Linux OpenOffice.org developers break ties with Oracle

baccilus

Skilled
Guys, I just read this at Computer World. I have been using Open Office for many years now and I was worried about oracle killing it off. But this seems like a good news:

Some developers of the OpenOffice.org desktop productivity suite announced a break from Oracle on Tuesday, introducing a new name for the project and establishing a new foundation to guide its future.

They will distribute a version of the open-source office productivity suite under the name "LibreOffice," under the purview of an independent organization called The Document Foundation.

Further reading

Larry Ellison is a gem of a strategist. The proverbial dark horse. In a small set of moves, he has created mayhem in the open source world.

Can't really it call direct, but then with the recent lawsuit against Google on copyright violation pertaining to the Java platform, which is an Open Source one, it did send out signals that open might not be something Oracle is really interested in. That coupled with Oracle's earlier take over of MySQL means they have something up their sleeve which they would like to reveal only in parts.

Back