Oculus Rift DIY aka Google Cardboard

Everyone is receiving them except me :( All I wanted were the lenses
if you just wanted lens. then you can get good quality glass lenses from this supplier in mumbai. I am attaching there catalogue for reference for contact details and the image which contains only one lens is the one which is suitable for cardboard. The price is Rs 99 per lens + shipping extra.
image001.jpg

Attachments

• NEW CATALOGUE 3.JPG
    NEW CATALOGUE 3.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 246
  • NEW Catalogue_2.jpg
    NEW Catalogue_2.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 282
Update: Don't have much expectations. The quality of the cardboard is average. One of the plastic lenses in my kit had quite noticeable scratches. The template cut out also doesn't seem to be perfect.

Oh.. And forgot to mention. The sticker that is supposed to hold glue the ends of the box has been stuck on the wrong side.. :p

Last edited:
Update: Don't have much expectations. The quality of the cardboard is average. One of the plastic lenses in my kit had quite noticeable scratches. The template cut out also doesn't seem to be perfect.

Oh.. And forgot to mention. The sticker that is supposed to hold glue the ends of the box has been stuck on the wrong side.. :p
They are fooling customers and making chu**. Two of my friends received same shit and the lenses are real bad. They also got into this invite-affiliate thing and made others also buy this. Thats the real reason why they want to invite as soon as you place the order, not after receiving the product. I am pretty sure no one would invite their friends into buying this shit after experiencing it in real.

Now before anyone says its only 300INR, thats not how the site says. The site clearly mentions the price is 999. No, it is nowhere near the quality of 999INR. The lenses are of plastic and you can see visible scratches everywhere.

Please avoid Boxight.

(I am also looking to buy one, can anyone recommend a good quality one?)

They are fooling customers and making chu**. Two of my friends received same shit and the lenses are real bad. They also got into this invite-affiliate thing and made others also buy this. Thats the real reason why they want to invite as soon as you place the order, not after receiving the product. I am pretty sure no one would invite their friends into buying this shit after experiencing it in real.

Now before anyone says its only 300INR, thats not how the site says. The site clearly mentions the price is 999. No, it is nowhere near the quality of 999INR. The lenses are of plastic and you can see visible scratches everywhere.

Please avoid Boxight.

(I am also looking to buy one, can anyone recommend a good quality one?)
Very true. It's not worth even Rs.300. Forget Rs.999. Fortunately, my 4 year old had a good time painting it, and assembling and disassembling it for a couple of hours before he tore it into pieces. :p
@avi You have to get one from Amazon US. Quite a few really good products there. Don't remember the names off the top of my head, but you do get good quality. It comes at a price though.

Yes, quality is pretty bad and unfortunately they shipped it before I could ask for refund after seeing what they have sent to others. Two of my friends also bought them without listening to my pleas to wait till I get mine :p So much for supporting startups -_-

I received mine before 4-5 days. The cardboard is flimsy but the velcro is on the correct side, lens have scratches, but nothing to ruin the experience. I moded my cardboard because the magnetic sensor of S3 is at bottom. I would rate them 3.5 out of 5

Update.. Not sure why, but I got this email from boxight.
Heartfelt Apologies for the delay in shipping your kit

Recently, we have rejected packaging material that proved to be sub-par to our strict standards. This has caused some delay in shipping out your orders. Having said that, we accept that we were completely at fault and we are genuinely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, and we deserve to be at the receiving end of the criticism. We would like you to know that we are working relentlessly in order to sort this out for our beloved customers. We have come up with a newer kit to ensure you get the best kit and stopped shipping our old ones due to the feedback shared from our old customers.

We have initiated a new QA policy - testing the new kits before we ship them to you. We record this process in a video to ensure that the quality is best. We have invited feedback from the customers who have received these new, tested kits. We assure you that everyone will get their new kits by 10th April, latest. Below are the specific areas which we have improvised on the new kit for your information.

Packaging: The packaging is unstable during transit. So we have improvised on the burst resistance of the cardboard. Previously, our burst resistance of the cardboard was 3 kilos per square inch and now we have improvised to 9 kilos per square inch.

Lens: The previous model had 2 separate lenses sandwiched between 3 cardboard layers, this was not resistant to vibration, so during transit the lens would slip off. Our current kit has a single unit of the lens (i.e. both the lens fabricated as a single unit). So the only way the lens would fall off is when someone applies enough pressure to un-sandwich the cardboard and then deglutinate the cardboard.

Difficulty in assembly: We have made the new kit as a single unit so you don't have the confusion of assembling unlike the previous 3 piece kit. Just move the lens holder into the box and roll over the box. Yes, it is that simple now.

Cardboard quality: We ensured the best cardboard quality in resistance for our kit. The current kit has a burst resistance of up to 10 kilos per square inch.

Phone slipping out: We know you're going to slide in your expensive device in our cardboard kit; hence, we've designed the kit to prevent your phone from falling. No matter if your phone is 4.7 inches or 5.5 inches, your phone stays in the kit when you dive into the virtual world.

Lens quality: Our new kit is equipped with a 65mm focal length lens compared to the old 45mm focal length, This will ensure the image projected be 50% bigger and would be more clear with no strain to your eyes.

Well, the first look of our kit would be released on 30th of March & we would appreciate your feedback on the same.

For your information, we will ship your order latest by 7th of April & delivered to you latest by 10th April.

I think it just means, moving forward they are going to use better materials and all new orders and some old orders would use these materials. Everyone who already got theirs should acknowledge their "commitment to quality" and buy the new one again I suppose. :p

received another Boxight Ek Box today.
It's a single piece colorful and better cardboard quality with nice lenses (mine previous were also decent) and an elastic headband.

Back