Online UPS that is quiet

dpandey

Adept
Are there online UPSs (double conversion/sine wave) that don't sound like a turbojet engine? Don't need much power. 500 watts would suffice (laptop/comp/monitor/headphone amp/dac).

I have a 3kva leibert but the fans are too noisy. Unfortunately, I live in an apt, so tossing it into the garage and running long wires is not an option.

If the current device can be enclosed, then just get an enclosure built for it with some sound deadening material. Such material is available at car audio accessories shops. However, since such material is also insulating, temperatures will rise inside the enclosure. You can use large fans which run at low RPMs for venting the enclosure as those will be much more silent

If the current device can be enclosed, then just get an enclosure built for it with some sound deadening material. Such material is available at car audio accessories shops. However, since such material is also insulating, temperatures will rise inside the enclosure. You can use large fans which run at low RPMs for venting the enclosure as those will be much more silent

I could technically do that, but I would prefer a simpler solution. Also, i don't want it near anything inflammable (no wood enclosure and the sound deadening material is usually tar).

Maybe the fans need a replacement. Have they become more noisy compared to earlier. Can you post a link of your UPS, not heard of this brand before

Apart from doing a enclosure with sound deadening material, you don't have much options, they are all noisy. Most have a 80mm fan or at max a 120mm fan and they are noisy, you could search for silent fan in these sizes but they may not have the same airflow or operate in different voltages.

Maybe the fans need a replacement. Have they become more noisy compared to earlier. Can you post a link of your UPS, not heard of this brand before

The fans were noisy from the start. I put up with it for a while but gave up. I have thought about replacing the fans but they are 80mm and move a lot of air. I fear the quieter ones may not be up to the task.

This is the one

https://www.vertivco.com/en-asia/pr...ower-supplies-ups/liebert-gxt-mt-plus-1-3kva/

When I bought it the company was called Liebert (or Emerson Liebert). Looks like both the company name and the model have been updated.

I have a 3kva leibert but the fans are too noisy.
Specs say it has 6 batteries of 12V 7Ah ?

Wonder what the voltage is, 36V ? with a configuration of 3 in series for 2 strings.

Looks pretty good, should provide adequate backup for a sizable rig.

Doubt you can do anything for the noise other than putting in some sound proof box with an air intake which will then neutralise any sound dampening

I like how the specs say zero time to switch over to battery. 4 milliseconds is about as close to zero as it gets :)

How much did it cost ?

Specs say it has 6 batteries of 12V 7Ah ?

Wonder what the voltage is, 36V ? with a configuration of 3 in series for 2 strings.

I remember reading somewhere it was 72v. The charging voltage rating in the spec (82v) also suggests that.

https://www.vertivco.com/globalasse...-power-supplies-ups/liebert-gxt-mt123-kva.pdf

How much did it cost ?

Paid Rs 28,875 in 2011. Gravity India is the Bangalore dealer.

http://gravityindia.com/product/liebert-gxt-mt-cx-3-kva/

They were easy to deal with. Came for service every year for the first three years. Then they wanted 8k for AMC. I said byebye.

When I bought it the company was called Liebert (or Emerson Liebert). Looks like both the company name and the model have been updated.

It was bought out by a private equity firm in USA for around USD 4 Billion or thereabouts.

Even my APC home ups has a 12v 80mm fan that sounds like a blower. The APC fan got stuck and one day I tried using a computer 80mm fan but the comp fan hardly shifted any air. So I removed the sticker from the apc fan and put in some oil and manually rotated the fan. After a few tries it started working again. I put it in the APC home ups again and it was shifting air like a ventilation fan. No noise for a month but it became noisy as usual again. maybe some white grease will kill the noise.

It was bought out by a private equity firm in USA for around USD 4 Billion or thereabouts.

Even my APC home ups has a 12v 80mm fan that sounds like a blower. The APC fan got stuck and one day I tried using a computer 80mm fan but the comp fan hardly shifted any air. So I removed the sticker from the apc fan and put in some oil and manually rotated the fan. After a few tries it started working again. I put it in the APC home ups again and it was shifting air like a ventilation fan. No noise for a month but it became noisy as usual again. maybe some white grease will kill the noise.

i think you can get a delta fan from aliexpress or somewhere to replace it, some models move a lot of air.

Back