OLED phones with curved displays to be introduced by Samsung and LG this month

Aman27deep

Skilled

According to unwiredview which gets it's information from sources in Korea, both LG and Samsung are getting ready to launch flexible phones in the upcoming week or two. LG and Samsung both are currently up against each other to release their 'curved' phone as soon as possible, and further details about either devices are very scarce as of now.

Of what details are known - LG's phone will be known as the LG Z and the Samsung counterpart will be the Note 3 active.

Although 'bendable screen' may trick you into thinking that the phones are bendable per se, it isn't so. The internals such as the battery, cpu etc are still not bendable so the screens will only be less prone to damage of any sorts.

At first, the quantities for either devices are expected to be quite less as neither company has plants to do mass-productions of the devices yet.

Attachments

• flexible-phone-screens.jpg
    flexible-phone-screens.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 8,875
I think screens wont break when some pressure applied on mobile when in pocket. Complaints are heard about this scenario. Am i right? Some body correct me if i'm wrong.

What's the use of curved display ? If anyone knows please share.
Wearable on your curvaceous body :D

Also, if they could somehow emulate the screens to work like a scroll, then it would be easier to carry large tablets in pockets and backpacks. That however is a very distant dream, and there are so many hurdles to cross before it even sees the light.

I think screens wont break when some pressure applied on mobile when in pocket. Complaints are heard about this scenario. Am i right? Some body correct me if i'm wrong.
Unbreakable screens are very interesting, that means one can abuse it like those nokia brick phones..

Wearable on your curvaceous body :D

Also, if they could somehow emulate the screens to work like a scroll, then it would be easier to carry large tablets in pockets and backpacks. That however is a very distant dream, and there are so many hurdles to cross before it even sees the light.
That's a wearable technology, but how can one carry large tablets if it's internals are not curved. I mean you can't fold plastic or poly carbonates until that's made up of some different material.

Even if it's possible i don't think it will last enough.

That's a wearable technology, but how can one carry large tablets if it's internals are not curved. I mean you can't fold plastic or poly carbonates until that's made up of some different material.

Even if it's possible i don't think it will last enough.

It's simple: you place all the internals which cannot be folded on the edge of the tablet. Sort of like how the paper is held between two hard pieces in a scroll.

It is still a long way before we see any such mind-bending wizardry. However, very much possible within the next decade, considering the progress we've made in the previous decade.

Our you could think different and create printable circuits that can bend easily. With that tech, you could print circuits on a thin plastic film and still get a display to work, etc. The main problem would be bending the display in a scroll type of system. You won't be able to use glass in that case. So no capacitive touch. Something new would be needed.

Well, we can look at this way. For the start, the screen bending can be limited to certain degrees. This will be a test platform to see how users consume this and react to this change. This will also pave way for more feedback to see where bending makes more sense. It is exactly the forums like this where the genius of the ideas lie. Lot of designers flock to these "prestigious" sites to gather "free intelligence".
Once the initial bending is accepted and becomes mainstream, other degrees of bending will be called for and the next genration of the phones will be developed. Ever thought of flip phones how they were developed?
So i don't think that phones will suddenly develop like a scroll, but evolve out as the consumers get savy and comfortable with new set of convenience and usage. This will also mushroom out specific apps that are particularly suitable for bent screens - say measuring the body for the best fit of garment? Who knows there have been more silly apps out there :)

What's the use of curved display ? If anyone knows please share.

When I was a kid, I used to wonder why the cinema screens are curved. I got my answer pretty soon when I learnt how projectors work. The picture will loss sharpness at the extremities of the screen, so they bend it towards the viewers. Surrounding the screen onto the viewers also helps in making screens larger and yet viewable (decreasing the viewing angle).

Recently, huge TVs were introduced with curved screens. They are based on the same principle as cinema screens.

I am 100% sure that the curved phone in question is based upon the same principle. That picture in OP has to be a fake. No way, you can make a fully functional phone with screen curved that way. It has to be curved towards the users (i.e., concave screen).

I am 100% sure that the curved phone in question is based upon the same principle. That picture in OP has to be a fake. No way, you can make a fully functional phone with screen curved that way. It has to be curved towards the users (i.e., concave screen).
Those already exist in the market. This article is about curved screens, as in flexible, which you can bend anyway you want to, concave or convex.

When I was a kid, I used to wonder why the cinema screens are curved. I got my answer pretty soon when I learnt how projectors work. The picture will loss sharpness at the extremities of the screen, so they bend it towards the viewers. Surrounding the screen onto the viewers also helps in making screens larger and yet viewable (decreasing the viewing angle).

Recently, huge TVs were introduced with curved screens. They are based on the same principle as cinema screens.

Exactly what i thought initially increasing sharpness/viewing angles and to squeeze more real estate in the phone form factor maybe are some reasons of introducing curved screens to coming smartphones.

Other than that still can't see any other benefit.

^^
- Curved devices help in increasing the ergonomics. Large, flat devices are trickier to hold. Also, a curved device feels less awkward when you put it against your ears :rolleyes:

- The device mentioned in this thread has supposedly a 'flexible' screen, which allows for slight deformation when subjected to daily abuse. Only the screen is flexible and not its innards.

http://m.androidauthority.com/samsung-flexible-display-official-280962/

Just minutes after LG issued a press release announcing it would start mass producing flexible panels, the crosstown rivals at Samsung struck back with their own official announcement.

Samsung announced that it has already started mass-producing flexible panels, and that, unlike its competitor, it will release a commercial product equipped with the display “within days”. That’s another official confirmation that a curved screen phone will be launching this week, after the statements of two company executives in September.

Not only is Samsung outpacing LG when it comes to manufacturing, but Samsung’s flexible display seems to be superior in terms of specifications. The 5.7-inch plastic-based display is 0.12 millimeters thick, more than three times thinner than the 0.44 millimeters of the LG product. Samsung’s display is also lighter, at 5.2 grams, compared to the 7.2 grams of the slightly larger 6-inch LG display.

Finally, while LG’s flexible panel can bend around a circle of a 700 millimeters radius, Samsung’s product has a 400 millimeters bend radius. In other words, Samsung’s display can bend more than LG’s without breaking.

We will update this post with the official press release as soon as we receive it.

d3gv.jpg

Back