Windows One Laptop, 2 Hard disks, 2 separate boot loaders

vaibhavyagnik

youtube.com/vaibhavyagnik
Adept
Hi,
I have a laptop with one hard disk. This hard disk contains windows 7. I intend to keep work and personal use separate. So is it possible to install a separate hard disk and install fresh windows 7 on it without it affecting the bootloader on my current hard disk? I will select the hard disk each time while booting the laptop. the DVD drive bay is currently empty and other hard disk can be installed in this slot.

It depends if your Laptop has room for another Hard Disk ...and yes it is possible to install a second windows ...simply install the 2nd Hard Disk and install windows normally ...windows boot loader will automatically log in the 2nd os ...and every time you turn on your Laptop you will be provided with the choice of both the OS ...

^^And if you don't want bootloader to show you OS choices then just disconnect the first HDD while installing on the second HDD.
After that choose the disk while booting to start the OS you want.

I have such a setup on my desktop. I set the order of the hard drives in the BIOS, as to which hard drive I want to boot from, and the OS on that hard drive boots without problem.

Also, if I dont need the other drive to be accessed from another, I keep it disconnected.

It's really a good way to have multiple OS on your computer, without the risk of messing up MBR.

Or create a live boot disk on the other hdd and connect it over usb. but I second vmware for keeping systems separate.

My office IT will throw a fit if I asked them to install virtual box so that is not an option. @booo you mean a live linux installation? I already have ubuntu installed on a usb 3.0 thumb drive and boot off it. But I would rather have windows running on it for installing adobe light room then to have in running on ubuntu running wine

Back