Graphic Cards nVidia GeForce GTX 295 review

pr0ing

Adept
check this finnish site. images are in english from nVidia which is helpful. I didn't try to translate the site

Esikatsaus: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 – Muropaketti – Plaza

also found this in google cache. original link is 404 now.
GeForce GTX295 and HD4870 X2: Who Is better? - Expreview.com

NDA on reviews are supposed to be lifted today I think. Expect a lot more reviews in a few hours.

26% faster than 4870X2 (image from nVidia) with a little less power consumption and with the added bonus of PhysX.

pr0ing said:
check this finnish site. images are in english from nVidia which is helpful. I didn't try to translate the site

Esikatsaus: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 – Muropaketti – Plaza

also found this in google cache. original link is 404 now.

GeForce GTX295 and HD4870 X2: Who Is better? - Expreview.com

NDA on reviews are supposed to be lifted today I think. Expect a lot more reviews in a few hours.

26% faster than 4870X2 (image from nVidia) with a little less power consumption and with the added bonus of PhysX.

About the numbers at IT168..

how the fck can someone compare physx numbers on ATI nd nVidia? :S

In case you notice the games tested, these are the same infamous 5 games which were getting tested by certain sites all over the net.(basically all 5 are nVidia optimized)

and for some reason those power consumption numbers look very fishy to me

The only concerning point is the price at which Nvidia wants to put it.

Power consumption does seem fishy but it can be true because of

1. Lower memory bus

2. Less clocks

3. 55nm

sTALKEr said:
In case you notice the games tested, these are the same infamous 5 games which were getting tested by certain sites all over the net.(basically all 5 are nVidia optimized)

and for some reason those power consumption numbers look very fishy to me
I read it somewhere that nVidia has restricted the gaming tests to 5 games of their choice and 1 game of the reviewer's choice.

Also the finnish site (first link) has an image where 11 games and 3DMark Vantage numbers are given.
english like here
Translated version of http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/artikkelit/naytonohjaimet/esikatsaus-nvidia-geforce-gtx-295
ultimabasher said:
The only concerning point is the price at which Nvidia wants to put it.

reccomended price is mentioned as 499$ in the above link.

waiting for more reviews to hit the net.

WOW... GTX295 seems to have it all.

EXP review seems pretty Real...

Anyways, one thing is for sure, GTX295 will SELL in enormous numbers..

gr8 work there, nvidia

^^ honestly, I am not impressed much. Two GPU cards are are for 30" monitors and at that resolution X2 and GTX295 are almost evenly matched.

It's not like 3870X2 vs 9800 GX2 where GX2 simply crushed 3870X2. In fact at 8X AA, 4870X2 steal much of GTX295's thunder. GTX 295 is a good card for sure but fails to replicate 9800GX2's success. my two cents.

Nvidia has played the smart way.

They are restricting the reviewers to test only the latest games.

They know that ATI has a lot to work on their drivers for the new games where Nvidia is releasing a new version almost every week or biweekly.

Anyhow, this is a good card for those who can shell out money to get it. Of course there will be people who will love to get this card. But there are more people who are rather eying at the segment where they see nothing but ATI winning.

The GeForce GTX 295 is coming, but with a bit less bang than NVIDIA had probably hoped for. It has a performance advantage in FarCry 2 but loses that performance advantage in Fallout 3, a game we know a lot of people are playing this holiday season. Albeit the GTX 295 does not suffer some of the graphical bugs that plague the 4870 X2 in Fallout 3 that give the true gaming advantage to the GTX 295. While it may not have won the performance crown in every game here today, it did manage to match the Radeon HD 4870 X2 for the highest playable in-game settings in each game we tested.

NVIDIA has definitely made this a worthy competitor to the Radeon HD 4870 X2. But in no way is this a “4870 X2 killer.” From our narrow look here today with what is likely to be an immature driver set, the GTX 295 is matching the 4870 X2 in gameplay. Maybe it will best it in a month, but I would not bet on it.

The GeForce GTX 295 is a nice evolution of the GTX 200 series, and offers up some new configuration possibilities, but will it really be a preferred gaming card when you can get two 216 Core GeForce GTX 260’s (with higher clocks) for a combined price that is lower than a GTX 295? And SLI can now be had on Intel chipset motherboards? And it seems that the 4870 X2 is a bit better bet in terms of AA looking forward

[H] Enthusiast - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 Preview

We've only had a short time with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 295, but it looks set to take the performance crown from the Radeon HD 4870 X2. However, that performance crown won't be held in a dominant manner like we witnessed back in August when AMD launched its dual-GPU monster.

There are some early driver issues we've seen here though and, from the conversations we've had with Nvidia, there is still some work to be done on the driver side before they're ready for the January 8th launch.

Our biggest disappointment in the testing we've done so far though is how the card performs at higher resolutions with AA enabled - there are scenarios like the one we've shown you here in Fallout 3 where the card just runs out of steam at 2,560 x 1.600 with 8xAA.

This is what Bit-Tech says. I don't count driver optimization as a bad thing. We have to hand it to Nvidia that their driver support (which is part of the product) is simply better than ATI.

But still GTX 295 won't provide a clean sweep.

As for the market standing, just checkout this Holiday GPU Buying Guide from AnandTech: AnandTech: Holiday 2008 GPU Guide: Price Cuts Galore

At all price points, ATI is winning. The only good Nvidia cards in the fray right now are GTX 260 (original with price lower than $200) and GTX 260 Core 216. Nvidia still has no answer to HD4850 and 4670.

HD 4830 has proved a better success and a better card than many were expecting and despite contrary indications, it has eaten into sale of 9800GT and 9600GT.

With recent price cuts and Catalyst 12 (better performance in FC2, Fallout 3) HD4870 (512) and HD 4870 (1GB) are back into business.

Nvidia will have its chance with GTX285 and no doubt GTX295 will sell a few units too, but unless G300 comes and replaces Nvidia line at all price points, ATI is sitting pretty.

memory clock is lower coz.................see specs of GTX260 n this ...

it's just a 2*GTX260 (GTX260GX2:bleh: ) nothing else .......all 10 shader clocks are enabled as in GTX280.....n yes only that die made of 55nm , huge BANDWIDTH (who needs it ?), any morepoints?
so it's GTX260GX2 with all shader clocks enabled n is 55nm

POWER consumtion ??? .........9800GX2 is power hungry .......so why this would be not ?(though GTX260 has low power consumption than 4870 ............again ATI'S X2 seems more effective then NVIDIA'S GX2 in terms of Power Consumption. the two board n single board design. )........55nm tech. will help inreducing Power Consumption But no to this extent ,coz GTX260 216 can't be said as low powerconsumer(though it consumes less power than it's competetors)

NVIDI always does this...........release better performing cards , then previous , with high price tag................BUT this time they have to Go ATI's way , releasing card at cheaper rate(must release it cheaper tan it's compitator so as to B00 initial sales)otherwise it would be another FLOP.

Back