PC Peripherals Of PSU, UPS, PFC and Sine wave

c1ph3r said:
Hi guys :)
I am building a new ring with the following config in a few days
CPU : Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard : Z68 based motherboard (maybe GIGABYTE Z68XUD4R-B3 as I cannot find other Z68 boards in bangalore :()
RAM : Corsair vengeance / Gskill Ripjaws 1600MHz 8GB (still haven't decided which one maybe will finalize while buying only)
Hard Disk : Samsung 1TB hard disk (more will added later)
GPU : Radeon HD 6950 2GB (will adding one more in crossfire some months down the line:))
PSU : Corsair HX 850 (already bought)
Cabinet : NZXT Phantom

I need help deciding on a UPS :S.I have received quotes from a few shops
APC BR1000-IN (RS-1000) - Rs7500 (everyone quoted the same price for this one is the price OK ?)
APC BR-600 CI-IN - Rs2300
MGE-Eaton 1KVA - Rs6500 (googled this company and seems this company was taken over by APC/schneider and is now one of their brands anyone has any experience with their UPS ? )

Please suggest which of these will be good for my config or any other you can suggest also I cannot buy a pure sine wave UPS or one with external batteries.
Max budget is 8K

Even i am looking for similar UPS. I zeroed in on APC 1100KVA one.
APC UPS 1100 VA Home Office UPS Backup BR1100 CI-IN | eBay : Rs5650 on ebay

Buy APC | APC Back UPS 660 Watts/1100 VA | Buy UPS : Rs 4850 + 650 shipping on PrimeAbgb

any idea which one is better out of APC 1000KVA or APC1100KVA??

devesh38 said:
Even i am looking for similar UPS. I zeroed in on APC 1100KVA one.
APC UPS 1100 VA Home Office UPS Backup BR1100 CI-IN | eBay : Rs5650 on ebay

Buy APC | APC Back UPS 660 Watts/1100 VA | Buy UPS : Rs 4850 + 650 shipping on PrimeAbgb

any idea which one is better out of APC 1000KVA or APC1100KVA??
The UPS mentioned by you is available at Golchha in bangalore for 4500 + tax
also there is one more UPS with auto shutdown software
APC Back-UPS RS, 1000VA, 230V, INDIA
available for 6500 + tax

Is the software really useful or shall I go for the 1.1KVa one :huh:

i tried locating the local dealers chennai. I got the quote for 1KVA model as Rs5800/-. Thats pretty less compared to the price given on sites.

I got the quote for 1KVA model as Rs5800/-.

Totally agree with that I picked up the 1Kva one last month locally for something in 5K or so. Will get home and check the bill and post exactly but yeah its not 6K for sure!! and 6800/- is way too much for it being quoted.

I am VERY glad I found this thread. I am building a US$3000+ rig, and as I was listing the components on my Excel sheet, the feint but nagging thought drifted through my mind that I should look into the compatibility of my PSU with the UPS. Well after 3 hours of Googling, I discover that active PFC is not compatible with the lower end Back-UPS, so I have to get a Smart-UPS for twice the price.

What would I have done if I didn't bother to look into this? Corsair won't tell you unless you ask, and APC won't tell you unless you ask, and you only ask after finding out that your $150 UPS causes a buzzing in the PSU!!! So how are you supposed to know unless you know SPECIFICALLY what to ask?? How many other problems remain undiscovered because I don't know what to ask and how?

Very frustrating I must say.

I am VERY glad I found this thread. I am building a US$3000+ rig, and as I was listing the components on my Excel sheet, the feint but nagging thought drifted through my mind that I should look into the compatibility of my PSU with the UPS. Well after 3 hours of Googling, I discover that active PFC is not compatible with the lower end Back-UPS, so I have to get a Smart-UPS for twice the price.

What would I have done if I didn't bother to look into this? Corsair won't tell you unless you ask, and APC won't tell you unless you ask, and you only ask after finding out that your $150 UPS causes a buzzing in the PSU!!! So how are you supposed to know unless you know SPECIFICALLY what to ask?? How many other problems remain undiscovered because I don't know what to ask and how?

Very frustrating I must say.

read Post #13...they are not in compatible,,,,but only cause an issue when but are working at their limits which should not be the case if you plan the system build well.....

Ok... I am all confused on reading the entirety of this thread. So basically, if you have an Active PFC SMPS then you cannot use an APC BackUPS model because of "buzzing". So what exactly happens during that buzzing? I mean, you won't wait to finish the game level that you are on or complete the next twenty calculations on the spreadsheet if that is open, right? All you will do is save your work and shut down the system. Now, is the buzzing causing the life of the SMPS to decrease? I don't know. Is the buzzing going to fry your computer? I don't know. Is the UPS doing its job? Yes, it is. Is it getting fried while it is doing this job? Not that I can see. So basically if I have to avoid that sound, I will have to spend for an UPS in double figures. Not to mention that a good Corsair supply costs atleast 75% of that double figure.

I have been using a BackUPS 500ES for the past three years with a Tagan 600W Stonerock PS (which has APFC) and as soon as the power goes off, there is a light buzz, but I switch off the system as soon as I can. I have been working like this for the past three years without issues. So, really, is it worth going into double figures for a SmartUPS from APC when you can buy a BackUPS 1kVA for like 7k? Beats me. :huh:

The buzz is due to the square wave output of the UPS being fed into the circuitry of the PSU, which is not configured to handle square waves.

Compared to the approximated sinewave coming off Indian mains, there is roughly 60% more energy in the square wave and this puts more strain on the rectifying circuitry if the load remains constant.

That said, my UPSs now run a max of 10 seconds each (the time between power off and backup generators on) so it doesn't bother me as much. When I didn't have power backup the constant buzz was very irritating.

Got Numeric 600EX UPS for my PC. :)

Price:1600rs

Numeric%252520600EX.jpg

Which is overall better PSU for average PC ?

Corsair CX430 v2 or Seasonic 430W ?

May be near @2.5K ?

And any cheaper option for True Sine Wave UPS ?

Does anyone got quote about APC BR1500G-IN

Well, I am in pune and the cheapest I can get is 11.5 k inc vat

However there are 2 sites where its available for 10.2k I dont know what will be cost of with tax + octrai and shipping maybe it will come close to this.

I am going for 1.5 KVA becuase my system draws about ~560 Watts on peak load and my poor 650VA APC only provides 390 Watts of power. My Specs are in my Sig please let me know if my system's power uses is okay, Idle power uses is around ~300 Watts, could be bad apc sensor as well
<

vx450w

Microtek 1KVA UPS'es seem to be incompatible, also the newer Microtek Heritage range seems incompatible (PC restarts on idle)

800VA Maxpower+ double battery works fine under full load conditions

Which is overall better PSU for average PC ?

Corsair CX430 v2 or Seasonic 430W ?

May be near @2.5K ?

And any cheaper option for True Sine Wave UPS ?

Try Microtek 800VA Maxpower

The UPS mentioned by you is available at Golchha in bangalore for 4500 + tax

also there is one more UPS with auto shutdown software

APC Back-UPS RS, 1000VA, 230V, INDIA

available for 6500 + tax

Is the software really useful or shall I go for the 1.1KVa one
<

I have the UPS you've mentioned, APC BACK-UPS RS 1000, but the battery is kaput, need to replace it but don't know whereto procure it from, the website is least helpful.

Good initiative explaining the PSUs and UPS. However, I have a question. I have a Corsair 750TX PSU. Which UPS would be compatible? I just need 10 15 minutes of backup as the power backup from the society takes that much time to kick in. Here is my rig:

1) 7850 2Gb
2) AMD phenom II 720BE overclocked to 3.3 GHz on stock volts
3) 3 Hard drives 3.5" 7200 RPM 1TB each
Rest in my sig

my pogoplug buzzes when it runs on my apc inverter + ups during powercuts. setup is this way. apc pure sine wave inverter -> apc square wave ups -> pogoplug.
i think apc's home inverter is not a pure sine wave like they claim. probably some stepped approximation to sine wave. on mains the pogo does not make the buzzing noise. only on inverter (like some weird fan noise) and on ups (a lot like whrrrrr).

My problem is i need to run it during 6am - 8am in morning when there's no power in my place. will something happen to the pogoplug's circuit if i run it for so long on this semi square wave output from inverter? is it safe to ignore? cause a pure sine wave ups costs 10k at lowest and the pogo just about 2.2k. will one of those chinese thingies that claim they correct the power factor work (and save electricity) in this scenario? i mean if i put one of those things in parallel to output from inverter, it might work since that thing has two very high capacity caps in them i guess.

Edit: another way would be to remove the connection to mainboard of pogoplug from its internal power supply and run it off a 2A, 5V usb wall charger. The power connection says +5v near the connector on the board. Maybe I'll try measuring the voltages from the output of the power supply first. 2A is more than enough to power 1 usb hdd and 1 usb pen drive right?

I have had no problems running my APC Back-UPS PRO 1000 with my Corsair AX850 power supply. Used the combo for around 2 years, without problems. If the power went out, the battery would kick in without delay, allowing me to save my work and shut down normally. Granted, there was a buzzing noise when the UPS would kick in, but this didn't bother me at all as saving my data was more important.

whoa! great read.

just wanted to clear a few things

1. If system is not running to the UPS's limits, this issue does not come in?

2. I had a APC 1100VA UPS which could not handle my 200-300W system. (Which kinda contradicts the statement above, i.e. if you are not running system to UPS's limits, there is no problem). Now I have aAPC BR1500G-IN. Will it be fine or should I get a pure sine-wave smart UPS? (I am expecting for the current load to increase to about 400-500W

Back