NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB/6GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikrusty

Adept
Want to buy a GTX 1060 3GB/6GB. I still using my 4-year-old GTX 760 which is really showing its age now.
Just finished Rise of Tomb Raider at around 30 fps with lowest being in intensive scenes at 20...eeks!

Warranty preferred.

I played rise of Tomb raider on GTX 760 on high settings. I didn't measure the frame rate but it was smooth enough to play. I know It is an easy game but still if the frame rate was too low then I would't have sailed through it easily on Hard difficulty. Moreover I bought GTX 1060 from Vasim. It is a huge upgrade from GTX 760 especially the rendering performance is great.

I played rise of Tomb raider on GTX 760 on high settings. I didn't measure the frame rate but it was smooth enough to play. I know It is an easy game but still if the frame rate was too low then I would't have sailed through it easily on Hard difficulty. Moreover I bought GTX 1060 from Vasim. It is a huge upgrade from GTX 760 especially the rendering performance is great.

Hey, thanks for the input. Yes most of the part like 90% the game was smooth no doubt, really started to see 20 fps frame rates (with High settings) in the Lost City and some cutscenes. Anyway, it is high time for an upgrade for me.

Click on someone's username & select Start a Conversation.

Yes mining has screwed up the GPU market. Its even jacked up Nvidia prices lately. Could be a while before things get back to normal.

Thanks, I thought that was the way but wasn't sure. Terminology changes confused me basically.

And this silly mining business...uff, well once it cools down we might just see opposite effect of people wanting to sell of their GPU's. Fingers crossed :D

Hey, thanks for the input. Yes most of the part like 90% the game was smooth no doubt, really started to see 20 fps frame rates (with High settings) in the Lost City and some cutscenes. Anyway, it is high time for an upgrade for me.

Dropping down to medium settings would have kept you above 30fps consistently and provided a much more fluid experience. Even with a 470 and a mix of high/very high settings, my fps would drop down to the mid 40s in certain spots in DX12 mode.

Anyway, if you were around 30 fps for most of the game, why would your fps drop to 20 in Lost City? Lost City's hardly the most demanding area. Geothermal Valley has the biggest performance hit followed by Soviet Installation.

Last edited:
Dropping down to medium settings would have kept you above 30fps consistently and provided a much more fluid experience. Even with a 470 and a mix of high/very high settings, my fps would drop down to the mid 40s in certain spots in DX12 mode.

Anyway, if you were around 30 fps for most of the game, why would your fps drop to 20 in Lost City? Lost City's hardly the most demanding area. Geothermal Valley has the biggest performance hit followed by Soviet Installation.

Haan, sorry I meant The Frozen City (where Deathless ones are) and yes Geothermal Valley. Funnily, In The Frozen City I got lower framerates which went to 18fps even, whereas Geothermal Valley they remain 22 fps and above if I correctly recall. Even Soviet Installation wasn't as bad as The Frozen City for some reason. That's when I had to clock down some settings and played around with resolution too. Otherwise, good performance on my GTX 760 (I've the original NVIDIA reference card). I constantly give my GTX 760 shabashi for doing such a phenomenal job over the years.

I played on steam and there's a way to turn on fps overlay which is quite non-intrusive. I only look at it when I get low framerates issues.

Haan, sorry I meant The Frozen City (where Deathless ones are) and yes Geothermal Valley. Funnily, In The Frozen City I got lower framerates which went to 18fps even, whereas Geothermal Valley they remain 22 fps and above if I correctly recall. Even Soviet Installation wasn't as bad as The Frozen City for some reason. That's when I had to clock down some settings and played around with resolution too. Otherwise, good performance on my GTX 760 (I've the original NVIDIA reference card). I constantly give my GTX 760 shabashi for doing such a phenomenal job over the years.

What you call the Frozen City is Lost City (where the Deathless ones are encountered). Strange you were getting lower fps there. Its not as intensive as the other two areas. 18 fps? Damn! I was annoyed when I went down to the mid 40s. :p Yeah it's done well but you could do with an upgrade. Unfortunately, its probably the worst time to buy a gpu in recent memory.

Anyway, someone's selling a 1060 3gb for 11k here. No warranty though. There's also a guy selling a 970 with over 3 years warranty left for 16k over on Erodov. It would've been considered expensive a few weeks back but in the current gpu situation, it might be worth a look if the price is negotiable and you really don't want to wait around to see if prices go back to normal anytime soon. I would but then again, I am not the one in need of an upgrade.

Last edited:
someone's selling a 1060 3gb for 11k here
Oh really! Who? I hope he sees this post coz I couldn't find on FS:Video Card category.

And nope I did mean Frozen City where I was getting major fps drop. (This is not the first time Deathless ones are encountered. It is their City towards the end of the game). See screenshot.

Also, Geforce Experience recommended settings says I should clock, Ambient Occulsion Off, DOF - Off, Dynamic Foliage - Low, Level of Detail - Low, Tesellation - Off and Texture quality - Med. I kept all these ON and Settings to Med/High. The Inbuilt Benchmark indicated that 22fps to 44 fps performance, so I kept these, but only towards the end did I have some issues.

And seriously, I'm not playing games that are really stretching the GPU out much except for this game in some areas and that too I've finished it. So I don't mind waiting and watching. But would like to connect with 1060 3GB for 11k guy. If you know, please pass the connect. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 340853604.jpg
    340853604.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 190
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back