Nvidia announces GTX 980 and GTX 970 "Maxwell"graphics cards for $550 and $329

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
At Nvidia Editor's Day last week, Nvidia pulled the shroud off its fresh top-of-the-line graphics cards running on the new Maxwell architecture: the $550 GTX 980 and the $329 GTX 970. Nvidia called Maxwell "the most advanced GPU ever built," but you can say that about almost every new generation of graphics hardware. More importantly, Nvidia also called Maxwell the most power-efficient GPU ever built, and that is a big
deal: it delivers twice the performance per watt as
Kepler, the architecture used in the 600 and 700 series cards. I've been testing a reference GTX 980 Nvidia sent, and you can read about my thoughts on the card and see our benchmarks—including dual-980 SLI benchmarks

http://pcgamer.com/2014/09/19/nvidi...-for-550-and-329-here-are-their-new-features/

To a packed crowd in Los Angeles, and a global audience watching on the Game24 livestream , NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun
Huang revealed our latest GPU architecture: Maxwell. Setting a new standard for PC gaming with innovative new technologies that accelerate performance, increase image quality, and give you new ways to play, Maxwell's cutting edge technology is brought to life in two brand new GPUs:
the GeForce GTX 980 and the GeForce GTX 970.
The GeForce GTX 980 is our fastest and most efficient GPU. Faster framerates, new rendering techniques and superior image quality combine to deliver next-generation game experiences at Ultra HD resolutions and on Virtual Reality headsets.
Enter the next-generation of PC gaming, now.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/maxwell-architecture-gtx-980-970

MAXWELL!! YAY!!

Just the Zotac 970 was in stock at the time of ordering and was out of stock after 15mins! On amazon.com

970 is really impressive but i'm gonna wait another 6 months before i replace my 6950 for these reasons :
  • No interesting games (for me atleast) coming out this year, as of now i'm only looking forward to Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.
  • If the 970 at $330 is so good it'll be interesting to see what they do with the 960 next month in terms of price and performance (We really need something like the super vfm 8800gt back in the day to make the gpu segment interesting again).
  • 3XX from team Red.

Not impressed by the 980 since it's almost the same as the 780Ti, I'm guessing they'll pull out some e-peen cards like 990 or Titan X later. Really efficient chips though, it'll be much better when both camps switch to 20nm

Last edited:
unnamed_zpsbabcb517.jpg

unnamed1_zpsde2aea39.jpg

The Zotac 970 amazon listing has 2 user reviews...
Prices for the 970 hav gone upto $400!

Last edited:
I had a Zotac 9600GT ~4 years ago. Card borked out on me once and had a painless RMA experience too.

I'm waiting for the EVGA 970 SC (blower style) to come back in stock. Will be putting it under water to FINALLY complete my build.

Is the Asus Strix GTX970OC a good buy? Its available for 30.6k from Prime. I read that the fans in this series start spinning only after it reaches 65deg . In colder climates it might be fine if the card is running under 40deg. But I think it would be definitely running above 50 deg in India without the fan.

Is the Asus Strix GTX970OC a good buy? Its available for 30.6k from Prime. I read that the fans in this series start spinning only after it reaches 65deg . In colder climates it might be fine if the card is running under 40deg. But I think it would be definitely running above 50 deg in India without the fan.

I agree, normal temp for my card is generally near the 50 degree range. The system will generate a bit of heat if the graphic card fans are not running while the card is at 50 degrees. Quite a dumb move by ASUS.

Back