Nvidia RTX 3XXX Series announced

I have my doubts about 3070 beating 2080ti. Could be similar which itself will be amazing for its price. From Toms Hardware:

The RTX 3070 should still be plenty fast for 1440p gaming, and more than fast enough for 1080p — just like the RTX 2080 Ti. Nvidia says it will perform "better than the 2080 Ti," though we take that marketing-speak with a scoop of salt. Out of all the benchmarks we ran, there was only one (Doom Eternal) where the 3080 actually doubled the 2080's performance.

Anyway, saving $200 and buying a 3070 could make a lot of sense. It's interesting to note that the RTX 3070 is a substantial step down from the RTX 3080, however. The 3080 has 48% more GPU, RT, and Tensor cores, it has 20% more memory, and the memory is clocked 36% higher. That's a big enough gap that we could see an RTX 3070 Ti down the road, but at what price? Alternatively, wait and see what AMD's Navi 2x / RX 6000 GPUs can do, which we'll hear about more on October 28.

For 71k, its a good card when compared with a 2080Ti. It is almost twice as fast as a RTX 2080 in some games and other it is as low as 15 to 20 percent. But except for Control (really badly made game), all other games, it stick with 60+ frames in 4K resolution.

View attachment 90585
Now in a week we'll know if RTX 3070 is worth it or not. It is an uphill task to beat or come near a 2080Ti. Recommendation for this GPU (RTX 3080) is of a 700 Watts power supply,yikees. Luckily i bought one almost 12 years ago.

But ~54K in USD to 71K in India :( Understand that's the problem for all high end stuff

54k is without tax and shipping. 71k includes both and also customs duty.

I got that if I am importing the final taxed product from another country. Here Nvidia being the manufacturer of FE cards they have the option to match or beat international pricing for India. For example Oneplus series phones.

I got that if I am importing the final taxed product from another country. Here Nvidia being the manufacturer of FE cards they have the option to match or beat international pricing for India. For example Oneplus series phones.
OnePlus is manufactured in India. GPUs are not. Also the GPU volumes sold here are miniscule compared to phones.

Well, still a 3080 holds its ground and offers better performance than a 2080Ti at 71k. If you were in the market, what would you buy.
A used 2080Ti or a 3080. With DLSS 2.0, the performance is good.
Not to forget that if AMD RX 6XXX lineup is competitive enough, Nvidia will probably lower prices.

Screenshot_20200916-234841~2.png

24Hrs is a wishful thinking. I tried calling computer empire at NehruPlace and they don't any idea when cards will be available :(...
They won't. My sources tell me the big distris/retailers have pre/booked (almost) everything. You can ask CE to confirm it.
Also expect the first sellers to jack up their price to make the max profit while they can. I think it's obvious but they will cite anything from limited supply to lockdown issues.
Meanwhile I think I'm gonna use my old GTX 650 and wait for prices to settle down. I might never be able to afford the 3070 anyway so I'll wait for something like the 3060 or a used 2070/208Ti. Don't need more than 1080p (for now) and my max would be 1440p (anyway) so not a deal breaker for me.

Meanwhile I think I'm gonna use my old GTX 650 and wait for prices to settle down. I might never be able to afford the 3070 anyway so I'll wait for something like the 3060 or a used 2070/208Ti. Don't need more than 1080p (for now) and my max would be 1440p (anyway) so not a deal breaker for me.
Same here... Gonna use my 1070 a bit more till we get to 3070ti or some decent card from amd

Now that the dust has settled on RTX 3080, next is the powerhouse - RTX 3090. I am hoping that all that horse power translates to something good in benchmarks other wise its like a Ferrari that is limited to not run more than 100 KMPH.
I would say that the performance was expected, RTX 20xx was the first gen implementation of RTX so second gen would be always better. Similar to what we saw with ZEN/ZEN2 and now ZEN3.

RDNA2/PS5/XBOX X Series - Performance is yet to be seen in the real world. RTX 3070 - The mid-ranger is also expected to be coming in mid October. Looking at all this, i think i might wait for another 2 or 3 months before jumping to what i want to go with. But good job NVIDIA.

Well, still a 3080 holds its ground and offers better performance than a 2080Ti at 71k. If you were in the market, what would you buy.
A used 2080Ti or a 3080. With DLSS 2.0, the performance is good.

Not questioning that at all or referring to first time buyers, I was talking about people who panic sold their 2080Tis based on that hyped up presentation. They can just keep using their gpu's for another generation.
It's a good upgrade for people going from high end Pascal as Mr.Leather Jacket himself said but not that 2x upgrade across the board except in certain applications (still impressive at $699 mind you but that's not saying much because the 2xxx series was overpriced to begin with).
From what we've seen so far, the 3070 will be barely 5% faster than the 2080Ti.

As for good performance with DLSS 2.0, does it really matter when it actually makes little to no visual difference and makes a blurry mess at most times. Not that I've experienced it in motion but it looks that way in most screenshots I've seen.

DLSS is a compromise to be able to use RTX with little sacrifice to performance. I only look at normal benchmarks or RTX ones without DLSS as that show the true power of a GPU. Buying a high end card then using DLSS is funny.

DLSS is a compromise to be able to use RTX with little sacrifice to performance. I only look at normal benchmarks or RTX ones without DLSS as that show the true power of a GPU. Buying a high end card then using DLSS is funny.
DLSS 2.0 actually looks better than native resolution + TAA in quite a few titles now. The ground truth used for training for DLSS is 16k resolution it preserves high frequency data better than naive TAA.

Not questioning that at all or referring to first time buyers, I was talking about people who panic sold their 2080Tis based on that hyped up presentation. They can just keep using their gpu's for another generation.
It's a good upgrade for people going from high end Pascal as Mr.Leather Jacket himself said but not that 2x upgrade across the board except in certain applications (still impressive at $699 mind you but that's not saying much because the 2xxx series was overpriced to begin with).
From what we've seen so far, the 3070 will be barely 5% faster than the 2080Ti.

As for good performance with DLSS 2.0, does it really matter when it actually makes little to no visual difference and makes a blurry mess at most times. Not that I've experienced it in motion but it looks that way in most screenshots I've seen.
Your words reminds me how Apple sells iphone - Their statement is this is the best iphone ever. If the requirement is not 4K gaming, then 2080Ti owners can stick with their GPU for the time being but yeah the resale value in coming months might not be that much. We are still in the dark on what the remaining GPU's will offer yet.

I bought the 2080ti late last year (after the prices had come down a bit). I got lucky on the silicon lottery with a chip that meets Strix OC performance despite using a stock PCB and having a much lower power target. I was looking at the 3080 as a potential upgrade option. Decided to pass and sharing the reasons why:
- Power consumption is significantly higher than my current card (even OC) and would need a PSU upgrade
- I game on a 1440p high refresh rate monitor. Performance uplift looking like ~20%, possibly less looking at the specific titles I play
- Assuming a 50k resale on the 2080ti, extra spend for me would be 30k+ (incl new PSU) for a 20% improvement. Plus the hassle of installing a new PSU

Overall, didnt seem like worth the money or effort. This would change if I ever decide to move to 4k. In that case, the gap widens. If the display is an Oled TV instead of a monitor, the HDMI 2.1 spec of the 30 series would also help.

Back