One remote to rule them all?

boogeyman

Adept
Hello guys,

The reason for requesting your help on this fine Holi afternoon is my exasperation of handling two remotes: one for the TV (On/Off, volume) other one for the STB (STB on/off, channel). Ever since the stupid regulations of making STB's compulsory in metro's, I've been forced to lug around 2 remotes for doing such minor tasks.

I came across some options of universal remotes but the abundance of options and manufacturers makes this decision complex. My absolute must-have requirements are:

- Should be able to control on/off, volume and channel on my TV - Sony DRC 29" CRT model
- Should be able to control on/off, volume and channel on my STB - Nagravision/Radix STB provided by In-Cable

Other features like channel and picture set from the universal remote would be good to have, but not absolutely necessary. My budget is upto 1K but can exceed by .5k if the product is worth it.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holi.

I have an Airtel DTH. The remote supplied for STB can be programmed to do the job of TV also. The person who installed STB, did some kind of info transfer from TV remote to STB remote by holding their IR ports cms away from each other and then pressing keys on both the remotes for around 30secs(I don't know the details). After that the STB remote does both the functions of TV as well as STB. In fact the procedure for doing this is clearly elaborated with the STB user manual. I have misplaced the same. In case I am able to get the manual, I will put down the exact steps followed for Airtel DTH. I am sure something similar should be available in your case also.
Only caveat is there should be a fresh set of batteries in both the remotes, otherwise if the strength of IR fluctuates then it is possible to corrupt the program of either or both the remotes.

Last edited:
Back