Oculus Rift DIY aka Google Cardboard

No time to assemble...

Attachments

• 1428588713833.jpg
    1428588713833.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 226
Received the cardboard yesterday, had ordered on 25th feb. Quality is ok, the magnetic switch is not working on opo.

Received another one from Boxight yesterday. 2 for 288/-, this time the packaging looks good. Will open it in a day or two.

So which is a decent one for under Rs.1000 for a first timer who wants to check what the Google vr experience is like?

I'd prefer something that is plastic or better than cardboard provided the lenses/experience is no worse than that of the basic Google cardboard. So far googling has led me to the Colorcross & the Ritech. However, while there are quite a few reviews around which say that they are decent enough, a few reviews seem to say that the vr effect is seriously compromised (blurry, small fov, no immersion etc.) & that even the basic cardboard ones are better.

Hoping someone could shed some light &/or give some recommendations. Thanks.

PS: I have a Redmi 1s & Mi4 at my disposal.

PS#2: What's a good noob guide to setting up software to stream pc content onto the phone for viewing with the vr headsets?

I almost forgot to post a review on that plastic one.
anyone planning for that for smaller phones don't go for it! for starter it does not have the control feature (i was aware before purchase but still decided to give a try) the FOV is smaller than smaller google cardboard. so we see lots of black border. secondly it cannot be adjusted well. mine kept falling.

and at last the google cardboard experience didn't matched up to a real rift experience. can't blame the google cardboard but the phone simply doesn't have the capability for fast motion capture. Oculus display does not blur (although the resolution seem a lot less) and gaming on it is without any motion sickness.
IMG_20150809_211504657.jpg IMG_20150809_211539753.jpg IMG_20150809_211609759.jpg

Last edited:
@max_demon : You have occulus rift..:eek:
I am waiting for it to hit retail market in 2016. and yes the phone vr is not that great yet, but that is going to improve in the future and will be for mass market.
by the way which phone did you use for VR?

So which is a decent one for under Rs.1000 for a first timer who wants to check what the Google vr experience is like?

I'd prefer something that is plastic or better than cardboard provided the lenses/experience is no worse than that of the basic Google cardboard. So far googling has led me to the Colorcross & the Ritech. However, while there are quite a few reviews around which say that they are decent enough, a few reviews seem to say that the vr effect is seriously compromised (blurry, small fov, no immersion etc.) & that even the basic cardboard ones are better.

Hoping someone could shed some light &/or give some recommendations. Thanks.

PS: I have a Redmi 1s & Mi4 at my disposal.

PS#2: What's a good noob guide to setting up software to stream pc content onto the phone for viewing with the vr headsets?
@kidrow : you can order lenses online (good quality lenses) and make one for yourself from cardboard. If you can go a step ahead and do laser cutting in acrylic sheet that would be much better build.
Lens supplier : Tezco vision in Mumbai
Cardboard cutout dimensions : you can get on google cardboard site

@max_demon : You have occulus rift..:eek:
I am waiting for it to hit retail market in 2016. and yes the phone vr is not that great yet, but that is going to improve in the future and will be for mass market.
by the way which phone did you use for VR?

moto x 2014..
even with 5.2" screen it was showing black borders :(

regarding lenses you can even get it from local optician just tell him the specifications and most probably he must be having that.

[USER=23452]@kidrow
: you can order lenses online (good quality lenses) and make one for yourself from cardboard. If you can go a step ahead and do laser cutting in acrylic sheet that would be much better build.
Lens supplier : Tezco vision in Mumbai
Cardboard cutout dimensions : you can get on google cardboard site[/USER]

Thanks. For now, I've decided to get the Colorcross or similar from Aliexpress. & maybe later, I'll go for a simpler cardboard &/or lens mod experiment.

Redditor Faduci seems to know a bit about the cheap Chinese headsets & has done a few mods on 'em either by using different lenses or stacking. I gather from his posts that -
The Chinese ones use lenses with a focal length in the region of 60 to 90mm as compared to the Google specification of 40 to 45mm. This results in a good picture/experience vis-a-vis movies but in a loss of immersion for vr apps. If one needs better immersion & comfort in one package for mobile vr, then there is no option currently that provides this for less than Rs. 5000. Beyond that price there are options such as svr, freefly, homido etc. which seek to improve on the fov & consequently immersion.

You mentioned buying lenses online. Any sites that provide an avenue for custom orders &/or wide range but are also feasible/reasonable for us in India? Or is it easier to get local opticians to make one to order as Max suggests?

Thanks for your time.

Back