Linux Partition Help!

singenaadam

Skilled
My main HDD failed a couple of days back. The 2nd internal HDD (1TB) was OK. Installed Mint.

Partition List #1:
1 - 500GB
2 - 500GB.

Before the failure, I had used MiniPartition Tool from Windows, to create a 60GB partition on the 1 TB hdd, where I can install anything without worrying about data loss.

Partition list #2:
1 - 80GB
2 - 420 GB
3 - 500 GB
-----------------
Now, when I was installing Linux Mint, on the 60GB partition, the prompt was that ~8GB is sufficient. Got a bit greedy, and created a smaller 20GB partition for the root and a 8GB for swap file.

This left a free unallocated space of ~60 GB. This I intended to use for backing up a Windows Image when I install it (sometime when I receive my new HDD).

Partition list #3:
1 - 20GB
2 - 8 GB
3 - 418 GB
4 - 500 GB
? - Unallocated space - 60GB
-----------------

Yesterday I tried formatting the unallocated space using gParted. It said: max 4 partitions, unless it is specified as an extended partition.

Now, I can't disturb the main partition as Mint is already installed.

What to do?

One thought was as & when I install Windows on my new HDD, I will reformat & merge the #1 & #2 partitions, make the number of partitions as 3, format the 4th one. Change the #1 to Extended partition, and create the 20GB & 8GB again. Go a fresh install of Mint on the 20GB.

Is there any other simpler option?

Pl. help. Thank you!
=========================
I put this in the Storage Section. May be it was wrong. Hope to get some replies![DOUBLEPOST=1410952245][/DOUBLEPOST]No one has any idea what to do?!

Last edited:
Are all the four partitions made as 'Primary'? If that is the case, convert 2 of the data partitions as extended logical partitions. Then you will be able to make a new partition.
HDs can have only 4 primary partitions. The rest have to inside the extended partition as logical drives.

Back