PayPal Integration! How Safe?

then paypal becomes an additional payment gateway over the primary one which should be private gateway from like ccavenue etc.. ideally right?

or one can dare to just have paypal for every transaction solely??..

and just allowing verified customers of paypal shall badly restrict the online sale.. wouldn't? although i know that transaction from unverified customers can lead to - THINK ABOUT IT: Beware!!! FRAUD on PayPal and eBay

lounge said:
2. can u suggest me any sites which are selling goods by indian to indians for indians using paypal.. i mean for physical good.. not services.. cos i guess indians would want to transact in INR than dollar...
v-street.net

Amaresh said:
v-street.net

lol their paypal checkout is not working.. showing 404 error.. but i don't get how they transact in INR with paypal.. couldn't check it cos paypal checkout link didn't work..

cos if at paypal the amount would have converted into dollars then the situation remains same.. any idea anyone?

lounge said:
lol their paypal checkout is not working.. showing 404 error.. but i don't get how they transact in INR with paypal.. couldn't check it cos paypal checkout link didn't work..

cos if at paypal the amount would have converted into dollars then the situation remains same.. any idea anyone?

It works perfectly fine. I don't know how you get 404 error. post a screenie if possible. we have a custom script which allows us to deal in USD when you select paypal checkout.

lounge said:
then paypal becomes an additional payment gateway over the primary one which should be private gateway from like ccavenue etc.. ideally right?

or one can dare to just have paypal for every transaction solely??..

and just allowing verified customers of paypal shall badly restrict the online sale.. wouldn't? although i know that transaction from unverified customers can lead to - THINK ABOUT IT: Beware!!! FRAUD on PayPal and eBay

You can tell from the quality of the websites that they lead you to different gateways and are in place to scare people. Paypal isn't that bad. Actually so far its been very good to me. the link is more of an ebay fraud than paypal.

CCav allows you to tap into Indian market with internet banking of 10+ indian banks. I used paypal for two years before adding ccav. No problem so far. ccav bites more from your transaction...so keep it for bigger volumes.

i see.. n i had this thing in mind that there should be someway to transact on website in INR and when the checkout goes to paypal, its in USD.. but don't u think at paypal checkout when ppl see their money in $$ (converted). they may refrain from purchasing or get into calculation..?? (this is my fear too cos i was thinking of a similar procedure for my site)... but anyhow, its a good idea.. and does ur script get the conversion rates live?

Arya said:
CCav allows you to tap into Indian market with internet banking of 10+ indian banks. I used paypal for two years before adding ccav. No problem so far. ccav bites more from your transaction...so keep it for bigger volumes.

i think if ccav had lower or similar rates viz-a-viz pp.. ccav would have been a clear choice in indian market.. right? but right now it should be preferably a choice for bigger volumes... cos it cuts that extra 1 or 2% from the transactions..

and for physical sales for market in US, europe, australia etc.. whats the best choice for medium volume sales..

i enumerate -
1.pp
2.ccav
3. ??
4. ??

what other good gateways do we have?? paypal should be good for pretty much anywhere.. but are there any area specific popular gateways??

thanks!!

I had tried Xoom once, about a year back to transfer my paypal money to my Citibank account. It worked pretty well... But that time paypal didn't have its transfer to bank service... You can have a look at Xoom !!

Arya said:
Keep your transactions acceptable only from verified accounts....I've rarely had a problem with paypal. Support is a bit slow...but professional. Paypal doesn't put money on hold, its people who you're dealing with.

I have dealt with only Verified users. But you can easily get a virtual credit card and verify the account so its not that foolproof. Also when doing online sales you can never know the person who you are dealing with.

varkey said:
I have dealt with only Verified users. But you can easily get a virtual credit card and verify the account so its not that foolproof. Also when doing online sales you can never know the person who you are dealing with.

hmmm is this also a problem with ccavenue? what the heck.. don't we have a neat system where we sellers are protected too..

btw, what the proactical guidelines you guys would suggest dealing as a seller with paypal and ccavneue or any gateway for that matter.. lets put all the practical guidelines you would suggest.. please pour in..

1. paypal specific

2. ccavenue, icici or any indian gateway specific..

3. all other gateways specific..

varkey said:

gotta take the risk. i usually call up the customer if transaction is bigger than 400 USD. Paypal also provides provision where you can restrict shipping to only verified address.

I guess people in west trust paypal more than any other payment gateway. Its easy to integrate. You should try 2checkout too. I use them for clients who pop outta no where. Its pretty solid.

ccav is best for india...also when your shop is generating $$ you can keep that as primary gateway. Its pretty much hassle free. When looking at payment gateways...check if they charge you for invalid cc info ( like wrong ccv /exp date entered). Most of them do. So you loose money even on failed transaction. Paypal doesn't. ccav did that sometime back, not checked in recent times.

btw, the script does update rates in real-time. every 15 mins.

@arya

but what about the discrepancy of the prices on site being in rupees and then later at checkout in dollars effect ur clients.. cos when u reach paypal, you do see what amount you are going to pay.. n that shall be in dollars.. right?

my concern is how do the indian customer react to this??

secondly, i think your idea to call the client n be clear about high amount sales is good.. but if i transfer the paypal amount immediately after when it arrives to some other paypal account or withdraw it to bank.. n then send the goods say in 4 to 5 days, cos the clients are going to be abroad and our terms n conditions would tell them that the goods shall arrive in 5 to 7 business days..

does this make us more secure??

lol.. sorry if i am sounding silly.. but here more than money the reputation of the site shall be involved.. so just making everything sure..

we are selling pretty well after adding it....actually most people asked for paypal. we already had cheque/COD facility. Customers can use that if they don't want paypal.

You can always specify in your T&C that you ship the goods will be shipped only when transaction is verified manually. Just keep the customer informed about the proceedings, no communication pisses them off. Genuine customers will be happy to wait.

@arya

thanks so much.. ur inputs have been invaluable.. and the practical advice i was looking for came from u..

not to forget everyone else who contributed to this thread.. every post made the situation more clear and conclusive..

but i think there shall be some more things which shall keep coming up now n then.. so this thread has a bit more life left..

lounge said:
@arya

thanks so much.. ur inputs have been invaluable.. and the practical advice i was looking for came from u..

not to forget everyone else who contributed to this thread.. every post made the situation more clear and conclusive..

but i think there shall be some more things which shall keep coming up now n then.. so this thread has a bit more life left..

anytime dude! Good luck with your online venture.

btw i missed to answer one of your questions

but what about the discrepancy of the prices on site being in rupees and then later at checkout in dollars effect ur clients

We had prices listed in INR as well as USD....so no trouble for clients :)

Back