panasonic 32s10 or some other 32" tv for 35K

My friend's planning to take a 32" for around 35K. He's interested in panasonic 32s10 as it has got ips alpha panel and cost less than 33K. Is this a good monitor? How is panasonic's ASS?
He is most concerned about picture quality and viewing angles and need it to be 1080p. Mostly for watching movies and will use it as monitor but not for gaming. extras aren't required(like usb etc), and sound quality doesn't need to be great.

If this particular model isn't good please suggest a good one for around 35K. Budget could be extended to 40K but only if really really worth it.
How is Sony nx500? Is it worth 40K+?

^Don't go for the NX series. The panel has a reflective glass on the front which lends it the monolithic design as Sony claims and reflects everything in the room. For a demo, head to the nearest Sony showroom and give it a shot! OTOH the EX series is a notch better than the entry level BX series and sports a slightly better PQ, easily verified by the default factory settings on both the panels on the same input.

The IPS panels *may* have a slight input lag which may not be very apparent. Besides since your friend doesn't game, this is not an issue per se. I'd rather suggest the S-PVA/AMVA panels instead of the IPS based ones. Black levels are better and the viewing angles do not suffer a tint when viewed from the side.

Do take a look at the Samsung 5 series 32incher and the EX400 from Sony as well. The Philips 32PFL5609 has an IPS panel as well.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Will have a look at samsung 5 series and ex400.
What I have heard is for text, ips would be better than s-pva especially if you are sitting relatively closer to it. Is that the case?

^Yes w.r.t web browsing and the likes. But even the other panels match up to it when you have it calibrated properly. A slight notch in sharpness of the text from the UI does the trick. In any case, carry a laptop with you that has an HDMI out to have it demo'ed.

Will carry the laptop with dvi to hdmo converter.
And is this 100mhz(or 120mhz) thing really important?. Perhaps matters in games and sports. Worth the price premium?

^Not quite. The blur is noticeable to some of them when viewing close to the panel, not otherwise. Paying a premium of over 10k IMO is not worth it.

when and where are you going to purchase it from? I myself will be picking up a 32X9 today most probably, so maybe a group discount? :D

Desecrator said:
^Don't go for the NX series. The panel has a reflective glass on the front which lends it the monolithic design as Sony claims and reflects everything in the room. For a demo, head to the nearest Sony showroom and give it a shot! OTOH the EX series is a notch better than the entry level BX series and sports a slightly better PQ, easily verified by the default factory settings on both the panels on the same input.

The IPS panels *may* have a slight input lag which may not be very apparent. Besides since your friend doesn't game, this is not an issue per se. I'd rather suggest the S-PVA/AMVA panels instead of the IPS based ones. Black levels are better and the viewing angles do not suffer a tint when viewed from the side.

Do take a look at the Samsung 5 series 32incher and the EX400 from Sony as well. The Philips 32PFL5609 has an IPS panel as well.
With no disrespect to Desecrator, but I'm highly disagree with the statement - "Don't go for the NX series. The panel has a reflective glass on the front which lends it the monolithic design as Sony claims and reflects everything in the room". I am an owner of KLV-32NX500 and I'm using it from almost two weeks, Sony NX has reflective glass, but it DOES not reflects EVERYTHING in the room, to be honest it does NOT reflect anything, obviously it does IF the TV is turned OFF. The reason it has reflective glass (or some monitors have glossy finish) is to make colors more vibrant (especially black which impacts greatly).

It has S-PVA panel for excellent black depth, I also have a doubt that it has 10-bit color depth compared to 8-bit color depth in other TVs , I purchased it from Sony Center for around 43K, initially I was planning to get LG80FR series (JAZZ), but it looked execrable compared to Sony KLV-32NX500.

^Well I was myself in the market hunting for a decent 40 incher a month back but gave up the idea since I was deputed to another place for work. I saw the 40NX400 at Croma and did not quite like the panel solely due to the glossy glass front. The panel however did have a good PQ akin to the EX400 series. So minus the glossy part, it maybe a good display but it all boils down to the buyer ultimately. If one had to go for the looks over the performance of the panel i.e.

the EX700 costs quite a lot,i wouldn't pay the price premium for it,although it does have the USB based wifi connectivity.
the Ex500 is the same minus the wifi and LED edge lighting.

i too don't like the NX range soley because of the glossy screen,sure it varies from person to person,since not all have the same lighting conditions in thier room.

to the OP if u only want to buy it from the showroom with a 40k budget get the EX400,its also around 10k cheaper if you buy it in the grey market.

Desecrator said:
^Well I was myself in the market hunting for a decent 40 incher a month back but gave up the idea since I was deputed to another place for work. I saw the 40NX400 at Croma and did not quite like the panel solely due to the glossy glass front. The panel however did have a good PQ akin to the EX400 series. So minus the glossy part, it maybe a good display but it all boils down to the buyer ultimately. If one had to go for the looks over the performance of the panel i.e.

I don't know really why people complain about glossy finish on Monitors or reflective glass on TVs, traditional TVs and Monitors (CRTs) had glossy finish, well I guess at that time this "reflective glass on TVs or glossy finish on Monitors reflects everything in the room" was not even in question.

I am completely discombobulated with such statements.

Radeon said:
I don't know really why people complain about glossy finish on Monitors or reflective glass on TVs, traditional TVs and Monitors (CRTs) had glossy finish, well I guess at that time this "reflective glass on TVs or glossy finish on Monitors reflects everything in the room" was not even in question.

I am completely discombobulated with such statements.

I can see that you are quite happy with the NX 32incher you have at your place. I wasn't complaining either. On a forum, members are entitled to have their own views as well so the prospective buyer knows what he needs to look out for and what he may avoid!

As for the buyer, caveat emptor!

Back