NTP 2012 Approved: Minimum Broadband Speed To Be 2 Mbps

Any idea by when one number for India will be available ?

Cabinet has approved so how much telecom companies may take for this ?

BSNL upgraded the plans a few years back when the users went on a mass mailing operation to the concerned dept's chief. Any such plan will work with the telecom ministry ?? Like how the world in general has been striding forward and India is in a slumber.. How the infrastructure hasnt been used and they can penalize the corporates for not using it..? That ll really make their ears stand up in this time of economic worries.. eh ? :D

All that won't be required. Instead there is a need to do just one thing -- > Local Loop Unbundling. This is the solution that Govt needs to implement :)

^ Precisely. Unless legal content gets available to India fast and at VFM rates piracy is a menace. TV Shows for example.

Good local content is available already for free[1][2] but we don't have needed bandwidth.

So its really lack of bandwidth is the culprit here

An update:

I had a nice chit chat with an ex BSNL staff, he said that BSNL doesn't have any problem to provide this scheme at the earliest, since they have a lot of bandwidth unutilized in all zones. They also have lot of high end stuff and high capacity OFC catering in cities. Also they have to just change ur nodes from 512 to 2MB node to start the mela:). The only reason they are still offering the crap ol policy is bcause of competition. If competition is changing then they will have to change. Also the exec assigned by BSNL chief are govt employees as opposed to BSNL staff who dont really understand the issue and dont lend ears. The trouble is getting 2mbps to villages and small towns where the infrastructure is not up to the level. Also their experiment on WiMax on old spectrum is limited. The high end spectrum which is to be given to them in lieu of ol one needs new equipment and the old equipment are just a waste.

I only understood only one thing - Converting to 2mbps UL is just easy as 123 and not as difficult as thought ....atleast in cities.

How many of you know that Airtel & other BB players would have paid much money to stop BSNL offering those frenzies at cheap rates :)

Q again - Any idea by when companies roll out one number for India thing ?

Its not just BSNL but also Airtel, current market leader has excess BW at their go. Just want to mint more money using all those Speed on Demand options.

Should expect sooner. I just don't know what problem they face, so can't comment on it.

We just got royally Fuc**d... Here is the Official NTP 2012 document..

http://www.dot.gov.in/ntp/NTP-06.06.2012-final.pdf

1.5. To revise the existing broadband download speed of 256 Kbps to 512 Kbps and subsequently to 2 Mbps by 2015 and higher speeds of at least 100 Mbps thereafter.

So I was right all along..... Its 512kbps now & 2Mbps after 2015... But don't expect it to be implemented in 2015 since in India every policy gets delayed. Heck even NTP 2012 was delayed by 2 years...

So wait for that 2Mbps speed as min broadband after 2017 or 2018...

Till then enjoy broadband @ 512kbps for another 5-6 years... :lemmings::lemmings::lemmings:

I guess even my great grand kids cant see 100 Mbps . Hail lobbyism :hail:

Edit: Why does the document feels like its written by a teenager ??

^ Best bet is to contact anonymous, get all the frustrated Janta together and rent an island off somewhere.

Damn it, i never had too much expectations from this act but now it really does looks like a stupidity act.

Which of you bozo's were thinking that with the NTP we would get super high speeds? LOL.

As Sam Pitroda said, we have 21st century challenges, while the bureaucracy works with a 19th century mindset. Oh and we have 18th century (or some really antique) politicians :p

Back