Oculus Rift DIY aka Google Cardboard

devesh38

Adept
People who attended Google I/O conference were given "Google Cardboard" Kits.
After going through the google's site on cardboard I realised this can be done easily at home.

I made a working model of google cardboard with one of my friend.
Here are the pics :-
Actual Google Cardboard model:-
661.jpg

We made a quick prototype using the cutouts provided by google on their cardboard website.

And here's how it looks :-
First we made the cutouts given on google's site
Ve9YydZ.jpg

We didn't have any lenses, so had to wait till the lenses are bought.
This is how it looked when folded.

K34dOuu.jpg

EEG8LrZ.jpg

Went to local stationary shop to purchase lenses but couldnt find the required lenses (40mm focal length and 25mm diameter), so instead bought a kid's binocular, and took out the lenses from that.

6MCvWfe.jpg

The lenses were of focal length 80mm so the cardboard box had to be modified. Here's how it looked after modification.

x9mDtRd.jpg

The images were little hazy due to poor quality of lenses, but still the experience was great. The app is great and has lot of things to explore :-
1. Pixar video,
2. Google Earth :- Certain valleys and monuments and also space view
3. Youtube browser in app as if you are sitting in a theatre
4. Street View
5. Your own created Photospheres
6. Guided tours to some Palaces

It was really fun viewing the app that was made by google and videos on you tube.

oRF43Fh.jpg

I will be purchasing exact specified lenses soon from a proper lens shop for better experience.

Important links :-
Google's Site for cardboard: https://developers.google.com/cardboard/
Cardboard App :- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo

Reviews :-
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...es-awesomely-weird-answer-to-virtual-reality/[DOUBLEPOST=1403887313][/DOUBLEPOST]There are some games for durovis.

http://www.divegames.com/games.html
https://www.durovis.com/index.html

I am trying those out.

Last edited:
This Google cardboard thing is absolute bull. The main job of the hmd is to provide accurate head tracking. Without that these devices are useless.

This is nothing more than just a lame attack on the occulus rift hmd, built by a moron in google. No offense meant to the thread creator.

This Google cardboard thing is absolute bull. The main job of the hmd is to provide accurate head tracking. Without that these devices are useless.

This is nothing more than just a lame attack on the occulus rift hmd, built by a moron in google. No offense meant to the thread creator.

Wont the tracking work by means of the camera? Obviously not as good but still?

There is tracking of head in the app using gyroscope. The photosphere, google earth and animation video included had head tracking. If you turned your head left, the app showed whats to the left in the environment.

Wont the tracking work by means of the camera? Obviously not as good but still?
Works like crap - the internal sensor on most devices is far from accurate. It absolutely needs an external sensor or else the lag will totally cause a head ache.

@Chaos
Lag would be a major issue i suppose even if it has a dedicated sensor if its in a phone, Android has (become) quite resource intensive and you'd need an awesome piece of code(doubtful) or top notch hardware thrown at it to counter. A dedicated device would always be better

It's a fun DIY project that costs next to nothing. Why are you getting so angry?

Lets appreciate the DIY for what it is, and not what it can be. How many people can buy a Oculus or similarly priced item today?

This can also be a good experiment for kids at low cost from a learning perspective.

@Chaos
Lag would be a major issue i suppose even if it has a dedicated sensor if its in a phone, Android has (become) quite resource intensive and you'd need an awesome piece of code(doubtful) or top notch hardware thrown at it to counter. A dedicated device would always be better
Without revealing anything further let me tell you I have been experimenting on this for a while now. The inbuilt phone sensor is absolutely woeful compared to the sensor in the rift and similar devices. That is not how a good VR device should be.

It's a fun DIY project that costs next to nothing. Why are you getting so angry?
As I mentioned I have nothing against the thread creator. I am unhappy with Google's decision to drumroll this card board box and claim it is a VR device. It most certainly is not. If folks experience this and then make an impression of VR based on that, it really poisons the market for well designed devices such as the occulus rift which provide an experience which is way way superior.

What Google has done here : They revealed their experimental mods to have your own cheap VR experience and gather feedback as to how many people really are into it after experiencing it?

Based on this data and the fun people will have it, they will make strategies to bring it full scale in competition to the rift. Loved the Google approach.

Back