Ozone Attack Gaming Head set Review

Introduction

wwwzonajugonescomozonel.jpg
We have a lot of brands which offer high end gaming peripherals in the Indian market today, but I don’t think if there are any that really offer great VFM hardware, until now that is. Ozone Gaming Gear is the newcomer in our hardware market, and has been around internationally for almost more than a year now. What really makes them tick is the great price to performance ratio they offer.

The Ozone Attack Gaming Headset is in direct competition to the Sennheiser HD201 and the HD202. Being retailed in the same price range, and weighing a tad bit more on the features side, Ozone Attack has a lot going for it.

Let’s dig in…

Specifications

MICROPHONE

Mic Dimensions: 6.0 x 5.0mm

Directivity: Omnidirectional

Impedance: ≤2.2KΩ

SPL: -38dB±3dB

HEADPHONES

Driver Dimensions: 40mm

Impedance: 32Ω

Frequency Response: 15~25kHz

Sensitivity (SPL): 98dB±3dB

GENERAL

Cord Length: 2.5m

Plug: 3.5mm jack x2 (headphones + mic)

Net Weight: 258g

Up Close

The Ozone Attack Head Set I received for the review was a special edition white headset. The normal edition is basically black with red. The packaging differs on the same color tones. The Snow limited edition box is pretty darn attractive, with the whole white on black theme, and a lot of white splatter going around (Oh gawd, no not that!).

The box is ummmmm.... like a box! There are 2 transparent windows on the front, for you to check out the headset without taking it out, and then the usual deal with the specifications and main features being listed in and around the box.

When in hand the limited edition headset looks absolutely stunning and surprisingly very lightweight, In fact this is the lightest headset I have used so far. This indeed does add to the comfort level.

The cushioning used is soft, but for people who sweat a lot, it might add up to a bit of sweat build up. Apart from that it’s very comfortable.

One small niggle that I had was the build quality not being exactly top notch, when specifically compared to the HD202. Was more of less comparable to that of the HD201’s. But after I considered the price point the headset retails at, this somewhat makes sense.

The connectors are gold plated and of pretty decent quality. Also the headset comes with an in line, volume control module, which also includes a mic mute/unmute switch. And a shirt clip :p .

The cable is made of the usual rubber material thingy; I miss the SteelSeries 5Hv2’s braided cord, adds to the final durability of the product. This headset will just need that extra bit of care I guess. But it is certainly better than that of the Sennheiser counterparts.

One big surprise to me was the inclusion of the 3.5mm splitter cable. What does this mean? Well to simply put it, you can connect the headset to your iPhone, Blackberry, HTC, Samsung device, and use it like just any other hands free headset. (A bit too big , but real handy specially when you’re playing and the misus calls :D)

The Ozone Attack has quite a few advantages over the HD202 and the HD201:

• The inbuilt Microphone

• Inline volume Control

• And the Splitter cable! :D

Performance

This time around, I’ll be testing the headset using only the onboard soundcard on the P5Q Deluxe (ADI2000B). This is because most people purchasing this headset will be on a really tight budget and will not be having a high end sound card. This really helps in getting a generalized perspective.

Testing Includes:

• Counter Strike 1.6

• Counter Strike Source

• Music (WASAPI, no direct windows sound crap)

• TRON Legacy (RAW Blu Ray)

• And a bit of Unreal Tournament III and Quake Live

Gaming

The Ozone Attack performs pretty well when gaming, the soundstage is pretty good for the price IMO. It beat the crap out of the HD201’s. The HD202 on the other hand did have a slightly better soundstage, but most of the sound effects were blown up because of the hefty bass. Ozone Attack on the other hand, did have quite a bit of bass, but not exactly the muffling types. The footsteps were clear, specifically in Counter Strike Source, where most headsets fail at pin pointing the source of the sound. Counter Strike 1.6 was the usual deal, with almost every sound being more or less accurate. I can easily recommend this headset for people staring out with any version of counter Strike and those who are on a tight budget.

All in all, I couldn’t spot any sort of distortion or anything. Foot Steps were easily discernable, and player voices were clear.

The attached microphone, which is not there on the HD201’s and the HD202’s, serves its purpose really well. People on the other end never complain if there was some change in how my voice sounded in game or over Skype. It gets the job done without any hassles.

Plus it swivel’s! :D

Music and Movies

Music performance was strictly average, well basically because I was comparing all these headsets to my Ultrasone Hfi 780’s.

The Ozone Attack was one up on the HD201 always. As for the HD202, the Attack was not as muffled, yet it didn’t lack the amount of bass, it was just slightly less punchy. The mids and highs were being reproduced better than the HD202’s. I found the HD202’s to be very muddy to be precise, the Attack was much accurate.

Word of caution, don’t expect mind blowing/orgasmic from any entry level headset.

TRON Legacy was a pretty good watch with the Attack, I found the bass to be slightly less punchy than I would like, but maybe that’s because I was using my Hfi 780’s a few minutes back. Apart from that the detailing doesn’t lack much and is very decent overall. Just that high end headsets offer you a lot of extra immersion and depth. The Ozone Attack is pretty enjoyable to say the least.

Comfort

Comfort wise the headset is very lightweight, this reduces fatigue to a very large extent. The headband also doesn’t push too hard on either side of your head. The Ear cups rest very comfortable. They aren’t loose exactly, but don’t push on the sides as much.

I really couldn’t tell if they were there even after about 45 - 55 minutes of use, that’s how light they are.

All this comfort does add up to a bit of sound leakage at higher volumes (at about 60% +). This shouldn’t a problem for most.

I did find the HD202 build to be slightly sturdier.

Conclusion

Overall the Ozone Attack is a very pleasing headset. I was using them for almost every CSS scrim lately, for one specific reason – Their weight, which makes them very comfortable for long continuous usage.

The normal Attack retails at an MRP of Rs. 2000/- but is available for a street price of around Rs. 1700/- , the Snow Limited edition is retailing for the same price for a limited period of time. You really can’t go wrong with this headset at this price.

I really wanted to compare this headset to the SteelSeries Siberia, but the Siberia being on the 3k+ category didn't quite help.

This headset is definitely a great buy for people starting out with Online gaming, and need something which is not too heavy on the pocket. Also they offer way more than what the HD201 or the HD202 ever can, read as the great Microphone and the inline volume control.

Ratings? Well I really don’t think it’s really fair to rate budget headsets IMO.

But as compared to the headsets in the same price bracket, I’d definitely give it a solid 9/10.

Forgot to mention, chicks kind of love the white one.

If you guys want me to post my feedback on how these perform when paired with the Essence STX and the Xonar DX, just PM me or post here. I’ll definitely give it a shot.

Big thanks to Ozone Gaming Gear for lending me the limited edition headset for a review, sad thing is that I have to send it back :’( GF loves it :D

Nice review mate. The headphones look cool in white and black and the audio seems to be nice for gaming.

One tip : Next time don't compare any budget headphones to Ultrasones. Else, I'll kill youhhh !! :\

Ohh wait !! what ? 1700 bucks @_@ !! NICE !

Great review..

purchase source please ? :( .. However i m mostly interested in Creative Tactic Sigma 3D but unable to find locally (any help on this? ), will be ordering from newegg as its own a blow-out sale of just 55$ from the previous 86$ :D

Ha! Most of the evaluation samples always goes back. That's the name of the game. If you were in Mumbai, I could have hooked you up with something. Always wanted a gamer who contribute proper/real reviews for gaming peripherals.

Not that I am into sound stuff or anything, but just for good of it, test it between onboard and a soundcard- atleast something like Asus Xonar DX. Gives you a good perspective to see if the sound output is good enough. Under 2k for this headset is a good price.

Back