Graphic Cards Nvidia GTX 1060 landing july 7

There is no 3GB 1060, that will probably be the 1050.

I have a feeling 480 will be popular only in the US, if at all. NVidia has managed to get more from a die shrink than AMD this time. I don't know if it is Global Foundries' fault or AMD's, but they should have a long look at their fab process before finalizing Vega.

You're probably correct.

Any idea by when we can expect these cards in India?

There is no 3GB 1060, that will probably be the 1050.

I have a feeling 480 will be popular only in the US, if at all. NVidia has managed to get more from a die shrink than AMD this time. I don't know if it is Global Foundries' fault or AMD's, but they should have a long look at their fab process before finalizing Vega.

What? Here is the the 3GB zotac GTX 1060.
ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-1060-MINI-3GB.jpg

& Ya you're right about 480 but i don't think its amd fault though.

Well that vulcan performance boost in Doom for AMD cards is something !
not surprised at all. i've noticed that gcn has aged quite well over time. driver improvements alone have taken the venerable 7970 from a 760 rival to still being relevant against the 960 2 generations later.
with just fabrication tweaks they got a healthy boost out of hawaii. (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1439?vs=1559)
now with dx12 and vulcan taking centre-stage i only expect the trend to continue.

not surprised at all. i've noticed that gcn has aged quite well over time. driver improvements alone have taken the venerable 7970 from a 760 rival to still being relevant against the 960 2 generations later.
with just fabrication tweaks they got a healthy boost out of hawaii. (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1439?vs=1559)
now with dx12 and vulcan taking centre-stage i only expect the trend to continue.
Well thats why I favor AMD. my 280x is still going strong with all the new games. No gimping like Kepler in new games. But AMD RX 480 price is no where even competitive when compared to 1060

So the verdict is the card is a better buy when compared to the 480 for current gen directX 11 games. Upcoming DirectX 12 games may be a different story altogether as the AMD has the advantage of being more future proof with its better Async compute performance.

Funnily enough the benchmark showed Async compute where the 1060 was faster than the 480. The price advantage of 480 does not really hold good here, so it's only the 2GB ram advantage that I can see.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/rev...ac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-edition-review-862713

There has never been a better time to be a gamer, especially one whose pockets aren't bottomless. The GeForce GTX 1060 is priced to kill, and it's a worthy step up from the Radeon RX 480. Now while Nvidia announced a price of Rs. 22,999 which would effectively kill its competitor, the reality of the situation is that the Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp Edition is priced at Rs. 24,999 and MSI's GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X is priced at an even Rs. 26,000. That still leaves some wiggle room for AMD, at least where the 4GB version of the Radeon RX 480 is concerned, and it's up to the market now to decide whether various manufacturers will compete by offering discounts. Those who wanted to spend more for the 8GB Radeon would be better off with the 6GB GTX 1060 though.

Funnily enough the benchmark showed Async compute where the 1060 was faster than the 480. The price advantage of 480 does not really hold good here, so it's only the 2GB ram advantage that I can see.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/rev...ac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-edition-review-862713

If you are looking at the Time Spy benchmark from futuremark as the Async compute decider, it has already been criticized as not being a proper async performance indicator as per controversial posts going around.

The 480 has higher performance in proper DirectX 12 games where Async compute is used better. Examples would be Hitman, Ashes of Singularity and the now Vulkan patched Doom.

That being said, I am not unhappy with the 1060 performance. The card is great for the price and brings much needed competition/performance at that price point.

Just disappointed on an overall level of the Nvidia new card gen that is not really future proof in terms of DirectX 12 performance. Meh, I am already regretting my MSI 1070 buy. At least glad that rethought my 1080 buy and switched to the 1070. Sorry for the off topic rant.

Indeed that it is what I was seeing. Yes I saw the Vulkan jump Doom got, quite a bit. I am not sure about the street prices yet, but if it undercuts the 480 it would be a compelling upgrade for people with 7xx or lower 9xx cards.

People with slower CPUs are getting 20-25fps bumps in Vulkan Doom on GTX 970/980 as well.
It helps with the CPU overhead on all hardware, not just ATI.
Nvidia GPUs (Esp Maxwell and earlier) are capable to take advantage of Async Compute but are not as efficient as AMD. We are yet to conclude how Pascal will do with Compute

Back