Nvidia officially announces Pascal based GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 gpu's

psyph3r

Skilled
It's still a paper launch but this is what happens when you have strong competition, those numbers and pricing look amazing, Titan X performance claimed for under $400 !
Now to wait for Polaris specs and pricing and some DX12 benchmarks, good time for gpu upgrades after ages.

Q6dNPFd.jpg

LPb1lGP.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-pascal-gtx-1080-1070,31754.html

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-pascal-specs-pricing-revealed/

Last edited:
Disappointing specs and prices to be honest. Barring the clock speeds which are awesome, rest of the specs don't cut the mustard.

If you have a 970/290 or higher, I'd say hang in there.

Well Nvidia says a single GTX 1080 is faster than 2 GTX 980 in SLI. And it supports a single power connector with load temp @ less than 60 degrees. If this one beat the Titan X i am in to get one for sure.

Since its coming on 27th May, we will have a better perspective about the performance. I don't think Polaris stands a chance except for price war in the lower or mid segment.

Disappointing specs and prices to be honest. Barring the clock speeds which are awesome, rest of the specs don't cut the mustard.

If you have a 970/290 or higher, I'd say hang in there.

Lol how can you jump to any conclusion like that, let's wait for some benchmarks. What were you expecting anyways ? This is atleast better than the 9xx series where lower tiered cards were being sold at a higher price point.
Besides what they're claiming has always been the case with every generation of gpu hasn't it, the enthusiast card of one gen becomes the mainstream of the next with lower pricing and higher efficiency.

I am not an Nvidia fanboy but they always deliver on the terms promised or stated. I am sure there will be a TITAN X and 980Ti replacement as well. Which they will launch if AMD offers a tough fight in the performance part.

always deliver on the terms promised or stated

Like the 3.5 GB fiasco and DX12 full compatibility ? :p
AMD cards age well and have been convincingly and consistently doing better on DX 12 benchmarks if you haven't looked em up recently.[DOUBLEPOST=1462608671][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am sure there will be a TITAN X and 980Ti replacement as well.

Ofc there'll be one, they'll wait for AMD to launch/announce Vega first.

AMD cards age well and have been convincingly and consistently doing better on DX 12 benchmarks if you haven't looked em up recently.[DOUBLEPOST=1462608671][/DOUBLEPOST]

Ofc there'll be one, they'll wait for AMD to launch/announce Vega first.

Yeah, that was big blunder and hit them big with AMD launching 8 Gb cards . Also there were ads saying card with actual 4 GB. LOL. But this generation holds a lot for them. I am sure it holds a lot for us.

Lol how can you jump to any conclusion like that, let's wait for some benchmarks. What were you expecting anyways ? This is atleast better than the 9xx series where lower tiered cards were being sold at a higher price point.
Besides what they're claiming has always been the case with every generation of gpu hasn't it, the enthusiast card of one gen becomes the mainstream of the next with lower pricing and higher efficiency.

This also is the lower tier card. The big pascal chip has hbm2. The clock to clock performance of this card is significantly lower than the gm200 which is a shame.

I still don't believe in the "3.5 GB fiasco" if its not consistently reproducible on all 970's using the same real word test conditions. Yes, the crippled memory controller is definitely there, but is this issue really the practical impact of that? People who faced the slow downs were using games like Shadows of Mordor. So the same game should have the same problem on all the 970's when same settings and test environment were used. But it was not so. Only a few people faced slow downs. So I am disinclined to believe in the 3.5 GB fiasco and that the slow downs were caused by the memory controller configuration of 970. There must be some other issue that caused it for a select number of cards.

Also, the the card has all 4GB of memory as stated on the box and its all connected and usable and its just as fast as the rest of the banks. Only thing missing is that it one bank cannot be accessed in parallel to the rest of the banks and just because of that, it cannot be deemed a a 3.5 GB card. Quoting the memory bus/bandwidth figure wrong can be questioned though. But then such gaps between development, product and marketing are pretty common. Seen that happen quite a bit myself.

This also is the lower tier card. The big pascal chip has hbm2. The clock to clock performance of this card is significantly lower than the gm200 which is a shame.
Really? At first I thought you were comparing the current announced lineup with the older ones and called it no upgrade - donno on what logic coz the benchmarks arent out and the GC manufacturers have come up with great numbers.

Hold your horses buddy. You will get lot of chances to show the favoritism. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1462633420][/DOUBLEPOST]
will this run minecraft @60 fps?
Highly unlikely since - "The clock to clock performance of this card is significantly lower than the gm200 which is a shame."

These cards look very good on paper as earlier claimed. Just wait for proper reviews from independent reviewers.
I especially love the "better performance at lower wattage" more than the pricing. Lower stress on the powersupply <3.

will this run minecraft @60 fps?
Asking the right question. :D lol.
Too bad I will not exceed the resolution numbers of 1080p/1440p (if i ever stream then 2x displays else will stick to one). Will they launch lower-mid tier cards to replace the GTX950/GTX960? If yes whatever they do, the cards need to and MUST come with 4GB (and not 3.5GB) of memory else nvidia will be shooting their own foot. Though i don't think we'll get them for sub-20k here in India. :(

So how long until these show up locally? My 760 is showing it's age. I am really happy that they use a single 8 ping connector and the recommended PSU is 500W.

this should be good card for those looking forward for VR Ready system. My R9 290x is showing its age while using it in VR, perhaps I would need to add an additional card to get optimal performance in VR applications.

Will they launch lower-mid tier cards to replace the GTX950/GTX960? If yes whatever they do, the cards need to and MUST come with 4GB (and not 3.5GB) of memory else nvidia will be shooting their own foot.
950/960 are low level cards. As history suggests low level cards come up later during the course of time from the nvidia staple. They got 1080 (highend) 1070 (middle lvl) as their first release at launch like every time. If what I remember is correct, there would be a 1080 x that will be the flagship before releasing the low lvl cards subsequently.

I dont think any cards except 970 had the so called 3.5GB issue.

@Lord Nemesis The issue wasn't whether it had 4GB vram or not, yes it had full 4 GB vram but the problem was the performance hit encountered when accessing the remaining .5 GB, I'm not going to post a wall of text like you always do because I don't have the time and patience especially on a Sunday to post about something that has been well documented and explained by Nvidia themselves.
As for all users not encountering issues on Shadow of Mordor maybe some of those users who didn't experience performance issues didn't have the high resolution texture pack installed.
This will only get more apparent as time passes by and games get more demanding this year, people will be forced to reduce texture quality and resolutions even though the card is more than capable of handling it just so that they don't cripple performance by utilising the .5 GB in question.

gtx970memory.jpg

I0FoKMw.gif

The clock to clock performance of this card is significantly lower than the gm200 which is a shame.

You must either be a psychic or an Nvidia employee, did you see the benchmarks somewhere ? If so please do share with us
Speaking of Nvidia employees I met a friend last night who works with them here in Pune, he said they've addressed all issues with async compute.

P.S A couple of friends who picked up the 980Ti for 50k+ a few months back are on suicide watch :p

You must either be a psychic or an Nvidia employee, did you see the benchmarks somewhere ? If so please do share with us
Speaking of Nvidia employees I met a friend last night who works with them here in Pune, he said they've addressed all issues with async compute.
:p

If you know where to look, the 3d mark scores of the 1080 have already been leaked and the performance at 1800 odd mhz is roughly the same as a higher clocked 980 ti which is kind of disappointing. I personally have a 980 ti and a 970 in two machines. I will probably hold off upgrading until gp100 arrives on the scene.

Back