OpenWRT or ddWRT ?

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
5ghz network is giving me much headache in my TP-link c7 ver2.
the 5ghz dropping devices randomly and have to reboot the router to get them hooked again.

currently i have disabled ac, and made all n-only network thinking it will stabilise the 5ghz network but not much improvement. so i'm planing to flash this router with custom firmware.

what is recommended out of these two OpenWRT or ddWRT ?

i wont prefer Gargoyle as its running on older version of open wrt, (v15.xx is not supported anymore after LEDE merger).

Edit:-
My primary goal is to improve the wireless signal & quality.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For 5GHz, I think its best to stick with stock as there have been issues with those running custom fw.
i wish man. i also dont want to take trouble, as it will take me a full day to setup my home network if i flash.
but the stock is terrible, they updated the firmware with this log:
Code:
2. Fixed the bug that the 5GHz Wi-Fi signal will disappear after working for a period.
still no changes, plus for Indian region updates are delayed 1+years

i have seen the forums of both, it seem 5ghz problem only lies with version 1 , where as i have version 2.

i thing i should go with openWrt as they merged with LEDE and LEDE is most active community now, dd wrt is becoming money minded it seems and pushing ads/analytics code in the firmware.[DOUBLEPOST=1532843445][/DOUBLEPOST]this guy has described the issue in details - https://old.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/3usy6f/tplink_archer_c7_drops_5ghz_signal/

but i cant disable 2.4ghz, still two devices need it.

Ddwrt doesn't stand a chance in front of Openwrt. You shouldn't be even comparing the two :)

I have been running openwrt for donkey number of years. One of the devices i have is Archer C7 and it has been stable as a Rock. I have used it as zoneminder client, multiwan, reconfigured its vlan to convert one of the Lan ports to an extra Wan port etc. The upstream packages are awesome.

If switching to 5GHz solves the issue, do it. You can get a cheap 2.4GHz router/AP dirt cheap.

@rajil.s Any issues with the 5GHz on openwrt? Last time I checked, an extra package was needed for some WiFi models, but not every device was stable...

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good articles to read on these custom firmwares for routers..
I want to learn what is the benefit of using them and other hows and whats..

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good articles to read on these custom firmwares for routers..

The benefit of using them is like custom firmwares on Android, allows you to use the full potential of your device.

I can answer this quite well, since I recently discovered the usefullness of open source community router firmwares (operating system) . I'll post about this today in a separate thread..
IMO openwrt is far far more useful to a router than a custom ROM is on android...

I can answer this quite well, since I recently discovered the usefullness of open source community router firmwares (operating system) . I'll post about this today in a separate thread..
IMO openwrt is far far more useful to a router than a custom ROM is on android...

Pleas do post a link to the thread here..

Back