Camera Olympus OM-D E-M5: New Camera Everyone is Going Crazy for Now

ronnie_gogs

Morphing from a Geek to a Nerd
Skilled
Well everyone in the photography forums and people all over the world are going about some new camera.... But I see no one even interested in it in here... But lets see if anyone is as excited as I am about this camera as I am....

Geared towards : Street Style photography

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Price : Body only Pre Order Now at $999 with weather sealed kit at $1299

zurbeauty.jpg

By ronnie_gogs at 2012-03-04

01lto.jpg

02lq.jpg

03lx.jpg

Sensor Size : Micro 4/3

Main Features

1. World’s first dust & splash-proof capability mirrorless camera. Proven with the E-5 camera.

dustsplashproofimage.jpg

10lei.jpg

2. World’s first 5-axis image stabilization to compensate for camera shake of any kind during both still photo and movie shooting.

3. World’s fastest FAST AF autofocusing system plus 3D tracking for improved moving object tracking performance.

4. Built-in electronic viewfinder with high image quality and high functionality that enables real-time checking of various shooting conditions.

5. 16-megapixel new Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VI image processing engine for high image quality and high sensitivity

6. Continuous Shooting speeds for 9 fps with fixed focus and 4.2 with autofocus

What I like

1. Full Magnesium Alloy Weather Sealed body

sealingbody.jpg

magnesiumd.jpg

2. 70s styling

zcompom1top.jpg

zcompom1fr.jpg

zcompom1bk.jpg

3. View finder which was additional in PEN Series and Panasonic range

05lo.jpg

4. Not as heavy and bulky as a DSLR

5. Ideal for Street photography

6. Wireless Flash control

7. And inbody 5 axis stablisation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimZkKidsHE

Imagine this with a Voigtlander 0.95 25mm
<
Yeah I can only dream of owning that lens with a Leica M9

More Pics

013xid.jpg

hld6g6pbestlensbs.jpg

Looks beautiful! My dad used to have an OM-10 and the 50mm prime seen above. This brings back those old memories!

I recently started shooting film and got a Nikon FM-10 for that and I love the old vintage look.... Cant afford a Leica maybe I can afford this one

Looks good, even the new Fujifilm X-Pro1 is highly awaited.

http://www.dpreview....lmXPro1_Preview

How has your experiment with film been? Have you uploaded any pics?

The X-Pro1 is awesome with the APS-C sensor.... But at a estimated price of $2300 with a Kit its like getting a D700 body or a 7D with kit.... Way out of range
<

Source : http://www.dpreview....lm_X-Pro1_price

This is more affordable with a weather sealed lens and with loads of Micro 4/3 lens options...

About my film experiment... First roll didn't come out that well as I was unsure about handling a complely manual camera... Now I am trying to get chemicals to setup a small b/w processing lab at my room... Then I can experiment more... Film is hard to use but I plan to seriously get into B&W photography as soon as possible

Best of luck with your film experiments, #Brendon had a go too, but was not much successful. One thing which film teaches you is to concentrate more on the compositional aspect, as there is no preview option...

^^ My second attempt wasn't much better either.
<
Got some light leak which destroyed a few photos.

@OP - This looks good but the EVF isn't too good and the kit lens is too slow for my tastes. f6.3 @ 50mm is simply ridiculous ! Thankfully a body only option is available but I would still prefer the NEX7 with its better viewfinder and bigger sensor.

If I buy this one I would pair it with a 25mm Panasonic Leica f1.4 but the kit would be 22mm - 100mm as m4/3 format has a multiplier of 2x so may a good general lens... Lots of cheap 2nd hand Leica , Voigtlander and Zuiko lenses here in Singapore but I would prefer autofocus too... As for viewfinder and all lets see how this camera performs when reviews come out....

I will continue my experiments with film as I am ordering a box of 10 B/W film reels soon and will practice developing the one I shot recently...

Back