nVidia introduces "Project Shield" portable Android game console.

pr0ing

Adept
nVidia announced "Project Shield" at CES 2013 which is a portable Android based gaming console. It has a quad core Tegra 4 processor with a 5" 720p multi-touch screen, a massive controller for a portable device and a 38Wh battery.

Slots included are HDMI (micro HDMI?), microSD, microUSB and a 3.5mm audio jack. The device is capable of connecting to a 4K display device via HDMI and can decode a 4K video courtesy of the Tegra 4. Wireless connectivity for TVs is also provided via a receiver, with nVidia promising availability of wireless dongles (not sure if this is wifi or something proprietary).

In addition to all this, "Project Shield" is also able to pair with a PC having a GeForce GTX card in it. The PC handles the rendering part while the "Shield" acts as a controller and video upscaler/streamer to the TV. This merges perfectly with the recently introduced "Steam Big Picture" and was also demoed during the CES.

Ouya console which is another android based game console will be a "receive target" for shield according to nVidia. I am guessing this will be similar to the PC based pairing mentioned above.

Probable launch is around Q2 2013.

Sources.
AnandTech - NVIDIA CES 2013 Press Event: Live Blog
AnandTech - NVIDIA Rolls Their Own Handheld Console: Project Shield, Powered By Tegra 4
Nvidia Wows CES with Project Shield Android and PC Gaming Console

I suppose it will be ..

Don't think so. That would mean all the internals and battery are held behind the screen and not the joystick. With as big a joystick as what it is, I think all the internals are there, so how will the screen be powered?

Don't think so. That would mean all the internals and battery are held behind the screen and not the joystick. With as big a joystick as what it is, I think all the internals are there, so how will the screen be powered?
Thats correct .. all the hardware and battery + speakers are placed inside the controller the screen is just an extension. I am hoping that its modular so that screen can be removed.

This is a perfect portable gaming device i was looking for since i sold my psp long time ago.

But i think it is still far away from hitting indian shores.

the screen isn't removable,but can be tilted backwards to an almost flat position,and this comes from a writer at ubergizmo.(he also said the screen is of a good quality and has good viewing angles,so tilting the screen does no pose any problems to the user's viewing experience.)

$400 mean 56 x 400 = 22400/- and you know that in our country it will be price near at 30k. Is it justified for everyone to buy a portable gaming gadget in that price? I know that the product is very good and useful but it may be expensive for some people.

Yeah it's expensive just for a gaming device but it also offers an android tablet with Tegra 4 Soc so it is more than just a gaming device. The closest competitor which is psp vita is also priced near $400 in india :)

The quality of games will be a huge factor. If they can somehow develop/make developers develop at least PS3 quality games, I am sold.

For that they have a Tegrazone especially , you can stream your pc games on it that's what so special about it makes your pc almost to an wiiu with high end power..

Back