Graphic Cards Overheating graphics card ...

kpkini

Disciple
Am a noob just trying my hand at CS source on my ageing comp.
Need your help to fix heating issues with my graphics card ...

Specs are as follows

Processor - AMD athlon x2 6000+ 3.00GHz
Motherboard - Asus M2N68-AM plus
RAM - transend 2gb 800mhz
Graphics - Nvidia GT220

View attachment 14627

I have put the snap shot of the temp of proccy and card when idling ..

When playing CS source the temp of proccy jumps to 60 to 65 C, the fan RPM goes to 6000 from 3000
and the graphics card hovers around 80 to 85 C ....

however the game continues without any lag ...

I only play cs source at full resolution of 1440 x 900 on my AOC LCD ...

Initially thought it was due to inadequate ventilation so kept the case open, since ZEb flair is pretty much cramped up and has only one cabinet fan ... however no change in temp ..both during idling and when playing the game ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving the case open wont improve the ventilation . For a good airflow there should atleast be 2 fans , one exhaust and at the back and one intake . Try cleaning your GPU and add some thermal paste .

FYI not just your graphics card but all your components is a matter of worry if only the cpu is spared.
Did you observed this high rise in temps recently or its the same since long?
And games like CS doesnt actually put hevay stress on gpus.
Observe the temps in cpu and gpu temp which will give you accurate temp readings as i doubt the gamebooster.

Thank u all guys Rohan, nritech & arya...

I hadn noticed it until i started playing CS ... and i also happened to change my case from the regular one with 2 fans to a smaller Zeb flair ....

I tried the GPU - Z and CPUId utilities to check the temp and they are same as in game booster...

So should i give thermal paste a try ?? any suggestions about whr to buy the thermal paste online ???

So should i give thermal paste a try ?? any suggestions about whr to buy the thermal paste online ???

You can look here --
Theitdepot - Cooling Devices / Thermag-v1.

Apart from these consider the following TIM's (where are you based?) --
  • TuniQ TX-2 ~350/- for a 3.5gm tube
  • Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 ~500/- for a 5gm tube + applicator
  • SVGTech Thermag v1 ~150/- for 1.5gm tube

If you are doing the re-application process for the first time, follow these guides -- GPU TIM Application Guide - EXTREME Overclocking Forums / What's The Best Way To Apply Thermal Paste On A GPU.

Hope this helps. Cheerio!

Back