Camera P&S for Trekking

wr8_utd

Adept
Hey

I'm looking to buy a P&S under 10k for the trek I'll be going on in a couple of weeks. I'm looking for something that will particularly help me take good pics in low light. Any ideas? Thanks!

For 10k, you can get IXUS 255 or TZ25. But for trekking there are few more things may need to consider. Google it...

Hey guys!

So the last time I made this thread, I didn't really end up buying a camera and just ended up using my old P&S and my phone camera. However I'm headed to Ladakh next month and I definitely do need a new P&S this time. I don't want a DSLR as :
a) I'm not a super serious photographer and
b) They're bulky and inconvenient while trekking and in those conditions.

So as before, I'd like a camera with a good zoom and also one which will help me with low light picutures and those of the sky at night and the stars. Something up to a maximum of 15k I guess should do. Is there anything you guys would recommend?

Thanks!

It would be better if you carry a rugged camera for trekking. But I don't know if any of them have manual exposure controls which you will need for astro photography.

Not many rugged models available in India and mostly they are little expensive. See if you can find a good one around your budget. If nothing around your budget, then SX700 would be a decent one to consider.

@nac I don't think I'll need a rugged camera. On my previous trek I didn't see anyone carrying those rugged, dust proof waterproof Ricoh etc cameras. So a standard good P&S would be good. I've been researching the SX700 as well and it has good reviews. What are your views on it's night photography?

@titana the trek is at Ladakh next month. So temperatures will be between -10 to -25 at all times.

i have been there in winter at those temperatures. the pencil batteries particularly do not last in low tempertures. make sure you have a camera with rechargeable battery, pencil batteries are a big no, try to avoid it.

@nac I don't think I'll need a rugged camera. On my previous trek I didn't see anyone carrying those rugged, dust proof waterproof Ricoh etc cameras. So a standard good P&S would be good. I've been researching the SX700 as well and it has good reviews. What are your views on it's night photography?
Given the sensor size, I think it produces good images.

Before going to trekking, read some tips about using cameras in sub zero weather.

None of these cameras will be good for night photography... specially if you are thinking starts/milkyway/astro photography.
I reckon you go with the compact high zoom from either Sony or Nikon.
My personal opinion of the two go with Sony for better low light images and full manual control.
Buy an extra set of batteries since at that temp the batteries wont even last half their life.

P.S: dont turn on and off your cam every now and then. Leave it ON and let it fall in standby mode. This way you will save more battery than turning it On/Off every time.
Also change auto focus settings (possible on my Sony) and set it to auto focus only when you half press the shutter button. This also save ton of battery. OT but GOOD sun glasses is MUST.

Ladakh in this weather.... seriously?

Back