Graphic Cards Nvidia geforce 9600gt

Ok I am planning to get a Nvidia geforce 9600GT because I my budget is restricted to <5k priced at 4.5k

and this is to my knowledge a pretty decent one (Correct me if I am wrong)

and I am also particular about Nvidia.

well my question is :

I have a 450watts SMPS, is this sufficient enough for this card or should I have to buy a new ?

if so then I guess I would need a card(pls suggest some) which fits into my SMPS bracket !

One more question: Will graphics card be useful for other purposes besides that of gaming?

Do I need a graphics card for CUDA programming?( That is the main reason )

Which brands' 450w PSU? Generic cheap ones that costs ~Rs.500 or the ones that comes with the case just says they are 450w watts but would even struggle to deliver 250-300w of clean power.

If u want only Nvidia cards and have a budget of 5k then i would suggest the Nvidia GT240.

MSI N240GT GeForce GT 240 512 MB GDDR5 Review - Page 28/34 | techPowerUp

The 9600GT needs a PCI-E power connector IINM. The GT240 consumes much lesser power.

MSI N240GT-MD1G

But i would suggest u change the PSU to a better one like at least entry level PSU's from good brands.

I would suggest the FSP SAGAII 350w~1.5k(If u have a basic dual core etc...)/ FSP SAGAII 400w ~ 1.9k/ Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k.

If u are open to ATI cards then the

Sapphire HD4670 1Gb GDDR3 ~ 4.1k/ Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 ~ 5k

hey you can go for 5670 at 5k instead of 9600

and dont have much knowledge abt PSU's but a gigabyte 450W which comes for around 1.8k is very good - correct me if i m wrong guyz

DarkAngel said:
Which brands' 450w PSU? Generic cheap ones that costs ~Rs.500 or the ones that comes with the case just says they are 450w watts but would even struggle to deliver 250-300w of clean power.

If u want only Nvidia cards and have a budget of 5k then i would suggest the Nvidia GT240.

MSI N240GT GeForce GT 240 512 MB GDDR5 Review - Page 28/34 | techPowerUp

The 9600GT needs a PCI-E power connector IINM. The GT240 consumes much lesser power.

MSI N240GT-MD1G

But i would suggest u change the PSU to a better one like at least entry level PSU's from good brands.

I would suggest the FSP SAGAII 350w~1.5k(If u have a basic dual core etc...)/ FSP SAGAII 400w ~ 1.9k/ Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k.

If u are open to ATI cards then the

Sapphire HD4670 1Gb GDDR3 ~ 4.1k/ Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 ~ 5k

well I am particular about Nvidia for the sole reason of CUDA !

my PSU is techcom

some of the reviews I saw they say that 9600 GT is better than GT240 thats the reason I chose 9600GT

I have a sparkle 9600GT ...It does not need a PCIE power connector...These newer cards run only on PCI Express slot power ..No need of external power. However, they do need a good PSU. I had a generic 450w SMPS...my mobo started giving problems (IDE conked off) after using this card ..I then got the corsair 450W SMPS...

Yondaime said:
well I am particular about Nvidia for the sole reason of CUDA !

my PSU is techcom

some of the reviews I saw they say that 9600 GT is better than GT240 thats the reason I chose 9600GT
That Techcom 450W PSU won't be able to provide enough juice.

Go for FSP Saga II or Gigabyte PSU's if you are really on low budget.

krishnandu said:
That Techcom 450W PSU won't be able to provide enough juice.

Go for FSP Saga II or Gigabyte PSU's if you are really on low budget.
this could be a problem then ! :(
Another 1k for an SMPS bumps the budget :|

yes I am thinking of first buying a SMPS !!

and if I get a 9600GT or GT240 will I be able to play all the games that are likely in the future period of 2 years?

Greater the bandwidth higher the data transfer rate. 256bit will, under perfect conditions offer twice the data transfer rate.

Back