NTP 2012 Approved: Minimum Broadband Speed To Be 2 Mbps

but USA ISP's have limits at far higher 250 to 300 gb limit.
our indian guys set it at 2gb .
how can we compare the two?

True that. The limits are indeed in range of 200 GB to 400 GB which is good enough even if someone is a fanatic downloader (IMO). That is the reason people use netflix and such services like Video on Demand on hulu etc.
If we get higher speeds, the general public wont use it to download blu ray rips but media consumption like 720p youtube videos on smart TVs etc etc.

exactly,last I checked comcast has 250 gb limit and they are revising it to 300.
i honestly feel that's good limit.

once legal content becomes available at right price ( think of iTunes et al ) piracy will indeed reduce.

except flute or flye by flipkart , which other mp3 store is here giving mp3's ?
none that i know of.

^.. To add further the plan speed for such high FUP is also in excess of 10Mbps which also helps since people would tend to get the content when they actually want instead of downloading unnecessary....

Besides, the FUP is not stringent like in India. The speed is not throttled automatically. If a particular user using much more higher data than the FUP for several months only then they are contacted and are given a warning that unless they reduce their usage to a fair level, their speed is throttled.

Not that I don't have an intense hate against the broadband plans, pricing and availability in India, but I've heard that the broadband plans, pricing and FUP in Australia are pretty brutal too.

Not that I don't have an intense hate against the broadband plans, pricing and availability in India, but I've heard that the broadband plans, pricing and FUP in Australia are pretty brutal too.

It has to be... Australia is a huge continent & with such low population its simply not very viable.. It would be difficult to recover cost...

Min speed 2Mbps ?
Its only gonna stay on paper not gonna happen in practical thought.
Dream on!
I guess min speed at present is 256kbps...

^... I am also waiting for the actual Policy document to surface since there is still a confusion weather the stipulated speed increase is "by 2015" as was originally put in the draft or is it from immediate effect...

The points everyone got were just highlights & full policy document is needed to clarify it...

Concerns would be:
1) How long the ISPs would take to implement the new speeds
2) ISPs might not revert to 256KBps / 1 MBps after a certain usage period, but they would have the option to charge extra for additional MBs after the FUP is hit
3) Sites like Hulu / Netflix should come to India or else the bandwidth will be wasted or used in piracy

Basically who takes care of the fact that these policy are made/enforced by an educated person...?
Cuz for the past 9 years it seems like somebody has been standing on the main internet cable of India with both feet on it.. throttling.. err make that choking the line and lives of the users. 9 yrs is a huge slice of time and on one hand the stupid ministers are so relaxed with the IT industries.. they do not realise that a foremost country has got prolly the dial up speeds lower than the current setup/offerings?

BSNL upgraded the plans a few years back when the users went on a mass mailing operation to the concerned dept's chief. Any such plan will work with the telecom ministry ?? Like how the world in general has been striding forward and India is in a slumber.. How the infrastructure hasnt been used and they can penalize the corporates for not using it..? That ll really make their ears stand up in this time of economic worries.. eh ? :D

Concerns would be:
1) How long the ISPs would take to implement the new speeds
2) ISPs might not revert to 256KBps / 1 MBps after a certain usage period, but they would have the option to charge extra for additional MBs after the FUP is hit
3) Sites like Hulu / Netflix should come to India or else the bandwidth will be wasted or used in piracy

It might take ~2-3 years to fully implement it... When the speed of broadband was set to 256kbps it took quite some time before ISP were forced to offer it as bare min.

How ISP's try to milk customers needs to be seen, if more competition is there then we might see better plans...

As for piracy nobody knows how it will be affected but I am sure most people would not be downloading 24x7 like now. With such high speeds as bare min unless the user is a ratio whore in few private trackers I suppose most people would be downloading stuff when they need it. Piracy would be there no matter what speeds are provided..

Back