Android Oneplus 3 - promotional accidental damage insurance by Servify is a sham

Detox101

Disciple
I had purchased a Oneplus 3 device from Amazon.in on 7/7/16. I had promptly registered my device on the Servify Oneplus Care app installed on my Oneplus 3 device.

On 23/7/16, I had a mishap and the device screen glass got shattered. I quickly registered a service request under the accident cover plan on the Servify Oneplus Care app installed on my Oneplus 3 device. I was assured a service pick up of the device from my residence on 25/7/16. The phone was collected by a Servify executive from my residence on the same day.

Since the screen of my Oneplus device got shattered and I had to give it away for servicing.. I cleaned the data on the phone by doing a factory reset and reinstalled Oneplus care app on my other phone to track my service request. You may check and find that my device was registered on Oneplus Care platform and the service request was initiated using the Oneplus Care app on my Oneplus 3 phone.

On emailing my id proof and the filled claim form to claims@servify.in, I got a revert from that since the Oneplus care app is currently not installed on the damaged device and is installed on my other phone, my device would not be covered under the insurance scheme. This is illogical as no one would give away their device without a factory reset to clean their data.

Now Oneplus support expects me to Rs. 9,500 get my touchscreen replaced. Please be careful while buying Oneplus phones.. their support sucks bigtime..

I was actually gonna post about such Smartphone Insurance scams.

pnJha1y.png

Last edited:
Unless the brand you buy itself isnt providing the insurance or is the main point of contact, never go for these shams. Most big electronic stores too have this sham where you pay upfront 1/2k but when you claim you are made to run about so much that you give up. Then when you confront them next time they will just say that you didnt "complete the process". Its a very convenient way to make a truck load of money. Wonder if these guys are even covered by IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority) so atleast you can approach the ombudsman.

What they have done is ridiculous but in any case, why did you wipe the phone? You could have just deleted your Google account and all images etc from the device. In case you had lost touch response on the screen, that would have been your only option in any case (connecting to pc and deleting whatever you can).

Now, if they have fineprint in the policy that says that the app should exist on the damaged device, you are scrwd. :(

That's why you need to take screenshots with time stamps on it or else take photos/record before handing over. I do that when i go to service centers, Have a pen spy camera. Can sue them badly in consumer courts if you proof like that.

Even that so called Syska Gadget insurance is a scam. Most ridiculous thing from the pic above is Asking for Medical proof and Driving license. Seriously Pics of the vehicle?

It's a no-brainer to do a factory reset on the phone one gives to the service center.. The terms and conditions nowhere state that the app should always be installed on the phone.. It just says that it should be registered and the claim should be made on the app installed on the damaged phone.. which I had followed.. after I give away the phone.. wherever I install the app is none of their business.. but still I think Oneplus support can do a better job of handling such things.. its been one week and I still have no idea.. where the heck my phone is..

Lesson learnt.. not buying cheap chinese phones with pathetic service ever.. was better off with my samsung galaxy phones.. earlier..

One more thing.. stay away from these fly-by-night insurance offers.. they are nothing but a sham.. no value.. just too much effort and heartache..

What they have done is ridiculous but in any case, why did you wipe the phone? You could have just deleted your Google account and all images etc from the device. In case you had lost touch response on the screen, that would have been your only option in any case (connecting to pc and deleting whatever you can).

Now, if they have fineprint in the policy that says that the app should exist on the damaged device, you are scrwd. :(

I had purchased a Oneplus 3 device from Amazon.in on 7/7/16. I had promptly registered my device on the Servify Oneplus Care app installed on my Oneplus 3 device.
If you did that then your device details should be in their database. Had you never installed it then they can claim you never activated it.

Now how much was the plan cost and who paid it ?

On 23/7/16, I had a mishap and the device screen glass got shattered. I quickly registered a service request under the accident cover plan on the Servify Oneplus Care app installed on my Oneplus 3 device. I was assured a service pick up of the device from my residence on 25/7/16. The phone was collected by a Servify executive from my residence on the same day.
app installed at the time of accident.

You may check and find that my device was registered on Oneplus Care platform and the service request was initiated using the Oneplus Care app on my Oneplus 3 phone.
Are they saying they have no record of your device in their database ? maybe you got an email confirming your activation you can use that to prove you are activated in any case you have the paperwork that enrolled you for the plan.

Now Oneplus support expects me to Rs. 9,500 get my touchscreen replaced. Please be careful while buying Oneplus phones.. their support sucks bigtime..
So what exactly is covered here.

https://servify.in/blog/oneplus-care-get-oneplus-3-repaired-accidental-damage-protection-plan/

Shouldn't you be talking to the servify people ? they're the ones footing the bill here after you paid your 'deductible'.

Once the damaged phone is at the ASC, their authorized representatives will thoroughly check the damage and prepare an estimate of the repair work. The cost of repairing a smartphone can be high, but with the help of ADPP you need to pay only Rs 1000/- towards the ‘Mandatory Deductible Charges’ as applicable in any insurance backed damage protection plans. Visit here to check what is covered under ADPP.
Seems they want rs.1000 first.

not seeing anything in the terms that would disqualify you. You are over the age of 18 right ?

https://servify.in/termsandconditions/oneplus-tnc/

Last edited:
I too registered my Oneplus 3 on the servify app. It sent me a confirmation mail. But it says that to claim service I should request service only from the registered phone. That is ridiculous. Say If my phone is so damaged that I cant even access it or switch it on then what the hell am I supposed to do?
I am also thinking of following with Both Oneplus and Servify on this matter and take it on mail from them that in such case I can raise a service request from some other phone.

I did all that was required to claim insurance.. including registering the device and claiming service through the app installed on my damaged phone.. I could do it as my touchscreen after the damage was still working.. Servify guys acknowledged my service request and even collected the device from my place.. I have the receipt handy too..

However, I had to do a factory reset before giving away the device.. so after I gave away my device I installed the app on my spare phone to track my request.. thats it.. And that is what the servify guys are holding on to.. that the app is installed on a non Oneplus 3 device at the time of me claiming the insurance..

Seems illogical.. but then I've been running from pillar to post to get it done.. and until now I have no idea whether my phone will even get repaired at all..

Servify does not have a phone numbers on their website.. only way to reach them is through email.. They have conveniently ignored my 6 emails to them since last week.. have received no email from them except the one in which they denied me insurance.. Oneplus support seems helpless..

And I bought a Oneplus device on Amazon.in.. so clearly the brands that I will hold accountable are Oneplus and Amazon.. Servify is a nobody to me.. they are piggybacking their promotion on Oneplus page.. so since the promotion is on a Oneplus device on Amazon website.. these 2 brands should be looking after me.. not some fly by night insurance offering company called Servify..

Clearly a sham.. I've raised the issue with Amazon.in too.. now they want me to provide another set of documents and an email from Oneplus service center and Servify confirming my story.. How will someone who is denying me service to fleece me cooperate with me to raise a complaint with Amazon..

These people have lost their minds.. and I am sick and tired.. so much for the mobile revolution and digital India.. huh!

If you did that then your device details should be in their database. Had you never installed it then they can claim you never activated it.

Now how much was the plan cost and who paid it ?

app installed at the time of accident.

Are they saying they have no record of your device in their database ? maybe you got an email confirming your activation you can use that to prove you are activated in any case you have the paperwork that enrolled you for the plan.

So what exactly is covered here.

https://servify.in/blog/oneplus-care-get-oneplus-3-repaired-accidental-damage-protection-plan/

Shouldn't you be talking to the servify people ? they're the ones footing the bill here after you paid your 'deductible'.

Seems they want rs.1000 first.

not seeing anything in the terms that would disqualify you. You are over the age of 18 right ?

https://servify.in/termsandconditions/oneplus-tnc/

Last edited:
Good that they are willing to co-operate. Else its a bad stigma attached to a good brand like Oneplus. I do understand why Oneplus may have partnered with them. Servify also needs to address these issues.
And first of all Govt of India needs to make it MANDATORY for all businesses providing service online or without a physical point of contact (like a workshop or a store) to have a toll free helpline no for customers and also it should have limited waiting times. I dont mind if its functioning only during business hours but something should be there.

Did that too.. albeit of no use..

Just got a call from Servify though.. they are willing to relook at it and provide me cover.. hope my social media complains help..
Dont relent. Keep tagging Amazon and Oneplus in the tweets every other day. People are already apprehensive about their service. Yours is a genuine case, no reason for them to stress you like this. Shoddy service.

However, I had to do a factory reset before giving away the device.. so after I gave away my device I installed the app on my spare phone to track my request.. thats it.. And that is what the servify guys are holding on to.. that the app is installed on a non Oneplus 3 device at the time of me claiming the insurance..

Seems illogical.. but then I've been running from pillar to post to get it done.. and until now I have no idea whether my phone will even get repaired at all..
This is misinformation. forget it. You're registered. they know about you.

Servify does not have a phone numbers on their website.. only way to reach them is through email.. They have conveniently ignored my 6 emails to them since last week.. have received no email from them except the one in which they denied me insurance.. Oneplus support seems helpless..
But they do have a physical location some where.

And I bought a Oneplus device on Amazon.in.. so clearly the brands that I will hold accountable are Oneplus and Amazon.. Servify is a nobody to me.. they are piggybacking their promotion on Oneplus page.. so since the promotion is on a Oneplus device on Amazon website.. these 2 brands should be looking after me.. not some fly by night insurance offering company called Servify..
I think Servify does matter. Usually companies offer this 'protection plan ' as a device to keep their commissions up. Saying 6 months coverage means they get to keep the price + screen replacement up for that amount of time. It is never free because they collect the money from you in the first place as the asking price is high then drops by the cost of the protection several months after the offer lapses.

That's not the case with 1+ however. They have partnered with somebody to provide this 'accidental' protection. Said protection does not come for free. So who is paying for the coverage ? Not you as you got the phone for less than otherwise. Must be 1+.

The Beneficiary has to pay a Compulsory deductible/Excess charge of Rs. 1000/- in case of repair/replacement during any claim event.

You have not mentioned whether you paid that Rs.1k to servify or not ?

Did anyone from servify mention this because its in their t's & c's.

Not free but just 1k for a screen replacement looks like a pretty sweet deal.

Clearly a sham.. I've raised the issue with Amazon.in too.. now they want me to provide another set of documents and an email from Oneplus service center and Servify confirming my story.. How will someone who is denying me service to fleece me cooperate with me to raise a complaint with Amazon..
amazon can't do anything here, they aren't the ones offering this plan. you do realise that without some sort of insurance no company will offer any repairs. This is not a manufacturing defect is it.[DOUBLEPOST=1470069194][/DOUBLEPOST]
And first of all Govt of India needs to make it MANDATORY for all businesses providing service online or without a physical point of contact (like a workshop or a store) to have a toll free helpline no for customers and also it should have limited waiting times. I dont mind if its functioning only during business hours but something should be there.
Anything extra costs mandated by govt will be passed on to the customer. As it is they are trying to increase taxes one way or another.

Are you ok with that ?

Last edited:
I too registered my Oneplus 3 on the servify app. It sent me a confirmation mail. But it says that to claim service I should request service only from the registered phone. That is ridiculous. Say If my phone is so damaged that I cant even access it or switch it on then what the hell am I supposed to do?
I am also thinking of following with Both Oneplus and Servify on this matter and take it on mail from them that in such case I can raise a service request from some other phone.
Can someone confirm this? If my touchscreen is broken, how can I raise service request on the phone?

I got another call from Servify and they have now confirmed that they will cover me under insurance.. The person on the call also tried to defend the earlier denial stating there was some miscommunication... which I brushed off stating that it was really poor on their part to do this at the inception of their service and their brand..

I will be required to pay the mandatory deductible amount of Rs. 1,000 for claim though.. They even contacted me on twitter and my email asking to confirm if my concern has been resolved.. I reverted stating that until I have my repaired phone in my hand.. I'll keep this matter alive and follow up again after a couple of days..
I also mentioned that this was uncalled for and it should not have come to this.. we're all busy people and can't keep running about to avail what was promised..

I will wait for a couple of days and follow up with Servify.. this time I have a contact person in Servify and a no. to call..

Let's see how things pan out.. I hope no more annoying denials or delays..

This is misinformation. forget it. You're registered. they know about you.

But they do have a physical location some where.

I think Servify does matter. Usually companies offer this 'protection plan ' as a device to keep their commissions up. Saying 6 months coverage means they get to keep the price + screen replacement up for that amount of time. It is never free because they collect the money from you in the first place as the asking price is high then drops by the cost of the protection several months after the offer lapses.

That's not the case with 1+ however. They have partnered with somebody to provide this 'accidental' protection. Said protection does not come for free. So who is paying for the coverage ? Not you as you got the phone for less than otherwise. Must be 1+.

You have not mentioned whether you paid that Rs.1k to servify or not ?

Did anyone from servify mention this because its in their t's & c's.

Not free but just 1k for a screen replacement looks like a pretty sweet deal.

amazon can't do anything here, they aren't the ones offering this plan. you do realise that without some sort of insurance no company will offer any repairs. This is not a manufacturing defect is it.[DOUBLEPOST=1470069194][/DOUBLEPOST]
Anything extra costs mandated by govt will be passed on to the customer. As it is they are trying to increase taxes one way or another.

Are you ok with that ?

Back