe we would be able to see 2Mbps in 2018... :p

Woot! NTP 2012 Approved: Minimum broadband speed to be 2 Mbps, Roaming charges cancel

The Union Cabinet today has approved the National Telecom Policy -2012 (NTP – 2012), including introduction of Unified Licence.
Key highlights of NTP 2012 are:

• Increase rural teledensity from the current level of around 39 to 70 by the year 2017 and 100 by the year 2020
  • Domestic Manufacturing- Making India a global hub
  • Convergence of Network, Services and Devices
  • Simplification of Licensing regime- Unified Licensing, delinking of Spectrum from License, Online real time submission and processing
  • Achieve One Nation – Full Mobile Number Portability and work towards One Nation – Free Roaming
  • Resale of Services
  • Voice over Internet Protocol
  • Cloud Computing, Next Generation Network including IPV6

Src:
NTP 2012 Approved: Minimum broadband speed to be 2 Mbps, Roaming charges cancelled

Another small consolidation from the UPA to ease the sentiments of the country.That too on a Bharat bandh.
GDP dropped to 5.3, Dollar upped to 55Rs and petrol prices as obviously known to all.

I did not understood anything, the OP is full of technical words :-/

So now onwards every broadband providers minimum speed have to be 2MBPS ??

Ah crap. So we will be tortured for 10 years at 2mbps when world would have moved to 200mbps.

I know we don't have infrastructure yet, but they should have given 12 months for implementation and should have upped minimum speed to 5 or even 10mbps.
For 9 years now we were struck at 256k broadband. 10 year is to long period for Telecom policy.

Nothing is going to change... The existing plans with FUP would continue. The ISP's would start selling existing plans as...

2Mbps till 10 GB broadband after which enjoy high speed internet @ 256kbps...

I know we don't have infrastructure yet, but they should have given 12 months for implementation and should have upped minimum speed to 5 or even 10mbps..

there is no shortage of submarine bandwidth in India. This is born out from data compiled by TRAI, showing a total capacity of 18.6 Tbps across all existing submarine cables reaching India. A mere 0.5 percent of this capacity was used in 2008.
Source: http://www.techenclave.com/broadband-forum/current-state-broadband-our-country-86474/

As per latest figure, it seem to have crossed 20Tbps which is frankly a LOT but these corporate honchos are just sitting on it & not utilizing it.
Here is the a updated cable map of all submarine cables landing in India, see yourself.
Greg's Cable Map

I don't see this happening anytime in next 3-5 years (am i being pessimistic ?). Just a Govt tactic to please the public for the next elections.

^... True.... Declaring a policy is one matter & FULLY implementing it is another... It would take atleast 2-3 years (min) to see the development on the ground. A few features like zero roaming charges would see the light of day much earlier but when it comes to broadband lets just say the implementation would be simply hopeless... :(

Nothing is going to change... The existing plans with FUP would continue. The ISP's would start selling existing plans as...

2Mbps till 10 GB broadband after which enjoy high speed internet @ 256kbps...

They cant do that now coz minimum speed has to be 2Mbps instead of 256kbps.

^...See the highlighted portion....

Marketing vise they are correct in selling broadband @ 2Mbps till 10 GB then they are providing high speed internet connection (not broadband) @ 256kbps...

Think people have not understood this properly.Basic thing - Minimum bandwidth that can be called broadband would be 2mbps.So, if a ISP says 2mbps for 10gb then 256kbps, technically this cannot be called as a broadband plan. The reason the plans always fell back to 256kbps was because of the previous spec that it had to be minimum of 256kbps to be called as broadband plan.Now the minimum slab has to be 2mbps.FUP is an entirely different thing and guess that evil will always exist. But I feel this is going to make lot of difference in Indian broadband scene in next few months.

FUP is ok and the reason i say this is because we all always compare with 1st world countries like US etc but there is FUP in US too. Not all service providers but most. And if no FUP then charges are high. For eg I pay like 58 $ per month for 15 Mbps DL / 5 Mbps UL Plan but i believe comcast has cheaper plans but they have FUP from what i know.
Just that FUP should be reasonable only then media consumption will increase and we will see services like netflix and hulu coming to India (or being made available here officially).
Broadband is still considered a luxury and these useless netas do not care about them because they know where the actual votes come from and that is the class of people they can easily influence by false promises of 24 hours water and such.

Think people have not understood this properly.Basic thing - Minimum bandwidth that can be called broadband would be 2mbps.So, if a ISP says 2mbps for 10gb then 256kbps, technically this cannot be called as a broadband plan. The reason the plans always fell back to 256kbps was because of the previous spec that it had to be minimum of 256kbps to be called as broadband plan.Now the minimum slab has to be 2mbps.FUP is an entirely different thing and guess that evil will always exist. But I feel this is going to make lot of difference in Indian broadband scene in next few months.

I just hope ISP's understand it this properly rather than ordinary people... :p

But its not that simple, is it...

Back