Online Inventory Mangement System

arka

Disciple
Can Any one tell me how to proceed in developing a network interface in online inventory management system.....whether it needs socket programming or not.....or can u send me a prototype of such system

Well, I suppose you can do it without as well. It all depends on what you want to do remotely. It would make sense to reuse existing components.

If you want to completely get around socket programming, I recommend creating a web based interface using javascript / java servlets. These can be hosted on the system server, and people can access it from any other computer through their browsers.

No need of Java also if you can program in Perl :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:
But what you have mentioned if pretty much nothing. What online inventory setup is there ?? What database ??? Network ?? Operating systems ?? Do you want to enable it in a bigger network then in that case you need to look at encrypting data also... Load of issues so be specific and i am sure people here can guide you better.

KingKrool said:
Yeah, right. If he knew how to program Perl do you really think he would be here asking us for advice??
Perl programmer = genius.
I have a slight objection to that... Me a Perl Programmer in my company....and i am a total noob here... Actually 10 feet below the noob level...:(
But seriously Perl is an amazing language to program in.. A perl programmer will most likely not shift to any language in the world for any reason...
Also perl is very competent in string manupilation stuff... For such a program you can write 10 lines of Perl to do 100 lines of c code... But it has its limitation also since it is a interpreted language it is slower than other binaries like c.

But to his question i guess we wait for requirements and system / network config. Then only we can comment on that.:)

Thanks = Reps :)

Hey but u need to tell us a bit more....

Like what exactly is to be done.... Do u wish to use a Database for storing ??

Tell us what u have in mind...and sure we could build a model....

I wish a database for storing and database will be situated on the main server and clients are controlling the interfaces like forms etc like godown manager , customer manager .............

that means u are more likely to go for a web interface. You can.

1: Start with a password secured server for start and enable the firewall to let only specific IP's of your dealers to be allowed.

2: Set up a database and spend some time on getting the structure etc , coz though it is easy sometimes to edit later but sometimes its not. Fix a good DB structure.

3: Start setting up forms that will pick up data from DB and display you the status and then order/preorder can be booked.

4: In the extreme case you can use Amazon excellent SOAP/REST service to add good pics/latest data to your DB.

If u need any help just be specific and shoot :)

But Amazon's database does not seem to be free,most probably price lists are:

Pricing

* Pay only for what you use. There is no minimum fee, and no start-up cost.

* $0.15 per GB-Month of storage used.

* $0.20 per GB of data transferred.

Back