Camera Panasonic FZ1000

sabby

ex-Mod
This might just be the ultimate sweet-spot for bridge camera users and DSLR users who want reach and keep 18-200 lens set in their camera. Below are the key features :
  • 20.1 megapixel 1"-type MOS sensor
  • 25-400mm equiv. F2.8-4 Leica lens
  • 5-axis 'Power OIS' stabilization
  • XGA OLED electronic viewfinder with 2.36M dots
  • 3-inch fully-articulated LCD with 920K dots
  • 4K (3840x2160) video at 30p, 100Mbps MP4
  • 1080p at up to 60p, 28Mbps (MP4 or AVCHD)
  • 120fps quarter-speed 1080p
  • 3.5mm microphone socket
  • Clean HDMI output
  • Zebra pattern and focus peaking
  • Wi-Fi with NFC
  • 360 shots per charge (CIPA standard)
MRP set at $899 which translates to around 54k. Although it does seem expensive at first thought, the sensor in this is the 1" sensor from legendary RX100 series. Coupled with a fast f/2.8-4 lens and 5-axis OIS and 4k video, it is IMO the killer trade-off for most of the generic users. I've seen many of friends getting entry level DSLR like D3200/550D and snap a 18/55-200mm slow zoom all the time. In proper hands, this 1" sensor with good lens can easily beat those. Plus, there is no missing shots because of lens changes or shakes caused in low light. The FZ35 or FZ200 already was a massive hit and they cost around 30k with run of the mill small 1/2.33" sensors. The only competitor is the Sony RX10 but that cost 85k and stops at 200mm equiv at the tele end. Sony did announce a price cut of MRP to $1k but that hasn't yet been the case in India.

Here is the dpreview first impressions for those who are interested: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz1000

I own an FZ200 and I swear by it. Biggest USP, is its constant lowest f-stop at 2.8 even at its tele-zoom end. For me the small sensor has not been an issue because I restrict my ISO to 400. But I am sure FZ1000 can be a killer if its pricing is moderated.

It will cost more then 65k in india when launched .Panasonic isn't exactly known to price its cameras competitively in india.

You are right, however, even Sony priced their RX10 at 85k which is equivalent to the $1400 MSRP in US so hoping Panasonic will do the same. Average User might think 55k for a non inter-changable lens camera is stupid but compared to any run of the mill entry DSLR + super zooms, it should provide much better IQ and control over the depth for the faster lens.1" is big enough for sensor for great IQ as Sony proved in RX100 and this is the same sensor in action. Plus no missing shot for changing lenses. If I didn't shoot landscapes primarily, I'd get this or RX10 (which is supposed to get a big price cut similar to USA, $400)

Lots of people including me would have bought the RX10 type camera but its insanely priced. I can get a A77mk3 with ridiculously good AF ,if i didn't care about the size or the smaller A6000 both have bigger sensor then the 1" sensor cameras.
In India unofficially there is a big difference between the Sony MRP and the street price.The A77mk3 for example has a MRP of 85k but is available for 72k street price with official sony india warranty.

If you look at import price in zauba, the A77mk2 has a cheaper price then the RX10.Looks like the A77mk2 is selling well compared to the RX10.

I think once the Sony curved sensor makes it way to fixed lens camera ,then we may see cameras with a cheaper price tag due to simpler lens.

I feel the RX100,RX10 and FZ1000 should be cheaper by another $200 . Hopefully prices will come down,now that there is competition in the 1" sensor based cameras

Last edited:
That 4K image grabbing feature is really interesting, the AF on the camera looks to be far faster than any dslr superzoom lens and ISO performance is supposed to be much improved over FZ200 which makes it a viable choice despite the steep price - which will probably be around 60k when it becomes available in India.

Back